The following list outlines the standard items that we recommend should be set up and configured for your practice before you Go Live with FYI.
Your Onboarding Consultant will assist you, and you can contact the FYI Support Team at any time if you need help.
Refer to the "Initial Setup" checklist in your onboarding plan for in-app links, relevant help articles and other useful resources. You can use this checklist to monitor your progress as you work through each task.
Completing the recommended Admin Training will also assist you with these configurations.
This article contains the following sections:
- Search and Retrieval
- Process Automations
Check if any Client Security is required
Confirm any clients that require additional security and specify the users that need permission to access. Simply send the relevant details to your Onboarding Consultant, and they will assist with the set up. Refer to Client Security.
Optimise your practice data
In order to maximise the key features in FYI, some simple housekeeping of your practice data is recommended. Refer to Optimising your Practice Data.
Check your Email AutoFile settings
Learn how Email AutoFile works, configure your settings, and follow our tips and tricks to ensure your team gets the most out of this feature. Download the Email AutoFile Quick Reference Guide in Email AutoFile Best Practice.
Test the default Email Signature for your practice
Your Onboarding Consultant will ensure that a default email signature is created in FYI as part of the initial set-up for your practice. All you need to do is test the signature by creating an email in FYI.
- To learn how to create your first email in FYI, refer to Creating your First Email in FYI.
- To learn how to edit your signature, watch the Creating Email Signatures video tutorial in Managing Templates and Stationery.
Create Email Templates
Email Templates hold the standard text for the body of an email and allow you to automatically create and file standard client emails quickly and easily. They are stored and maintained in the Templates Cabinet in the Knowledge Workspace in FYI.
- To learn how to create email templates, watch the Creating Email Templates video tutorial in Managing Templates and Stationery.
- For more detailed instructions, refer to the section Templates and Signatures for Email.
Test your Practice Letterhead
Your Onboarding Consultant will ensure that your practice letterhead is created in FYI as part of your initial set-up. All you need to do is test the letterhead by creating a letter in FYI.
- To learn how to create your first letter in FYI, refer to Creating your First Letter in FYI.
- To learn how to edit your practice letterhead, watch the Creating Stationery video tutorial in Managing Templates and Stationery.
Create Document Templates
Document Templates hold the standard text for the body of a word document, excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint Presentation and allow you to automatically create and file standard documents quickly and easily. They are stored and maintained in the Templates Cabinets in the Knowledge Workspace in FYI.
You can include Merge Fields in a Word Template to bring in content from Xero Practice Manager and from FYI. Merge Fields need to be added in a specific format.
- To learn how to create document templates, watch the Creating Document Templates video tutorial in Managing Templates and Stationery.
- For more detailed instructions on including Merge Fields, refer to Including Merge Fields in Word Templates and Stationery.
Install the FYI Desktop App
The FYI Desktop App can be used to edit any FYI document independently of OneDrive. This is useful especially for editing PDFs using your default PDF editor, and if you prefer an alternative to OneDrive when opening and editing documents from FYI. Refer to FYI Desktop App for detailed instruction.
Search and Retrieval
FYI’s Default Views can be configured by creating new standard views for your Clients list, Documents list, Jobs list and Tasks list.
Changes made to the layout of a view, such as columns added, changes to the sequence of the columns, filters and search criteria, can be saved using the Save View. This saves the layout and makes it available to all users in your practice.
An example of useful columns to include in your default Client view may include:
- Status which is set to Active
- Client or Export code depending on whether you are used to working with Client Names or Client codes
- Custom fields are also available for you to include in your views
To create new views for your Client List, refer to Saving Changes to the View Layout, Modifying and Deleting Views.
You can configure how Jobs display in the list views and Job boards in FYI. This allows you to customise the order of the Job States, which States appear in the board and select colours specific to your practice. You can also nominate which of the Job States you use in your practice to indicate a closed job in FYI. Refer to Managing Job States.
The workflow functions in FYI allow you to manage the internal review and approval of emails and documents. Workflows can be set for any type of email or document so that they can be managed from "in progress" and 'in review", to "approval" and if relevant, "client signature".
To configure Workflows for your practice, start by setting the Approval Level to “Approval” for each user that will need to have authority to review and approve documents. This can be done for each user in their FYI user profile. Refer to Workflow Basics.
To configure Collaborate for your practice, you will need to link your OneDrive account, create a Collaborate Invitation template, and configure your Collaborate settings. Refer to Overview to Configuring Collaborate.
It is also useful to set up a custom process to send a notification when a client has uploaded documents to their OneDrive Upload Folder. Refer to Client Upload Notification.
Your Onboarding Consultant will discuss any integrations recommended for your practice for Go Live.
Most practices would consider connecting the following apps from Day 1:
- Xero Suite - Xero, Xero Tax (AU) - refer to Xero Integration.
- BGL or NowInfinity - refer to the section Corporate Compliance Apps.
- Your preferred Digital Signing App - refer to the section Digital Signing Apps.
A number of Sample Process Automations come shipped with FYI and must be configured to suit your practice requirements. As a minimum, the following sample processes must be checked and configured before Go Live:
- Xero Tax Return AutoFile (Australia Only) - Xero Tax Return AutoFile (Australia Only).
- Automatic Import of ASIC Statements - refer to Import from BGL or Import from NowInfinity.
- Digital Signature Confirmation - set up a custom process that sends a notification that documents have been signed. Refer to Client Signed Notification.
Refer also to the section Sample Processes.