Setting up FYI is simple. There’s nothing to install locally and no credit card required. All you need is an Office 365 Business Premium account and an API key generated from Xero Practice Manager. FYI will synchronise with Xero Practice Manager in an instant so you’ll be up and running with your client and team data in minutes.
Watch this 2-minute video to see how easy it is to get underway.
Or click here to download the Onboarding Guide.
Or simply follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1 - Generating an API Key for FYI from Xero Practice Manager.
Integration with your practice XPM is required as part of setting up your FYI trial account. You must be a Xero Practice Manager Administrator to complete this step.
Here’s how to generate an API key for FYI:
- Login to Xero Practice Manager as an administrator.
- Click Business > Settings > Add-ons (see image below).
- Scroll down to FYI in the list and click Generate Key.
- Copy the key to use in setting up your FYI account.
Step 2 - Setting up your trial account in FYI
Your practice must have an Office 365 Business Premium account to complete this step. Simply enter some basic information into the FYI app and connect your Windows account.
a. Go to https://www.fyidocs.com/ and click on the 30-DAY FREE TRIAL button.
b. Enter the following information into the FYI app at https://app.fyidocs.com/welcome
- Your API Key from Xero Practice Manager
- Your preferred email address for FYI billing
- Your practice name
- Your country
- Confirm that you have an Office 365 Business Premium account
- Then click Start Free Trial
c. Use your Office 365 credentials to authenticate.
For security and convenience, your Windows username and password are used to login to FYI.
Click Login with Windows and select an account. If this is the same email address you use to access Xero Practice Manager, you will be authenticated immediately. If not, you will be given the opportunity to link the separate emails.
Enter your Office 365 username and password and you will arrive at the FYI Onboarding screen.
Your Default Settings
FYI comes shipped with best-practice settings to get you started, including the following:
- Default filing Cabinets for Partner Files, Practice Admin and Training
- Default filing Categories for Work Type and Year
- Sample Templates and Stationery
These settings can be configured at any time to suit your practice. We recommend making changes to these directly from FYI after you have completed your account set up.
Refer to Default Configurations
The following process automations are instantly activated for you in FYI;
- Xero Practice Manager – your clients, client groups, jobs and team data are instantly imported from Xero Practice Manager and will be continuously synchronised.
- Email AutoFile – any client emails sent and received in the last 24 hours are instantly imported from Outlook and auto-filed in FYI.
- Calendar Entry AutoFile - any calendar entries made in the last 24 hours are instantly imported from Outlook and auto-filed in FYI.
- Tax Return Auto-File - any tax returns created in Xero Tax will be imported into FYI on a daily basis.
Refer to Getting Started with Automations
FYI imports your employees from Xero Practice Manager and automatically makes you the FYI Administrator. If you wish to appoint additional FYI Administrators and invite members of your team to start using FYI during your 30-day free trial, you can do so now or later.
Refer to Inviting New Users
Step 3 - Adding the FYI Apps
FYI is deeply integrated with Office 365 to deliver automation such as email auto-filing. Office 365 Business Premium is the minimum plan required. The FYI Apps enable auto-filing of your emails from Outlook and make the key features of FYI available in every Office 365 product that you have installed.
There are two options for adding FYI Apps:
a. They can be added to your Practice Office 365 Account, for both Outlook and Office. You must be an Office 365 Administrator for your practice to complete this function on behalf of other users.
b. You can skip this step and immediately Start using FYI. In this instance, the FYI Apps must be added by individual users from within Office and Outlook. This can be used, for example, if you or a small group of users want to initially trial FYI.
You are now up and running with FYI
When you click Start Using FYI, this opens the FYI Dashboard, and you are underway!
The Getting Started Guides are a great resource when you are familiarising yourself with FYI’s key features.
Welcome to FYI is a handy introduction to the platform, how to get help when you need it and where to begin
Key Concepts for New Usersexplains how to login and how to navigate FYI for the first time
- Mastering the Essentials is an introduction to five cool features to explore during your trial
Refer to Getting Started Guides for the full list of PDFs that you can download and share with your team.