I have set up an email Template or Signature with Merge Fields to bring in client or user information, but it is not bringing in the information, or it is bringing in the incorrect information.
The Merge Field may not have been added correctly, or an incorrect field has been added to the Template or Signature.
Merge Fields can be edited in the same way as text in the Template Editor so you may have accidentally changed something in the Merge Field.
If the email has been created as "Draft in FYI", some of the user information will show as the Merge Field. This is because emails that are "Draft in FYI" only add the information when the email is sent or transferred to Outlook. The reason for this is that certain Merge Fields are only applied when the final sender of the email has been determined and these do not display when editing the draft email in FYI.
Check the following:
- Check that the Merge Field has two curly brackets for the opening and closing brackets.
- Make sure there is a space after the opening curly brackets and before the closing curly brackets.
- Make sure the brackets are on the same line (so there are no line breaks in the Merge Fields).
- Add the Merge Field again from the Template Editor in case the name of the Merge Field has been accidentally changed.
- Check that you are including the correct field. The help articles for Word Templates include an attached document FYI Merge Fields.docx which you can download and this gives additional information about the Merge Fields. Refer to Including Merge Fields in Word Templates and Stationery.
- If you have applied any formatting to the text, this may have been added incorrectly. Try adding the Merge Field without any formatting and check the result, then apply any formatting once you know the Merge Field is working correctly.
You can also check the HTML code of an email Template or Signature. Refer to Creating the Email Signature using HTML and Adding Merge Fields.
- If you are not seeing the correct value for the Merge Field ‘Contact Name', note that this uses the name of the the primary contact.
- If you are seeing the Merge Fields for the user information, send the email or transfer it to "Draft in Outlook" to check the information that flows through.