Templates and Signatures can be set up for emails so that standard emails containing rich text can be created for any client using infused merge fields.
When setting up the text in the Email Template or Signature, the Template Editor displays in rich text. You can apply formatting using the tools in the Editor. You can also copy and paste existing formatted text from Office programs and any formatting is reflected in the editor.
Templates and Signatures can only be set up and maintained by an FYI administrator, or a user who is in a User Group that has Administer Templates enabled (refer to Managing Users and Managing User Groups).
You can set up Email Signatures that will be automatically applied whenever a user creates an email in FYI. These hold the information that is added as default to emails created in FYI. Email Signatures are created in the same way as Templates but with the addition of checkmarking the Signature indicator to mark them as Signature. Refer below to Creating an Email Signature in FYI.
You can select the view "Signature" to display just Email Signatures in the Templates list. You could also add a Keyword such as "Signatures" so these standout in the "All" or "Active" views.
Including Merge Fields in Email Templates and Signatures
You can include Merge Fields in Email Templates and Signatures using the Merge Field selectors at the bottom of the Email Editor. For full information, including how to include Merge Fields to bring in content (such as user or client information from Xero Practice Manager and content from FYI) refer to Including Merge Fields in Email Templates and Signatures.
Creating Email Templates in FYI
There are the following steps when creating an Email Template:
Note: When you create a new template or signature by the default the Status is set to "Draft". If you have the "Active" view selected, the newly created Draft template or signature will not be shown. Before creating a new template or signature, it is recommended to change the selected view to "All" so it includes the Draft templates.
Step 1 - Create the Email Template and select the Template Filing details
- From FYI, click the Knowledge menu option.
- Go to the Templates tab.
- Click the drop-down next to the Create template button and select Email.
- Select the Filing details for the Template itself. This determines how it shows in the Knowledge Templates list. In the example, this has been set up with the Categories "Team" and "Work Type" and Keywords and Tags have been enabled for the Templates Cabinet.
Cabinet - This is always set as Templates and cannot be changed.
Categories - Select the filing Categories, Tags and Keywords as relevant for the template and for what has been set up for the "Templates" Cabinet for your practice.
Name - This identifies the template internally and is the name that displays when selecting the Template when creating an email. Make sure this clearly describes when the Template would be used.
- Click Create.
The drawer and the Email Editor display.
Step 2 - Add the Email Template Contents
Enter any text and add any images required in the Email Editor, or copy and paste this from an Office product.
Add any Merge Fields (refer to Including Merge Fields in Email Templates and Signatures).
You can format the text using the tools at the top of the Editor. The text displays in rich text to reflect any formatting. For information about formatting, which font sizes to use for Emails and using a font that is not available in FYI, refer to Formatting and Fonts in Email Templates and Signatures.
Important Note: If you are using combinations of Merge Fields and formatting, we recommend you add the Merge Fields first and check these are bringing the correct information. Then edit the Template or Signature and add any formatting.
Step 3 - Set the Email Template Status and, if required, the AutoFile Defaults
Initially the Status of the Template is set to "Draft".
- State - Select the State as "Active", "Draft" or "Archived". A template will only be available for selection in new emails if it has a state of "Active".
To set this to "Active", in the Filing section, change the Status.
- Optionally, set the AutoFile Defaults.
Email Templates can hold AutoFile Defaults for Cabinet and Categories that will be set when the email is created with that template selected, providing the user has access to the relevant Cabinet. The AutoFile Defaults for Cabinet and Categories from the selected Template will override the client or user defaults for filing.
These are optional and can be left blank in a Template. You can also select, for example, just the Cabinet so that any categories are selected as relevant for the email that is created. When the email is created, the default Cabinet and Categories from the Template can be changed if the user wants to.
- Close the Email Template drawer.
You can add Comments to a template, for example if you want to advice any users that it is available, or if you need a user to make some changes. Comments on Templates are added and used in the same as for other FYI documents. Refer to Adding Comments and Notifying Team Members.
Editing and Making Changes to the Email Template
- Select the Email Template or Signature in the Knowledge - Templates list to display the drawer.
- Expand the Filing or AutoFile Defaults section and make any changes.
Changes to the Filing or AutoFile Defaults are recorded in the Activity.
- To change the contents, click the Editor button on the side of the drawer to display the Email Editor panel.
- Make any changes as required to the contents or Merge Fields.
- Close the drawer to save the changes.
Any changes are shown in the Activity section in the drawer.
Creating an Email Signature in FYI
The Email Signatures can include your company logo and sign-off information such as the name, email and phone numbers of the author of the email.
An Email Signature is created in the same way as an Email Template, except:
- It must have Signature checkmarked. The Signature indicator can be checkmarked when the Template is created or it can be edited after.
- There are no AutoFile Defaults for Signatures. If the user selects a Template when creating an email, any AutoFile Defaults settings are taken from the Template.
In the same way as Templates, Signatures can only be set up and maintained by an FYI administrator, or by a user who is in a User Group that has Administer Templates enabled (refer to Managing User Groups). Merge Fields can be used in Signatures in the same way as those used for Templates. Refer to Including Merge Fields in Email Templates and Signatures.
- Create the Email Template.
- In the Filing section in the drawer, checkmark Signature.
The Signature indicator can be checkmarked when the Template is created or it can be edited after.
Make sure the name of the Signature clearly describes when the Signature would be used, for example, if you have a default Signature for all users and a different one for partners.
The text in the Email Signature displays in the editor in rich text. You can apply formatting using the tools in the editor. You can also copy and paste existing formatted text from Office programs and any formatting is reflected in the editor.
Note: If you are including images as .JPG there may be occasions where the image is not rendered correctly in the email in the FYI editor and when sent to Outlook. When using images in templates, check they are rendering correctly.
For details of how to incorporate HTML in the Signature refer to Creating the Email Signature using HTML and Adding Merge Fields.
For an overview of how Merge Fields are used, refer to Overview of Templates, Signatures and Merge Fields for Emails
Default Email Signature
You can set up a Default Email Signature for your practice. This is the email signature that is used for all users unless they have an alternate signature set in their user profile (refer to Managing Users). The Default Email Signature that you want to use must have the status set as "Active" and marked as Signature.
It is then added to your Practice Settings in the Default Email Signature. Refer to Practice Settings.
User Email Signatures
You can also set up additional Email Signatures that are used instead of the practice's default. When a non-default email signature has been set up, it needs to be selected in the User Profile of the relevant user(s) so it is used instead of the default. Refer to Managing Users.
To edit or make changes to an Email Signature, this is done in the same way as an Email Template (refer above to Editing and Making Changes to the Email Template).
Archiving or Deleting an Email Template or Signature
You can archive a Template by setting the Status to "Archived". ". A template will only be available for selection if it has a state of "Active".
You can delete a Template by selecting it the Templates list and clicking Delete.
- If you need to archive or delete an Email Template, first check if it has been used in any Process Automations (refer to Automation Process Steps and Process Step Details and Examples) or if it is set as your Default Email template in your Collaborate Settings (refer to Setting up the Shared Folders Email Template and Assigning Share Settings Access).
- If you need to archive or delete an Email Template or Signature, first check if it has been assigned as your Default Email Signature (refer to Practice Settings) or if it has been selected in any user's profile (refer to Managing Users).
Note: There is currently no restore facility for deleted Templates or Signature. In the interim, instead of deleting a Template or Signature that is not in use we recommend setting the Status to "Archived".