You can create and new emails from within FYI.
- By selecting Save or Send as Draft in FYI, you can use the Editor to type the email, or make changes if you have selected a template. You can then leave the email as draft in FYI to send later or so it can be sent by another user, or send the email directly from FYI.
Note If a draft email will need to be edited or reviewed by any other users within your practice, it must be created in FYI as an email draft using the Draft in FYI option.
- By selecting Save or Send as Draft in Outlook, the email is added to your the FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook. You can then open the email from the FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook and use Outlook to type the email, or make changes using all the features of Outlook. This allows you to use additional features of Outlook such as including additional recipients, setting the importance flag, setting the read receipt or attaching documents from Windows Explorer. You can then send the email directly from Outlook. Refer also to Creating an Email from Outlook.
Once the email has been created as a Draft in Outlook, if you make any changes from Outlook, you cannot send the draft back to FYI. You need to make all required changes and send it from Outlook. In FYI, you can only Preview the email (with the Preview tab on the drawer).
- If you do not need to make any changes to the content (when using a template) you can select Save or Send as Send Immediately.
If there is an Email Signature set up for your practice, the text and images from this will be automatically added to all emails created from FYI. Refer to Adding an Email Signature to FYI.
You can also select one of the templates from a library of templates maintained for your practice. This allows you to create emails with consistent content and layout. The template can also use merge fields from Xero Practice Manager to populate the email content.
Creating a New Email in FYI as a Draft in FYI
- From FYI, click + New
Select Email from the list of document types.
Or, from the workspace, simply press the shortcut key E for a new email.
- In the Drawer, select or enter the filing fields for how the email will be filed in FYI, or change the defaults that are given.
Client - type at least three characters of the client name to display all clients containing those characters anywhere in the Client Name. Then click to select the required client.
Change To- if the email is being sent to a different addressee other than the client that it is being filed under, click the Change To link and select the required addressee.
Email Address - if the client has multiple contact email addresses, these will appear in the Email Address drop down and you can choose which email address to send the email to.
You can also send the email to an email address not otherwise held for the selected client in FYI by typing the address directly in the Email. This creates the email address just for this email and it is not otherwise saved.
Template - if required, select from one of the templates.
Categories - such as Cabinet, Work Type, Year. If Jobs are enabled for the selected Cabinet, you can also select a Xero Practice Manager Job for the client (refer to Jobs).
Tags and Keywords - If the selected Cabinet has been enabled for Tags and/or Keywords you will see these as additional Categories. You can create or select one or more Tags as additional categorisation. You can enter one or more Keywords that can be used when searching for the document. Refer to Tags and Keywords.
Name - this identifies the email internally and is the name that displays in the lists in FYI.
If a default name is provided, for example from the selected template, you can change this.
Add Document - you can attach one or more documents that have been filed in FYI. Clicking Add Document displays the Document Search from which you can search for and select one or more documents. The Document Search defaults to the client and any filing details you have selected to create the email for but these can be changed to find any other documents in FYI. You can then select how you want to send the attachment (OneDrive or Email) and if you want to include the attachment as a PDF. See also below Adding Attachments to an Email in FYI.
- In Save or Send select Draft in FYI.
- Click Create.
The email displays in the Editor.
- You can make any changes from the Editor, click the drop-down next to the Draft in Outlook button and then select Send Immediately.
- You can leave the email as a Draft in FYI.
When an email has been created as Draft in FYI, it shows in the lists with a blue Draft icon.
- You can click the Draft in Outlook in the Editor to add the email to the FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook and make further changes from Outlook. This changes the email to Draft in Outlook (see below).
Note If you need to add a CC email address or add any attachments where the files are not in FYI, this needs to be done via Outlook. From the Editor, click Draft in Outlook button to add the email to the FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook.
Making changes to the Draft Email in FYI
When the email is Draft in FYI, you can return to it later and make changes before sending it. For example,
- If attachments have been added to the draft email, you can remove any of the attachments.
- You can add documents as attachments.
- You can add tasks or comments to notify other user(s) about the draft.
- You can enter or change the email text.
Entering or Changing the text in a Draft Email
- Select the Draft email and click the Editor tab.
- Make any changes as needed in the Editor. You can click Full Screen if required, to expand the email to the full screen.
To send the email
Select the Draft email in a list and click the Send button in the tool bar to send the email.
Or from the opened Editor, click the drop-down next to the Draft in Outlook button and then select Send Immediately.
Creating a New Email in FYI as a Draft in Outlook
- Follow the steps above to create a new email.
- Select or enter the filing fields.
- In Save or Send select Draft in Outlook.
- Click Create.
When an email has been created as Draft in Outlook, it shows in lists with a grey Draft icon.
- The email is added to the FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook.
This also displays the browser Outlook which you can use to edit the email
- Locate the email in the FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook.
Depending on the template selected, merge fields from Xero Practice Manager and other information may have been automatically brought into the email.
Sending the Email from Outlook or Leaving it as Draft
At this point, the email is Draft, in the FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook. You can do one of the following:
- Make any additional changes to the email, and send it from Outlook.
In Outlook, click Send.
When you send the email, it will be automatically filed in FYI.
- In Outlook, make any additional changes to the email, save it, and leave it in Outlook as Draft. If you need to make any further changes to the draft, this must be done in Outlook.
- In FYI, the email will show as "Draft in Outlook" and you can only Preview it in FYI using the Preview tab on the drawer.
- You can also add a Comment or a Task. This is useful if, for example, you want another user to send the email for you, or you want another user complete or to check it before sending it. Refer to Adding Comments and Notifying Team Members and Adding a Task to a Filed Email in Outlook.
Re-open a Draft in Outlook email from FYI
When an email is Draft in Outlook, you can re-open it from FYI.
- Select the email from a list.
- In the drawer, click the Preview tab to display the Preview panel.
- Click Re-Open in the Preview panel.
If you have your settings so that Open Outlook is "Online", the draft is automatically opened in Outlook in your browser. (refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your Own Login.
If you have your settings so that Open Outlook is "Desktop", from thr Re-open button, you can select the option Re-open in Browser.
- When the draft is open in the browser, click the Continue editing icon (that shows as the pencil).
- In Outlook via the browser, you can make any changes and click Send. This will remove the draft from the FYI - Drafts folder.
You can select Save draft from the menu that displays with the elipsis (...) to save the changes and leave the email in FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook.
Creating a New Email in FYI and Send Immediately
- Follow the steps above to create a new email.
- Select or enter the filing fields.
- In Save or Send select Send Immediately.
- Click Create and the email is sent.
Adding Attachments to an Email in FYI
When creating an email in FYI, you can attach one or more documents that have been filed in FYI.
- From the Create Email, click Add Document.
This displays the Document Search from which you can search for and select one or more documents. The Document Search defaults to the client and any filing details you have selected to create the email.
The Search options can be changed to find any other documents in FYI. You can also select more than one value for the categories to widen the search and you can enter text in the Name option to search for documents with specific text in the name.
- Click to select one or more document. The selected document(s) display with a checkmark.
- Click Done.
The Create Email re-displays with the selected document(s) in the Attachments section.
- Below the selected documents, check the settings for how you want to Send Attachments (OneDrive or Email) and if you want to include the attachment as a PDF. If needed change how the attached documents will be sent when the email is sent.
Refer also to Creating an Email by Sending Attached Document(s)
To attach a document from your OneDrive or Windows Explorer, save the email as Draft in Outlook. Then edit the email from you FYI - Drafts folder in your Outlook and add the attachment from there.
Up to 10 files can be attached to an email. There is a total limit of 3MB to the size of the file(s) attached.