Steps are set up to run a Function for the relevant Application. For the function that is selected, the details of what each step does within FYI is then controlled by the settings in the Drawer for the step. These control any actions, for example, how the document is filed, settings for the workflow and whether a task or comments are created as part of the step.
The settings available will depend on what type of function the step is doing and as relevant, these follow the same options that are available when creating that type of document directly in FYI. For example:
- Action (for example, selection of a template, how to handle attachments).
- Filing (for example, the name of a document).
- Workflow (for example, the Owner of the document, an Approver and a workflow status such as "Approved", "Pending Client Signature" or "Client Signed").
- Task (determines if a Task is created as part of the step).
- Comment (determines if a Comment is added to a document which can also send a notification).
For details and examples of how to set up the steps, refer to Process Step Details and Examples.
Adding a Step
- To add a step, click the Add Step button.
Each step is set up for the Application that it accesses.
Choose the Application (FYI Actions or Ledger)
When FYI Actions is selected as the application, the function can be selected as one of the following:
For relevant process, (to change some filing details, for example, Workflow, or create a comment with notification). This is useful when creating Custom Processes using a view. Refer to Custom Processes using Views and Summary Notifications.
Create Email, Create Word, Create Presentation, Create Spreadsheet
To create an Office email, Word, PowerPoint or Excel document in FYI (refer to Create Email and Create Word, Spreadsheet and Presentation in Process Step Details and Examples)
To create a PDF document using a PDF template.
This can be used with a Client View process to create a Job in Xero Practice Manager (refer to Create Job in Process Step Details and Examples).
This creates an FYI Task (refer to Task Steps in Process Step Details and Examples).
This creates an FYI Meeting.
Delay can be used to set a delay in the process (refer to Delay in Process Step Details and Examples). This can be set to a number of hours, days or weeks so that the next step in the process is not run until that delay is over.
This will execute any other process that has been set up in FYI Automation.
This sends out a summary of more than one notification. This step is only available for a custom process and when a view has been selected as a filter. Refer to Custom Processes using Views and Summary Notifications.
Update Client can be used to update Custom Fields that are dates (refer to Update Client in Process Step Details and Examples). This will sync the change to Xero Practice Manager. Refer to Custom Fields in Client Details.
This updates the Job State, Partner of Manger on jobs (refer to Update Job in Process Step Details and Examples). This will sync the change to Xero Practice Manager. This step is only available for a custom process and when a Job view has been selected as a filter, or if a Document view is selected and in this case, a Job will only be updated only if the document is assigned to a job. Refer to Job States.
When Ledger is selected as the application, the function can be selected to Import a report (Balance Sheet, Bank Summary, Budget Summary, Profit & Loss, Trial Balance) to import the relevant report from Xero Ledger.
Editing, Copying, Deleting and Moving Steps
- To edit a step, click anywhere on the step or click the Edit tool next to the relevant step.
- To copy a step, click the Clone tool next to the relevant step. Clone will copy that step below the selected one.
- To delete a step, click Delete tool next to the relevant step. Clone will copy that step below the selected one.To change the sequence of steps, drag and drop it up or down in the sequence to the new location.
- You can use the 'move' icon next to the step number to move it. If you click on any other columns, it opens the respective step. Steps are automatically renumbered. You cannot change the sequence of a step to above one that it depends on, that is, where the result of one step is used in a step below it.
Resetting a Process
In a Sample Process, clicking Reset will reset the process steps back to the configuration as initially installed by FYI.