Before reviewing users, ensure you have set up the User Groups. Refer to Managing User Groups.
When users are added from your Xero Practice Manager, FYI imports all your employees. They are all imported as "Active".
As part of the initial configuration:
- You need to review all users and set any that do not need access to FYI as "Inactive".
- You also need to select the User Group that each active user belongs to.
As part of the installation, all users are initially added to the User Group Standard User.
Note: Only Active Users will be included in your monthly billing calculation.
Updating a User/Assigning a User as Administrator
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select Admin
- Go to the User tab. A list of all users displays.
- Click on a user to open the User Profile drawer.
- Making a User Active or Inactive
Within the Drawer, mark that a user is "Inactive" by clicking the Active option to "Off".
Mark that a user is "Active" by clicking the Active option to "On".
- Assigning a User Group and Approval Level to an Active User
User Group - select the User Group that you wish the user to be in.
To make the user an Administrator, select the User Group as "Admin".
Approval Level - select the Approval Level for the user from the drop-down. This is used in the workflow and allows the more senior members to sign off on documents.
Email Alias - this is optional. An alternate email can be entered so that if the user is unable to use the original email, they can login with the email alias and work as a normal user.
Role - For each user, you can enter the user's role within the practice. This is entered as free format text (for example Director, Partner, Accountant). This can be added to the sign-off in emails and documents by including the Merge Code "AuthorRole" in templates. Refer to the articles in the sections Stationery and Templates and Stationery and Templates for Email.
Qualifications - You can enter the user's qualifications. These are entered as free text. This can be added to the sign-off in emails and documents by including the Merge Code "AuthorQualifications" or "OwnerQualifications" (for the owner of the document) in templates. Refer to the articles in the sections Stationery and Templates and Stationery and Templates for Email.
- Click Save.
The Send Invitation button can be used to send an email to the relevant user as an invitation to start using FYI. You can invite new users to start using FYI at any time. The Send Invitation button displays for any users who are marked as "Active". The email includes links to the FYI Login page and to the Microsoft AppSource pages so they can add the FYI Apps individually to their Microsoft Office and Outlook accounts. Refer to Inviting New Users.
New users are automatically imported as active users into FYI when they are added to your Xero Practice Manager.
Adding New Users Directly to FYI
You can also add FYI users directly to FYI. This can be useful, for example, if you have financial planners and that you do not want to add and pay for as users in Xero Practice Manager, but you want them to have access to information in FYI.
- From the User tab, click Add User.
A blank User Profile displays.
- Enter the new user's Name and Email.
- In the same way as for an imported user, select the User Group, or if the user is an administrator select "Admin". Mark the new user as Active, and if relevant enter the Role and select the Approval Level and Email Alias.
- Click Save.
Note: It would be rare to do so, but you can add a user directly to FYI that will also be added to Xero Practice Manager. If you need to do this, you will then need to maintain any changes to that user both in Xero Practice Manager and in FYI.