Invoices are used to bill clients for time and costs associated with a job. When creating an invoice, you will be able to choose Work in Progress (WIP) or create an interim invoice to reduce the amount owing. Refer to Invoicing Overview (Beta).
Invoices are created as a Draft by default, and using the Workflow tools in FYI can be sent to be reviewed before being approved. Once approved, invoices will be synchronised to Xero.
Invoices are displayed as documents in FYI, appearing on the Documents, Clients, and Jobs workspaces.
Tip: Invoices can be created automatically using a custom Automation Process. Refer to Process Step Details - Create Invoice.
Creating an Invoice with the + button
Before creating an invoice, navigate to the Client - Job workspace. This ensures that the client and job details are prepopulated when creating the invoice.
- In FYI, click the + button in the menu bar.
- Select Invoice.
Tip: Use the Keyboard shortcut "B" on any workspace to automatically open the Create Invoice drawer
- The Create Invoice drawer will display on the right-hand side. In the drawer, select or enter the invoice details or change the defaults that are displayed.
- The Client may have been automatically selected for you, depending on the screen of FYI you're currently on. Otherwise, click in the field and begin typing to search for your client.
- Select the Job to be invoiced. If you created the invoice from the job workspace, this will be prepopulated for you.
- The Date is the invoice date and will be automatically populated with the current date. Click the field to open the calendar and select a new date for the Invoice.
- The Due Date field is updated automatically based on the Due Date Rules configured in the Practice Settings. Refer to Managing Invoices. You can enter a new Due Date by clicking on the field to open the calendar and selecting a new date accordingly.
- The Invoice Type is set to Progress by default and can be changed to Interim, or Final. The option you select will impact whether WIP will be invoiced, reduced, or written off.
Progress - when selecting a progress invoice, you can bill some or all current WIP on the job and have write on/offs applied. Any remaining or additional WIP will remain active for future billing and will not be written off.
Interim - when creating an interim invoice this does not apply any WIP or write on/offs. The invoice amount will add a negative amount to the WIP. Interim invoices are typically used for pre-payments.
Final - used at the end of a job where all remaining WIP is invoiced and any write on/offs are included. Once invoiced, the job state would then be set to "complete".
- Progress - when selecting a progress invoice, you can bill some or all current WIP on the job and have write on/offs applied. Any remaining or additional WIP will remain active for future billing and will not be written off.
- The Invoice Layout can be changed to either Summary or Detailed depending on the level of information to be included for the client. The Detailed layout will display each Job on a separate line, while the Summary will only display a single line on the invoice.
Note: Currently, as you can only invoice one job at a time with FYI, the Job Description is displayed regardless of the Invoice Layout selected. In the future, FYI will support the ability to display invoices in either a Summary or Detailed format.
- The Invoice Amount is calculated automatically based on the outstanding WIP, and a value can be manually entered if required. For Progress and Final Invoice Types, you can also select individual Time and Disbursement entries to apply to the invoice. The Invoice amount will recalculate unless a manual amount was entered before updating WIP entries. Refer to Viewing and Selecting WIP further below.
- The Budget is displayed from the Job Summary tab.
- The Set Custom Field drop-down will let you select a Custom Field to be displayed on the Invoice.
Once a Custom Field has been selected, a new field will be displayed to select the appropriate value for that Custom Field. Refer to Managing Custom Fields.
In the example below, a Custom Field of "Office" has been added, with the Christchurch office selected. This information will be displayed on the invoice for the client.
- The Selected Jobs section will display if the Invoice Type is set to either "Progress" or "Final". The Job will be displayed, along with the WIP value, and the Amount (as entered in the Invoice Amount field above). Click the Job Name link to view and select Time and Disbursement entries associated with the invoice. Refer to Viewing and Selecting WIP below.
If creating an Invoice Type of "Interim" this step is not relevant.
- If a Summary layout has been selected, the Invoice Description displays which defaults from the Job Description. Enter an Invoice Description to be displayed on the Invoice. This field will not be displayed for the Detailed layout.
- Click Create.
The Invoice will display in the Invoices tab for the client with the status of Draft.
The Invoice will also be displayed in the Documents Lists for client the client with a calculator icon.
Once invoiced, any selected Time and Disbursement WIP entries will be updated with the Status of Locked.
Viewing and Selecting WIP
Display the Add Time window
When the Create Invoice drawer is open, to view the WIP entries associated with the invoice, click the Job Name link beneath "Selected Jobs".
The Add Time window will be displayed, with a list of submitted Time and Disbursement entries.
Selecting Time and Disbursement Entries
To remove one or more entries from the invoice, click the checkbox on the left for each row. Click Save (or Cancel to close the window without saving the changes).
The WIP value on the Invoice will be updated to match the total value of the selected Time and Disbursement entries.
Columns and Filtering
Use the Columns tab on the left to view more details about the time entries, for example, the Name (to show the name of the Disbursement) or to view the Write On/Off amount. Click the Filter tab to narrow the results.
The WIP value will be adjusted depending on the Time and Disbursement entries selected.
To approve invoices from the Invoice drawer or using Workflow, refer to Approving Invoices (Beta).