Templates can be setup for different types of document types, such as standard letters in Word, or standard images and text in Excel spreadsheets or PowerPoint presentations. This improves productivity and quality controls with standardised content that can only be maintained by administrators. Templates also ensure that standard documents are created with the text, layout etc that is approved by the partnership. Refer to Creating Documents from Templates.
Create or Locate the Word, Excel or PowerPoint Files to use in FYI Templates
FYI Templates use existing Word, Excel or PowerPoint files that contain all the images and text that will be brought into a document when it is created in FYI. It is likely you already have these prepared in your practice. Either create or locate the Word, Excel or PowerPoint files for any standard text, layout or format that you want to incorporate as Templates in FYI.
Creating Templates in FYI
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select Documents.
If you are not an FYI administrator, but have access to administer templates,
from Settings select Documents.
- Go to the Templates tab.
- Click the Add Template button.
Name - This identifies the template internally and is the name that displays when selecting the Template when creating a document. Make sure this clearly describes when the Template would be used.
State - Select the State as "Published", "Draft" or "Archived". A template will only be available for selection in new documents if it has a state of "Published".
Categories - you can optionally select the Categories that will be offered as the defaults when the template is used. When using the Template to create a document, users can make different selections for the Categories if required.
Note that a Category will only be available for selecting in a Template if it has been set up as "Available in Templates" on the Document - Category If a default Category is not set in a Template, users will select the Category when creating the document.
- Click Choose a file to select from Explorer the Word, Excel or PowerPoint file that holds the text, any images (for example, your company logo) any footer or header text, etc that will be used as the standard template. Or drag and drop the file.
- Click Save.
- When you reopen the Template from the list, you will see a link Download existing template which you can click to reopen the document that has been linked to the FYI Template.
Creating Templates with Merge Fields
You can include Merge fields from Xero Practice Manager in a Template. FYI installs some samples documents that you can use as a basis for setting up your own Templates.
- On the Template tab, select one of the samples that are installed with FYI.
- On the Drawer, click Download existing template.
- Open the downloaded file (from the bar at the bottom of your browser). An example is shown below.
- Save the edited file. This can then be uploaded as a new Template (see above).
We enclose correspondence received from the Australian Taxation Office requesting the immediate payment of the amount of $********** outstanding in your *********** ATO account.
If you have added Roles to your users (for example Director, Partner, Accountant) this can be included in the sign off in documents by including the Merge Code "AuthorRole" in templates. Refer to Users.
To add the date, you can include the Office product field Date in the template. For example, in Word this insert from the Word Insert menu. In the Text options select Quick Parts > Fields, select the field Date and select the format required.
Refer also to Creating Email Templates.