When you edit a document (such as a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, PowerPoint presentation, PDF, image) FYI will first check that no other user has an exclusive lock on that document. FYI then takes the document and marks that it is being edited by yourself. It then takes a copy of the document into your FYI - My Edits OneDrive folder. The FYI - My Edits folder is automatically added for you by FYI.
Once you have finished editing the document, select the I am finished editing button, and close the document. Any changes you made will automatically be saved back to FYI and overwrite the original.
Opening a File for Editing
- For the core Microsoft applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), FYI seamlessly opens up the document. This will either be online or on your desktop, depending on what you have chosen as the way you want to edit the document (Edit in Desktop or Edit in Browser).
Note: You can set the default for how you want to open documents in your profile. Refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your Own Login.
- For documents other than for the core Microsoft applications, such as PDFs, images such as jpgs or bitmaps, a message displays for you to open the file on your OneDrive.
- For the documents that are created and held within FYI (Tasks, Meeting, Phone, File Note, Weblink), all the information can be viewed and edited from the Drawer and there is no additional information to open.
While you have a document open for editing, no other user can edit it. The document is included in your My Edits list.
The document shows in lists in FYI with Document being edited icon.
Hover the mouse over the icon to display the name of the person who is editing it.
If you try to edit a document that another person has open for editing, a message displays which also includes the name of that person.
When a document is being edited, the Lock icon also displays next to the document name in a list.
Opening a Word, Excel or PowerPoint Document
- In any list in FYI, click on a document to highlight and select it.
- Click Edit.
This opens the document either via the browser or via desktop, using the method you have selected in your Profile settings (Online or Desktop). Refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your Own Login.
You can also use the drop-down next to the Edit button and select whichever is the alternative to your default method.
If your default method is Desktop, this will show Edit in Browser.
If your default method is Online, this will show Edit in Desktop.
The document is opened in either the online or desktop application for Word, Excel or PowerPoint as relevant for the type of document and how you selected to edit it.
The document is added to your My Edits list.
It is marked as being edited by you and no other user can edit it.
- The FYI document Reference number is added to the document name displayed at the top of the screen. Refer to Unique Document Reference Number.
Edit via Browser
If you selected Edit via Browser, the document opens in the online application as relevant for the type of document so you can edit and Save.
Edit via Desktop
If you selected Edit via Desktop, the Open Word/Excel/PowerPoint displays.
Using the Edit Icon
Click the Edit icon that displays next to the document Name. This opens the document using the default method you have selected in your Profile settings (refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your Own Login).
Make and save any changes to the Word, Excel or PowerPoint file as required.
Opening Files such as a PDF or Image
For documents other than the core Microsoft applications, such as PDFs, image files such as jpgs or bitmaps, this creates a copy of the file in your OneDrive, which you can open for editing in a relevant application.
- Select the document in the list.
- Click Edit. In the Opening Document for Edit, click Preview.
Or you can click the Edit icon that displays next to the document Name.
- The file is added to your OneDrive and is opened in the relevant application.
or, where relevant, a link to the downloaded file is shown in the bar at the bottom of your browser screen. Click the download link to open the document.
- The document is added to your My Edits
It is marked as being edited by you and no other user can edit it.
When the document has been opened, make any changes and save it as required.
Using My Edits
All documents that you have opened for editing are included in your My Edits list.
You can reopen a document from My Edits by selecting the document and clicking Edit that displays next to the document Name. Or preview the document from the Drawer.
You can also mark that you have finished editing a document directly from the My Edits list by selecting the document and clicking Finish Editing
When you have finished editing a document, you need to close the document and indicate that you have finished editing by clicking I am finished editing in the drawer. This releases the document so other users can edit it if needed.
There are various places where you can do this.
- For Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), you can do this from the FYI Drawer within the Office product application itself.
Note: After clicking I am finished editing, you need to close the document in the Office product to finish the syncing with FYI.
- For other documents, such as PDF, you need to indicate that you have finished editing a document from within FYI (from My Edits or using the Drawer).
- From My Edits in FYI, select the document and click Finish Editing.
- From any list in FYI, select the document and click I am finished editing in the Drawer. The Drawer then closes automatically.
The document will automatically sync with FYI.
If you still have the document open, you will see the message "Document is open and can not be synced". FYI will keep trying until it can complete the sync, which means you should never lose any data from your changes.
Close the relevant document and the sync will refresh automatically.
When you have marked that you have Finished Editing the document:
- It will no longer display with the Document being edited
- The document is no longer included in your My Edits
- It can be edited by another user.
- The copy of the document is automatically removed from your OneDrive so there is no further action you need to take.
Note: When a document has a status of "Approved" no changes can be made to the document or to the filing details or information in the Drawer.
On a list, you can also click the Document being edited icon displayed on the right-hand side next to the document.
This displays the Stop Editing popup where you can click Stop Editing.
If needed, an FYI administrator can check back in a document that is locked for editing so that another user can open and edit it. This can be used, for example, if the user who has a document locked for editing is out of the office. Refer to Administrator Check in of Locked Documents.
Refer also to Opening and Editing Emails.