Users (Staff) are imported from Xero Practice Manager and continuously synchronised in FYI. Refer to Synchronising Clients, Staff, Jobs, Time, Tax Returns with Xero Practice Manager and Running a Manual Sync with Xero Practice Manager and Additional Notes on Syncing.
This article contains the following sections:
- Displaying the Users List
- Updating a User/Assigning a User as Administrator
- Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Edit
- Displaying Additional Columns in Users List
- Send Invitation
- New, Changed and Deleted Users from Xero Practice Manager
- Adding New Users Directly to FYI
- Changing the Name of a User in FYI
- Learn Dashboard View
Displaying the Users List
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select Admin
- Go to the User tab. A list of all users displays.
Initially, this displays the active users.
To show the inactive users, click the Unhide inactive users button.
To hide the inactive users, click the Hide inactive users button.
Note: Any users that are FYI Support users show "Free Account" and you are not being charged for these users. Ensure you leave any FYI Support users active.
Updating a User/Assigning a User as Administrator
From the Users list, click on a user to open the User Profile drawer.
Making a User Active
Mark that a user is "Active" by clicking the Active option to "On".
Making a User Inactive
Mark that a user is "Inactive" by clicking the Active option to "Off". An Inactive user will not be able to login to FYI and will see the message "No account associated with your email address"
- Before making a user Inactive, refer to the FAQ Steps to Complete before Offboarding a Team Member or Making a User Inactive.
- Making a user inactive or deleting the user in Xero Practice Manager, will not make the user inactive in FYI. The user needs to be changed to "Inactive" in FYI.
- Any users who are "Inactive" will still appear as internal users when selecting Recipients in Emails as there may be instances where the user is Inactive in FYI, but your practice still requires an email to be sent to them (refer to Adding and Changing Recipients when Creating an Email).
Assigning the User Group
User Groups determine the Cabinet(s) the users in that group can access.
User Groups can also be set up with the Permissions to determine which FYI functions the users in that group can access. Alternatively, User Groups can be set with only the Cabinets or only the Permissions. Refer to Managing User Groups.
- To make the user an FYI Administrator, select the Cabinet Group as "Admin".
- When selecting the Cabinet Group, if this is set up with both Cabinets and Permissions (as in the example above), only the Cabinet Group is selected and Permission Group is not available.
- If a Cabinet Group is selected that does not include Permissions, you need to then select a User Group that holds the Permissions.
Assigning Approval Level to an Active User
Select the Approval Level for the user from the drop-down. This is used in the workflow and allows the more senior members to sign off on documents. Refer to Workflow Basics.
The Email Alias is only relevant for users that are added directly to FYI. An alternate email can be entered so that if the user is unable to use the original email, they can login with the email alias. You cannot add or edit the Email Alias in an existing user, but you can delete it from a user's profile.
If a user needs login to FYI with an Email Alias, this needs to be linked to the Xero Practice Manager login email address using the Magic Link. Refer to Logging into FYI with an Email Alias set up using Magic Link.
From FYI, clicking Settings in the top right-hand corner, this displays the name of the user and also the email address they logged in as so they can check which email address they used to log in.
Note: If a user has an Alias set up in their profile, email notifications will be sent to the email address that is set up as the Alias.
Assigning User Settings
For each user, you can enter the user's role within the practice. This is entered as free format text (for example Director, Partner, Accountant). This can be added to the sign-off in emails and documents by including the Merge Code "AuthorRole" in templates. Refer to the articles in the sections Templates and Stationery and Templates and Signatures for Email.
You can enter the user's qualifications. These are entered as free text. This can be added to the sign-off in emails and documents by including the Merge Code "AuthorQualifications" or "OwnerQualifications" (for the owner of the document) in templates.Refer to the articles in the sections Templates and Stationery and Templates and Signatures for Email.
A Default Email Signature can be set up for your practice can be set up that will be used for all users unless a specific Email Signature is selected in the user profile. Refer to Creating Email Templates and Signatures.
- To use the Default Email Signature, leave Signature in the User profile blank.
- To use another Email Signature, select the Signature that is applicable for the user.
The name of the Partner associated with the user can be selected. This would commonly be where the user works for only one, or for one main Partner. When a user has a Partner assigned in their User Profile, they can use the Show documents of Clients for My Partner function in document lists. This displays documents for any Clients that are assigned to the Partner who that user is associated with in their User Profile (refer to Document Lists). The Partner can also be set for more than user with Bulk Edit (see below Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Edit).
Cabinet and Categories
FYI provides the ability to set Filing Defaults for the Cabinet and the Categories for each client (refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client). If Filing Defaults are not set up at a client level, FYI checks to see if the user filing the documents has their own personal Filing Defaults when creating documents and for AutoFile. Users can set up or change these defaults themselves from My Settings (refer to Setting Defaults and Filing Defaults for your Own Login - My Settings).
The Cabinet and any Categories used as the Filing Defaults for a user can also be set and updated in the User Profile. Any changes made are reflected in the user's My Settings.
In the User Profile, select the Cabinet. The Categories for that Cabinet display so that any selections can optionally be made for the default Category to apply as the default.
The Cabinet and Categories can also be set for more than user with Bulk Edit (see below Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Edit).
Saving the User Settings
Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Edit
When one or more user is selected in the Users list, you can click the Bulk Edit button to change user settings. This can also be used to set the default Cabinet and Category for the selected user(s).
The Bulk Update displays.
If any of the fields are not changed, this will keep the original setting in each of the selected users. A message displays in the drawer as a reminder of this.
- Select one or more user in the Users list.
- Click the Bulk Edit button.
- To set the default Cabinet or Categories for the selected User(s), in the Bulk Update, select the Cabinet.
Then select the Categories as relevant.
- You can use Bulk Update to enable/disable Use FYI Desktop for all or selected users. In Bulk Update set Use FYI Desktop to "Yes" or "No" as required for the users being updated. Refer to FYI Desktop App.
- To change any other settings for the selected User(s), select these as relevant in Bulk Update.
- Apply to gives you the option of the number of selected documents, or the number of filtered users currently displayed in the User List.
- Click Run.
Displaying Additional Columns in Users List
In the Users list, you can display the Cabinet that has been set as the default for users by adding the Cabinet column to the Users list. This will also display the default Cabinet where users have set this themselves from their individual settings.
You can also display the users' Approval Level and the Role Cabinets (that is the Cabinets the user can access according to the User Group the user is assigned to). If any of the Role Cabinets have been deleted these display with "(deleted)" after the name in the list. Refer to Adding/Removing/Moving Columns in a List.
The Send Invitation button on the Users list can be used to send an email to the relevant user as an invitation to start using FYI. You can invite new users to start using FYI at any time. The Send Invitation button displays for any users who are marked as "Active". The email includes links to the FYI Login page and to the Microsoft AppSource pages so they can add the FYI Add-ins individually to their Microsoft Office and Outlook accounts. Refer to Inviting New Users to Start Using FYI.
New, Changed and Deleted Users from Xero Practice Manager
You can add, edit and remove users in Xero Practice Manager and this will synchronise through to FYI.
New users are automatically imported as active users into FYI when they are added to your Xero Practice Manager. If you need to restrict the usage of FYI to a subset of your Xero Practice Manager users, this can be done by making them inactive in FYI (refer below to Making a User Inactive).
To add and edit users in Xero Practice Manager, go to the Business tab and select Settings, then click on Staff. Click Invite Staff, fill out the required details and click Save.
Any changes will synchronise through to FYI once a day, overnight.
Note: An FYI administrator can manually synchronise Users to update the change in FYI straight away. Refer to Running a Manual Sync with Xero Practice Manager and Additional Notes on Syncing.
Adding New Users Directly to FYI
You can also add FYI users directly to FYI. This can be useful, for example, if you have support users or financial planners and that you do not want to add and pay for as users in Xero Practice Manager, but you want them to have access to information in FYI.
- From the User tab, click Add User.
A blank User Profile displays.
- Enter the new user's Name and Email.
- In the same way as for an imported user, select the Cabinet Group, and if relevant the Permission Group. If the user is an administrator select the Cabinet Group as "Admin".
- Mark the new user as Active.
- If relevant enter the Role, select the Approval Level, enter the Email Alias, select the Signature and, if relevant, select the Cabinet and any Categories for the Filing Defaults.
- Click Save.
A check is made that a user does not already exist with that Email or Email Alias.
You can update the details of a user created directly in FYI at any time, including updating the Name.
Note: It would be rare to do so, but you can add a user directly to FYI that will also be added to Xero Practice Manager. If you need to do this, you will then need to maintain any changes to that user both in Xero Practice Manager and in FYI.
Changing the Name of a User in FYI
Changing the name of a user FYI can only be done by the admin/management in Xero Practice Manager.
- Login to your XPM account.
- Click Business and go to Settings.
- Select Staff.
- Look for the email address of the user that needs to be changed.
- Change the name of the user.
- Click Save.
Once the above steps are done, this will automatically synchronise. If you need to see the change straight away an FYI administrator can do a manual sync. Refer to Running a Manual Sync with Xero Practice Manager and Additional Notes on Syncing.
Making a User Inactive
If you need to make a user inactive (for example, when an employee, or where new practices have users who are not going to be active in FYI for any reason) do the following:
Mark the user as inactive in FYI.
- Open the user in Practice Settings - Admin - Users
- Select the user
- Set Active for that user to "Off".
Note: Before making a user Inactive, refer to the FAQ Steps to Complete before Offboarding a Team Member or Making a User Inactive.
An Inactive user will not be able to login to FYI and will see the message "No account associated with your email address".
Learn Dashboard View
You can select the Learn Dashboard view from the Users list to display the columns that show the status for each user for each of the FYI Courses. This displays the columns Before you Begin, Learning the Essentials and Building your Foundation. The Status for each user for each course displays as "Not Started", "In Progress" or "Completed".
This information is not currently displayed when opening the Users profile drawer.