Documents include a Delivery Status, to indicate if a document has been sent to a client, or to indicate that a document has been received.
- You can use the Share button to send a document from FYI via email or via OneDrive.
- You can use the Delivery button to mark that a document has been sent by a method other than email, for example, by postal service, courier, hand delivered, etc.
- You can also use the the Delivery button to mark that a document has been received.
When a document has been marked as "Sent" or "Received", you can use the Mail Register views (Mail Register - Sent and Mail Register - Received) to list these documents. Refer to Emails Sent, Received and Draft and Mail Register Views.
Sending a Document from FYI
Share allows you to send a document from FYI via email or via OneDrive. The document is sent either as the native document(s) or as PDF attachment(s). The underlying email is automatically filed in FYI and a record of the send is shown in the Activity of each document that was sent. The Delivery Status of the document is set to "Sent" and the Sent On is set as the current date and time. Refer to Sending Documents via Email - Share and Sending Documents via OneDrive - Share.
Using the Delivery Button to Mark that a Document has been Sent
When a document has been sent out physically (for example, by postal service, courier, hand delivered, etc.) you can use the Delivery button to update the Delivery Status and mark that it has been "Sent". This would be used for a document such as a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, a PDF, or a PowerPoint presentation.
- Select one or more document in a list to mark as sent. Refer to Selecting Documents in a List.
- Click the Delivery button in the tool bar. Or for a single document, right-click and select Delivery from the tool bar pop-up menu (refer to Tool Bar and Right-Click Functions).
- Select Mark Sent.
The Mark Sent popup displays.
- Select the method.
- You can also add any Notes, up to 750 characters. This is useful when sent by Courier or Express Post to record the courier ID or a tracking number.
- Click OK.
This changes the Delivery Status of the document to "Sent". It also sets the Sent On to the current date and time.
Any Notes entered display with the method in the Delivery Method column. This can be displayed in Documents and Client - Documents list using the Mail Register - Sent view. Refer to Emails Sent, Received and Draft and Mail Register Views.
Marking that a Document has been Received
You can also use the Delivery button to mark that a document has been "Received".
- Select the document to mark as received.
- Click the Delivery button.
- Select Mark Received.
This sets the Delivery Status to "Received" and also sets the Sent On to the current date and time.
Clearing the Delivery Status
To clear the Delivery Status, and reset this to blank:
- Select the document to clear.
- Click the Delivery button.
- Select Clear.
Marking an Email as Sent with the Delivery button
If needed, you can mark that an email that is still draft in FYI has been sent from Outlook in the same way using the Delivery button.
Setting Postal Service as the Default Send Method
If a client always needs documents to be sent by postal service, "Postal Service" can be set as the default for the client in the Clients - Details tab for the Send Attachments setting (refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client).
When Postal Service is set as the default, if a user goes to send a document (by clicking Share in the tool bar), the Create button is not shown and a message displays at the bottom of the Drawer as a reminder.
You can click Cancel to stop the send and send the document by post.
This can be overruled by changing the Send via method so if the document is an exception it can be sent, for example, by email.
When a document has been sent by the Postal Service, use the Delivery button to record this.