The following describes how steps are set up for processes.
Application and Action
Each step is set up for the Application that it accesses (for example, to access Xero Ledger or within FYI itself).
Steps are set to run an Action which is one of the pre-set actions (or function) for the relevant Application. For example,
- When FYI is selected as the application, the action can be set to:
- Alter Document (to change some filing details or create a comment with notification).
- Create Email, Create Word, Create Presentation, Create Spreadsheet to create an Office email, Word, PowerPoint or Excel document in FYI.
- Create Task to create an FYI Task.
- Create Meeting to create an FYI Meeting.
- Execute Process to execute any other process that has been set up in FYI Automation.
- When Ledger is selected as the application, the action can be selected to import a report (Balance Sheet, Bank Summary, Budget Summary, Profit & Loss, Trial Balance) to import the relevant report from Xero Ledger.
For the function that is selected, the details of what each step does within FYI is then controlled by the settings in the Drawer. These control any actions, such as how the document is filed, and settings for the workflow and whether a task is created as part of the step.
The settings available will depend on what type of function the step is doing. These following the same options that are available when creating the same type of document directly in FYI.
- Action. (for example, selection of a template, how to handle attachments).
- Filing (for example, the name of a document).
- Workflow (for example, the owner of the document and a workflow status such as "Approved", "Pending Client Signature" or "Client Signed").
- Task (determines if a Task is created as part of the step).
- Comment (determines if a Comment is added to a document which can also send a notification).
Action in Steps
The following is an example of Create Email function in FYI.
Template - this selects the Email Template that will be used. The template can include merge fields to create the email text
Attachments - if there is an attachment, this selects the step within the process that generated the document.
Send via - determines how the attachment is sent, by email or sent to the client's OneDrive.
Send Immediate - whether to send the email immediately. If set to "No", the email is saved as "Draft".
Filing in Steps
These settings control how the document is named and where it is filed. The following is an example of importing a file.
Name is the name of the file that will be created in FYI. In the example, this is for the Tax Assessment. This can contain any text as required and it can also use relative merge fields. In this example, the from and to tax periods are included in the document name (NOA Agree «TaxPeriodFrom» - «TaxPeriodTo»).
To include Merge fields:
- Click the ellipsis (…) next to the Name to display the pop-up with the relevant merge fields that can be used. Click the down arrow next to a category to expand it and display the merge fields in that group.
- Position the cursor in the Name where you want to include the merge code.
- Click one of the merge fields that is listed on the right-hand side (for example, you could add Client Code, or NOA Amount). The correct code for the merge field is added for you in the Name.
When AutoFile is disabled, the document will be filed using the settings in the process step. When AutoFile is enabled, the default settings for the client are used if available.
Cabinet and Categories are set as relevant for the type of document being processed.
For Year, this can include merge fields by selecting "Merge Field" from the drop down which then displays the merge field pop-up selections in the same way as for the Name. If this is set, for example, with "TaxYear" as the merge field, the document will be automatically filed in the relevant tax year as the Year category.
Filing defaults to "Filed". If this is set as "Unfiled" it will appear in the owner's In Tray ready for filing. Owner can be set in the Workflow section.
Workflow in Steps
Owner can be used to select the owner of the document. This can be set as "Manager" to set the owner as the relative client's manager, or as "Partner" to set the owner as the relative client's partner (as held in Xero Practice Manager). Or it can be set to a specific person in your user list.
Workflow Status can be set for information purposes.
Task in Steps
Task is used to create a task for the document/email when the process runs. In the following example, the task is created for an email.
Create a Task - click to set this as "Yes" to create a task.
Subject - enter a brief subject for the task. This displays in the lists in FYI.
Assignee - can be set as a specific person in your user list. Or this can be set as "Manager" to assign the task to the relative client's manager, or as "Partner" to assign it to the relative client's partner (as held in Xero Practice Manager).
Due Date - select when the task needs to be completed as the number of days. You can also set this as 0 (zero) days to make the task immediate.
Status - this defaults to "Not started". The Status can be changed to "In Progress", so when the task is created, nothing needs to be actioned on it.
Details - type the brief details of the task. The assignee can easily display the email to see what the task relates to.
Comment in Steps
Refer to Automation Notifications.