New emails are intelligently auto-filed based on a combination of the conversation thread, template defaults, client default or user defaults.
The settings in the Email AutoFile process control how the automatic filing of email from Outlook is managed. The Exclusions also allows your practice to block emails that are sent from specific email addresses or domains from being filed automatically.
These settings can only be managed by an FYI Administrator.
Editing the Email AutoFile
- From FYI, click the Automation menu option.
- Go to the Processes tab.
- In Email AutoFile, click the cog icon to edit this process.
There are two tabs, Settings and Exclusions.
Email AutoFile - Settings
To change any settings, click the relevant switch to "On" or "Off".
Emails from all users Outlook inboxes are automatically filed into FYI.
If this is switched to "Off", no emails will be auto-filed and no other options are available for selection in the Email AutoFile settings.
Exclude internal emails
Excludes any emails from auto-filing that have been sent from your internal team. This uses the email addresses that are recorded in FYI Users.
Maintain thread filing state
When Maintain thread filing state is set "On", once one email in a thread is filed, all other emails in that thread (those that are received/sent before or after the current email) will be filed with the same filing details. If one of the emails in the thread is removed, they are all removed.
Note that when Maintain thread filing state is set "On", when an email from an existing thread is filed automatically, it will not appear in the In Tray of any recipient.
It is recommended to set this to "On". Making a change to this setting will apply it from the time it is turned on/off and it does not back date changes.
The following settings are only available if Email Auto-Filing is set "On".
Exclude non-client email
Excludes any emails from auto-filing that have not been sent from FYI clients. This uses the email addresses that are recorded in the Client contact details.
In tray review
When In tray review is set "On", this allows each user to review auto-filed emails before they are shared with the entire practice. This review can be completed via Outlook or via FYI.
Note: User can override this if needed using the AutoFile mode in their Settings > Profile (refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your Own Login). This could be used, for example, if emails are auto-filed (without going to the users' In Tray for review) but partners wish to always review their emails from their In Tray before making them available practice wide.
Save Attachments Separately
Save Attachments Separately setting is only applicable to incoming emails. Refer also to Filing Email Attachments and Filing Email Attachments - Non Default Configurations.
- When Save Attachments Separately is set "Off" this applies to all users.
- When Save Attachments Separately is set "On", users can change this in their own user settings by setting AutoFile Email Attachments to "Off" to override the practice setting (refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your Own Login).
When Save Attachments Separately is set to "On", attachments in incoming emails are saved as separate documents. Attachments are saved using the same configuration as the email (such as the Cabinet and Categories) that is being applied to the email. Only genuine attachments are filed, and any attachments such as a jpg for a logo or signature are ignored.
When Save Attachments Separately is set to "Off", attachments in incoming emails need to be manually saved, from Outlook or from FYI. If attachments are not filed separately inside FYI, they still exist inside the email and can be accessed from the Attachments sections in the drawer of the filed email.
- When you have Save Attachments Separately set to "On" and In Tray review set to "On", both the incoming email and the attachments show in the In Tray and can be filed separately. When the email is filed, the individual attachments can also be accessed from the Attachments section in the drawer of the filed email.
- When Save Attachments Separately is set "On" and In Tray review set to "Off", both the incoming email and the attachments are auto-filed with the attachments as separate documents. The attachments can be accessed from the Attachments section in the drawer of the filed email.
- When Save Attachments Separately is turned "Off", attachments in incoming emails do not get auto-filed. Users have to manually file attachments from the filed email in FYI or in Outlook.
In tray review multiple clients
This option is only relevant if you have In Tray Review switched "On".
When In tray review multiple clients is switched "On", if an email is received where the email address is shared by more than one client, and none have been nominate as Include in AutoFile, the email is marked as Multi Client. In the In Tray, when filing the email, a list of the clients who hold that email address displays in the drawer so you can select which client to file it under.
Refer to Managing your In Tray.
Refer also to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client and Nominating the Primary Client to Include in AutoFile.
Include Client's Contacts
When Include Client's Contacts is set "On", AutoFile searches the Client's Contacts to find a match for the Client Name. If an email is sent or received from the email address of one of the Contacts that is held for a client in Xero Practice Manager, this will match on the client when an email is autofiled. This allows emails to be filed to the client when they are send or received to/from internal team members, bookkeepers, advisers, etc.
Email AutoFile - Exclusions
On the Exclusion tab, click Add Exclusion and enter the email address or domain for any specific emails or domains you need to exclude from the auto-filing.
Click the Remove link to remove an exclusion.
Below is a list of example exclusions that practices want to add in their settings: