Templates can be setup for different types of document types, such as standard letters in Word, or standard images and text in Excel spreadsheets, or PowerPoint presentations. Templates can also be created for PDFs. Refer to Creating Templates for Word, Excel or PowerPoint and Creating Templates for PDF.
For a Word document, you can also select Stationery. Refer also to Overview of Stationery, Templates and Merge Fields.
Documents can be created from the Templates in the following ways:
- Create a new document with the + New button
When selecting and entering the filing fields, select the required Template.
The list of available templates will only show those that are relevant for the type of new document you are creating.
If relevant, select a Stationery.
- From the Knowledge workspace, select the required Template, click Create and select the Client.
This automatically selects the relevant type of document to create (according to the type of Template selected) adds the selected Template in the filing details.
For Word documents, it is recommended to set up Stationery for the information that is common for documents such as letters.
Creating a Document from a Template with the + New
- From FYI, click + New
Select Word, Spreadsheet or Presentation from the list of document types.
Or, from the workspace, simply press the shortcut key W, S or P.
In the Drawer, select the Client. Any defaults for filing categories (for the client or your defaults) are initially displayed.
For a Word document, you can optionally select a Stationery.
- In Template, select the template you want to use.
- The Categories are changed as relevant to set the filing details to how these are set in the template.
- Click Create.
- The document opens in the Microsoft product.
The name of the document, and the name of the document that is will be shown in FYI, are set as the name of the template. For any merge fields in the template, the values are automatically filled in as relevant for the selected client, etc.
Make any changes as needed and Save the document.
Creating a Document with a Template from the Knowledge Workspace in FYI
- From FYI, click the Knowledge menu option.
- From the Templates tab, select the required template for the type of document that you want to create. The Type column displays the icon as relevant for the type of template (Word, Excel or PowerPoint).
- Click Create in the tool bar.
- The Drawer opens to create the relevant type of document. In the Drawer, select the Client. This automatically adds the selected Template in the filing details.
- Complete the document in the same way as above.