You can easily display a Preview of a document. This can be used for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and also for a PDF or an image such as a .jpg or bitmap. This gives a quick snapshot of the contents of a document in FYI. It is useful as it opens the document for read only without locking the document from other users for edit access.
There are two ways to do a Preview.
- Click the Full Screen icon next to the document in a list.
- Using the Preview tab in the Drawer.
You can also use the Read function to open one or more documents as read-only in separate tabs in your browser. Refer to Viewing Documents as Read Only.
Preview Office Via OneDrive
In the Settings for each user is an option Preview Office Via OneDrive. This determines how the Preview function displays Office documents. This can be set "On" or "Off" (refer to Individual Settings).
- When Preview Office via OneDrive is set as "On", the document displays in the Preview and retains the same formatting as when opening the document from the Office product on the desktop.
- When Preview Office Via OneDrive is set as "Off", this is quicker to display, but you may find that the formatting of the content of the document may not be accurate, especially for more complex documents.
- In any list in FYI, hover over a document.
- Click the Full Screen icon.
- The document displays as a full screen preview. The following example shows the full screen preview when this is set to preview via OneDrive.
You can use the tools at the top of the Preview which are the same as the buttons that display in the tool bar on the list for the relevant type of document (see below).
- To close the Full Screen preview, click the X in the top right-hand corner or click the Exit Full Screen tool.
Preview tab in the Drawer
- In any list in FYI, click on a document to highlight and select it.
- In the Drawer, click the Preview tab.
A preview of the document displays next to the Drawer. The following example is when you are previewing via OneDrive.
The following example shows the preview when Preview via OneDrive is "Off".
- To close the preview, click the Hide tab, or the X in the top of the preview.
Other documents such as a Meeting, Phone Call, File Note or a Task, have all their details recorded in the Drawer so preview is not relevant for these types of documents.
You can also use the tools at the top of the Preview. These are the same as the buttons that display in the tool bar on the list for the relevant type of document and can be used to do the following:
Edit, Copy the document, Read, Delete, Copy a link to the document, Send by email, Download the document locally or Full Screen.
Refer also to Opening and Editing a Document