Jobs are used in Xero Practice Manager to record time and costs on a project. FYI emails, documents and tasks can be filed against the relevant Xero Practice Manager job name. This allows documents to be filed dynamically depending on the sophistication of your client and range of jobs.
Jobs are dynamically retrieved from Xero Practice Manager. They are automatically synchronised with Xero Practice Manager overnight. Additionally, if a change is made to the State of a Job within FYI, this is automatically updated to the job in Xero Practice Manager as part the synchronisation. Synchronisation is done automatically overnight. A manual synchronisation can also be done by any user from the Jobs List by clicking the Sync button and will only sync the jobs.
How you use the Cabinets and jobs is the choice of your own practice.
When enabled in FYI, jobs offer an alternate way to file information and provide another option for how you access information.
You still have the ability to look at information by other categories (such as work type and year), but you have the additional ability to see information by job. As well as filing documents by standard jobs (such as Compliance for a year) this also give you the flexibility to file information against any special jobs.
There are different ways in which you can set up how jobs are used. For example,
- You could set up a specific Cabinet with Jobs as the primary filing category, so all filing in that Cabinet is job based. This ensures that all documents filed in that Cabinet have a job recorded against them.
- Then you could have a separate Cabinet that is used for filing any documents which do not have a job associated with them, such as internal or administration documents.
Summary of How Jobs are Set up and Used
The following is a summary of how jobs are set up and how they are used.
- To enable Jobs in FYI, an Administrator sets any relevant Cabinets with Enable Job set "On".
- If required, set a default Job for clients in the Filing Defaults.
- You can set your Practice Settings so that documents can be filed either for a Job for the specific client, or for a job that exists for any of the clients within the Client Group. Refer to Show jobs by client in Practice Settings.
- When a document, email or task is filed, the Job can be selected manually, in the same way as other Categories.
- When documents or emails are auto-filed, if a default job is held for the client, this will be applied by the auto-filing.
- The selected Job then displays in lists and as an additional category within the filing details for documents, emails and tasks.
- When you click the Jobs menu option, this displays the Jobs List with a list of the all jobs, across the entire practice.
- You can also display the jobs for a specific client, and for a Client Group, from the Clients - Jobs tab.
- From the Jobs List, or from the Clients - Jobs tab, you can display the Jobs as a Board. Refer to Using the Jobs Board.
- The Jobs column on the Documents or Tasks lists displays the job that emails/documents or tasks that have been filed under.
- Jobs, and the Tasks that have been set for a Job, are used when entering Time information. Time entries are synchronised to Xero Practice Manager. Refer to Adding Time.
Closed Jobs and Syncing with FYI
At the time of your FYI trial creation:
- FYI will bring in only your active Xero Practice Manager jobs.
- Any historical jobs will not be imported into FYI when you create your trial.
If you need to bring any closed jobs into FYI -
1) First change the job to an activate state in Xero Practice Manager.
2) Waiting for at least 24 hours for the job to sync to FYI.
3) Change the job to a closed state in FYI. The state will be updated in Xero Practice Manager.
Following your trial creation:
- Any job that is closed in Xero Practice Manager, will be picked up by FYI and marked as closed in FYI.