There are various ways to search in lists.
This article contains the following sections:
- Selecting a View
- Searching in Lists using Filters
- Search in Jobs Lists using the Search Field
- Custom Fields in Jobs Lists
Selecting a View
At the top of Jobs lists is a drop-down which shows the Views that can be selected for that list.
Where there are more than 10 Views for the list, the View selector displays with a scroll bar.
You can use the Search at the top of the View selector to find a View. Enter one or more characters to find the View(s) that contain what you have entered anywhere in the View name. Click the X in the Search to clear the search text.
Depending on how this has been set for your own practice, the view you select in a particular list will be the default for the rest of the session and also when you logout and login again. This means that when a view has been selected, when you display another list and then return to that list, or logout and login again, the same view will be initially selected in the drop-down. Refer to Sticky Views.
You can also create custom Views. Refer to Saving Changes to a View in Using the Jobs Lists and Saving Changes to the View Layout, Modifying and Deleting Views.
Searching in Lists using Filters
- You can use the Filters to perform searches such as for the Job name. Refer to Using Search in the Filters in Sorting and Filtering Jobs Lists.
- To search on a text column, such as Name, you can filter the column. This allows you to search on an "Exact" match or a match that "Contains" your search text. Refer to Filtering on Text in Sorting and Filtering Jobs Lists.
- Custom Fields can be useful as an additional way to filter the information. Refer below to Custom Fields in Jobs Lists.
Search in Jobs Lists using the Search Field
You can use the Search field at the top of the Jobs lists to search for Jobs.
- Type the search criteria in the Search field.
- Press the Enter key.
In the Jobs lists, the search will find text in the Job Name, Client Name, Client Group, Job State and Job ID.
In the Jobs Board, the search will find text in the Job Name and in the Client Name.
- The search text is not case-sensitive.
- If you type part of a word, this can be anywhere in the text. For example, searching for the text "quarter" will find Jobs with "quarter" in the name and Jobs with "quarterly" in the name.
- You can search for multiple words. For example, you can search for "individual tax".
- Search will find instances that are plurals. For example, searching for "account" will also find "accounts"
- Search will not find singulars. For example, searching for "reports" will not find "report".
- When any Search text has been entered in the Search jobs field, the View cannot be saved. A message displays that you should "apply a Filter to any relevant columns and then save the view".
Clearing the Search Text
To clear the search, click the X next to the search criteria, or delete the search criteria and press the Enter key.
Custom Fields in Jobs Lists
If you have set up Custom Fields in your practice management software, or UDFs in GreatSoft, or added Custom Fields directly in FYI, you can include these as columns in the Jobs lists. You can then sort or filter on the Custom Field column.