The Practice Settings Custom Fields function allows an FYI Admin to add and change the Custom Field definitions within FYI.
These can only be maintained in FYI by an FYI Admin who can add, edit or remove Custom Fields.
Notes on Practice Management Software
FYI as Practice Manager Source
The following Custom Fields can only be managed in FYI by practices on the Elite plan with FYI set as the Practice Manager source. Refer to Practice Management Sync.
- Time and Disbursements
These Custom Fields are not available when using FYI integrated with any other practice management software.
Xero Practice Manager
- Changes made to the Client or Job Custom Field definitions in FYI will sync to Xero Practice Manager within 15 minutes.
- Any changes made in Xero Practice Manager to the Custom Fields values for a Client or Job, or to the definitions, will automatically sync to FYI overnight.
- The Sync from PM can still be used to sync the values for Custom Fields selected for the specific Client or specific Job from Xero Practice Manager to FYI.
The automatic sync of Custom Fields can be disabled by setting the Sync Custom Fields From XPM option to "Off". Refer to Resetting your connection between FYI and Xero Practice Manager.
The Sync from PM button at the bottom of the Custom fields in the Client - Custom Fields and Job - Custom Fields can be used to sync the values for Custom Fields selected for the specific Client or specific Job from Xero Practice Manager to FYI. Refer to Client Custom Fields and Job Custom Fields.
Note: The Sync from PM does not sync any changes to the Custom Field definitions and these are only synced automatically each evening from Xero Practice Manager.
GreatSoft and Third-Party apps
- Client and Job UDFs in GreatSoft are synced to FYI as a Custom Field definition. These are displayed in the Practice Settings Custom Fields.
- Maintaining or adding Custom Fields in FYI will not synchronise with GreatSoft.
- If you have any third-party apps updating Custom Fields within Xero Practice Manager, these are not synced to FYI automatically and they would need to be manually updated (refer to Sync from PM in Client Custom Fields and Job Custom Fields.
Editing Custom Field Values or Selections
An FYI Admin, or a user in a User Group with Permissions enabled for Edit Custom Fields, can edit the value or selection for a Client or Job Custom Field from the Client - Custom Fields tab or the Job - Custom Field tab.
For practices synchronised with Xero Practice Manager, any changes made in FYI to the Client or Job Custom Field values will sync within 15 minutes.
If you prefer that changes to Client and Job Custom Fields are only made in Xero Practice Manager, ensure that no users are given the Edit Custom Fields permission.
Note: Client and Job Custom Fields are not linked. If you wish to filter on a custom field value in a Client List that field must be available in the Client List. This is the same for Job Lists where the column must be available as a Job Custom Field.
Displaying the Custom Field Definitions
- Log in to FYI as an FYI Admin.
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select General.
- Click on the Custom Fields tab.
A list of the Custom Field definitions displays. Custom Fields are displayed alphabetically.
You can use the Search field to search in the Custom Fields.
The Custom Fields list displays as follows.
Adding a new Custom Field Definition
- From the Custom Fields list, click Add.
- Enter the Custom Field Name.
- Checkmark where the Custom Field will be Applied to. For example, if "Client" is ticked, the Custom Field will be displayed on the Client - Custom Fields tab.
- Select the Type. This determines how the value can be entered or selected by a user.
When the Type is selected as "Drop-down", you also need to enter the options that will be available for that Custom Field. In the following example, the "Client Level" Custom Field will display Gold, Silver, and Diamond, as drop-down options.
- Click Save.
Changing a Custom Field Definition
Click on a Custom Field in the list to open the drawer on the right-hand side. You can make changes to the Name or to what it Applies to.
You cannot change the Type. If a Custom Field has been set up with the incorrect Type it will need to be removed and added as a new Custom Field.
You can add or delete options for a drop-down type Custom Field. If you delete an option in a Drop-down type Custom Field, this will not remove it from any Clients or Jobs it has already been selected in but it will not be available to be selected in any others.
Deleting a Custom Field Definition
Select the Custom Field in the list, click the Trash Can and confirm.
- If the Custom Field has been used, it will be removed from any relevant Clients or Jobs. The deletion is synced to Xero Practice Manager.
- If the Custom Field is used in any Automation Processes, no notification is given that it is being used, but it will automatically be removed from the relevant Processes.
Using Custom Fields as a Merge Field
To use Merge Fields to insert Custom Fields into your documents, refer to the following articles:
- Including Merge Names in Excel Templates
- Including Merge Fields in Excel Templates
- Including Merge Fields in Word Templates and Stationery
- Including Merge Fields in Email Templates and Signatures
- Including Merge Fields in Automations
Custom User Roles
As well as the Custom Field Types available in your practice management software, there is an additional type of user which is used to add Custom Fields in FYI that are Custom User Roles for Clients and/or Jobs.
This allows a value for a Custom Field to be selected as one of the active users in FYI user so that customised user roles can be set up. A Custom User Role can be used to record the user assigned to additional categories such as Accountant, Bookkeeper, Team Coordinator, Supervisor, etc.
Custom User Roles can only be added and maintained in FYI.
When the Type is selected as "User", the Custom Field is added in the same way as other types.
Note: When adding a Custom Field with the Type of "User" in FYI, this is synced to Xero Practice Manager with the Type set as "Text".
Custom User Roles can then be used in the same way as Partner and Manager in Client and Job lists to sort and filter. They can also be selected in Automations when creating a Task as the Assignee and in the Workflow as the Owner or Approver.
Refer to Custom User Roles.
Note: Unlike other Custom Fields, the Sync from PM function on the Client - Custom Fields or Job - Custom Fields tabs will not update any changes if these are made to a Custom User Role in Xero Practice Manager.