The scanning and distribution of inbound postal mail is a daily occurrence in most accounting practices. FYI allows scanned documents to be added 'in bulk' and then distributed to team members via their individual In Tray. Once distributed, each user can then review online and complete any filing where required.
You can also automatically import from your OneDrive FYI - My Imports folder. Whenever files are added to this folder, FYI detects this and automatically imports them. Refer to Using OneDrive FYI - My Imports to Automatically Import to your In Tray.
Note: Check with the provider of your scanner or multi-function device for information on any functionality or apps that are available for that device to scan directly to each user’s OneDrive in PDF format. The function or app would allow you to scan a document on the device and it is automatically added to the relevant user's FYI - My Imports OneDrive folder. Depending on the device, this may be an app that runs on a phone or tablet.
Step 1 - Scan the Documents
- Scanning inbound postal mail is generally a centralised process, completed by a member of the practice administration team. FYI recommends the use of a high-speed document scanner, that separates each piece of postal mail, into individual PDF documents. These documents are then saved to a local Windows Explorer Directory.
- You can then select all of the scanned PDF documents in Windows Explorer, then drag and drop them into your FYI In Tray.
Step 2 - Bulk Profiling
- Once dragged into FYI you then need to complete the filing details.
- Click Create
Step 3 - Filing and Distribution
- The scanned postal mail will now appear in your FYI In Tray.
- From here each document can be selected, filing updated, including document names and client.
- If you click File or File & Close at this stage the document will be filed against the client.
- If you need to send the document to a different user's In Tray, you can use the Move function. This will allow the new owner to review the document and complete filing where needed. Refer to Moving Emails/Document to another User's In Tray in Managing your In Tray.