Categories are the way in which documents are tagged to create a filing structure. Each practice can configure the Categories depending on their specific requirements.
Within each Category, are Options which are the values that are selected by users for that Category. For example, for the "Year" category, the values will be a list of years (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, etc) from which users select the required financial year that the document or email relates to.
The order in which which Options are saved in the Category settings controls the order in which they display in the drop-down list when making the selection in the drawer and also in the Filter Drawer. You can drag and drop the Options to place them in the order you want, for example, with the most commonly used at the top (refer to Using the Document Drawer and Filter Drawer).
Displaying the Categories
- Login as an FYI administrator.
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select Documents.
- Go to the Categories tab.
A list of Categories displays.
Removing a Category
- Before removing a Category, check if there are any documents filed under the Category you need to delete by displaying the All view in the documents list and use the Category as a filter. Use Bulk Update to first move any documents to a different Category. Refer Bulk Update of Filing Details.
To remove a Category, on the list of Categories, click the Remove link and confirm.
Before deleting it, a message is displayed if the Category is assigned to any users and/or assigned to any clients.
- If there are any users assigned to the Category, you can use Bulk Update in the Practice Settings - Admin - Users to update the users (refer to Managing Users).
- If there are any client that have the Category assigned in their default filing, you can filter the Clients list on the category and use Bulk Update in the Clients list to update the clients (refer to Clients Bulk Update).
Changing a Category
Click on a Category in the list to display its name and the Options. The Options are the values that can be selected for that Category.
This also allows you to select if a Category can be selected when setting up a Template as there may be some that are not relevant for Templates.
Changing the Order in which Options Display in the Drawer and Filter Drawer
Click the move icon on the left-hand side of the Option and drag and drop it up or down to change the order in which they display in the in the drop-down list when making the selection in the drawer and also in the Filter Drawer. This allows you to to show, for example, the most commonly used at the top. The following example shows how to change the order of the Year Options.
Adding or Removing Options to a Category
- To add a new Option click the Add Option to Category link, enter the name of the new option and click Save.
To save any changes made to a Category, click Save.
- To remove an Option, click the Remove icon next to it.
Note: If the option has been used as the filing details for any documents, the option will still show in the filing details for those document(s), but it cannot be selected or used as a filter.
Adding a New Category
- From the Category list, click the Add Category button.
- Enter the Category Name
Click the Add Option to Category link and enter the Options that will display as values for the new Category.
- Click Save.
Note: When adding a new Category, check the Cabinets and, if relevant, include the new Category in the Cabinets. If you do not add a new Category to a Cabinet, it will not be available for users to select. Refer to Managing Cabinets.
If any new Options are added to a Category, these will be automatically available for the relevant Category when it is selected when creating an email or document.
Conditional Categories/Filtered Categories
The values that are set up for a Category are, by default, available in all Cabinets that have that Category selected.
For any of the Categories, you can apply a conditional Filter so the choices of the values that appear for that category display depending on which Cabinet is selected. This can be useful if you have a lot of options for a category. When a Cabinet is selected in the filing details, and any of the Category options have not been included in the Filter, those options are not displayed as one of the choices for selection.
For example, this could be set up so the Work Type category option the category option "Tax Returns" is only available when the Cabinet "Financials and Tax" is selected, or the Work Type category options "Invoicing" and "Credits" are only be applicable when the Cabinet "Practice Admin" is selected.
To set the Cabinet Filter for a Category option:
- Click the Filter cabinet icon next to the relevant Category option.
- Click the Filtered switch.
The Cabinets display.
- Click to select the Cabinet(s) to include.
The Filtered Cabinet(s) display in green.
In the following example, the Work Type option "Mortgage Broking" has been set with the Cabinet "Wealth as the filter.
- Click Save.
In this example, the Category option only shows if the Cabinet "Wealth" is selected for an email or document.
If another Cabinet is selected where this Category option is not filtered, the option is not available.
Categories for the Templates Cabinet
The Templates Cabinet is automatically added to the practice's Cabinets. All Templates, Word Stationery and Email Signatures are created in the Templates Cabinet and all users have access to the Templates Cabinet. Refer to Creating Templates for Word, Spreadsheet or Presentation and Creating Email Templates and Signatures.
You can add Categories to the Templates Cabinet to further categorise the Templates, Stationery and Signatures. For example, you could add a Category such as "Team" (to indicate who would use the Template) and the Category "Work Type" (to indicate when they would be used).