Client emails often contain attachments that are essential documents in their own right. FYI allows you to file the attachments so they are saved as separate documents.
There are both practice-wide and individual settings which dictate how you see and interact with email attachments in FYI.
- Your FYI administrator can set up how you want to use auto-filing for email attachments within your practice. Refer to Email AutoFile Settings and Exclusions.
- You can also set your own preferences. Refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your Own Login.
When the attachments have been saved separately and filed into FYI, they can be displayed and accessed directly from the email in the Attachments section.
There are two options in the Settings and that affect how you file attachments.
- Save Attachments Separately
When Save Attachments Separately is set "On", email attachments follow the default filing of the email. That is, if the email is auto-filed, the attachment is also auto-filed or if the email is 'draft filed', so is the attachment.
When Save Attachments Separately is set "Off", by default, email attachments remain unfiled and you can manually save them to FYI on an ad-hoc basis if required.
Note: If attachments are not saved separately inside FYI, they still exist inside the original email and you can access them from FYI using the Export function.
- In Tray Review
When In Tray Review is turned "On", email attachments are added to your In Tray and 'draft filed' for review before they are made accessible to the entire practice.
When In Tray Review is turned "Off", email attachments will not appear in your In Tray. They are dealt with entirely from within Outlook.
This article explains how attachment filing works given 3 different configurations:
- Configuration 1: In Tray Review is “On” and Save Attachments Separately is “On”
- Configuration 2: In Tray Review is “Off” and Save Attachments Separately is “On”
- Configuration 3: Save Attachments Separately is “Off”
The recommended configuration, which is the default, is with both In Tray Review and Save Attachment Separately set "On" (Configuration 1).
Configuration 1: In Tray Review is "On" and Save Attachments Separately is "On"
When In Tray Review is set “On” and Save Attachments Separately is set "On", attachments follow the 'draft filing' of the email they relate to.
Both the email and the attachments are included in your In Tray (except for occasions when the email is specifically excluded from your In Tray).
The following is an example of an email with two attachments in the In Tray.
Both the email and the attachment have a status of "Draft Filed".
The following is the drawer for the email in your FYI In Tray. It also displays in the same way in the FYI drawer when the email is selected in the Sent folder of your Outlook. This shows "Attachments saved separately".
The following example is of the drawer for one of the attachments in your FYI In Tray. This shows the name of the email where the attachment was filed from.
Filing the Email
You can file the email from your In Tray or from Outlook. When you file the email, it is removed from your In Tray.
Filing the email will not automatically file the attachments. Under these settings, the attachments are draft filed in accordance with the email, but they require individual confirmation before being filed into FYI.
If you file an email but have not yet filed the attachments, a reminder displays in the Attachments section of the drawer for the email ("1 to be filed", "2 to be filed", etc).
Filing the Attachment(s)
Once the email is filed, you then need to file the attachments.
You can file the attachments either from your In Tray, or from the FYI drawer (in Outlook or FYI). The attachment will have, as default, the same filing defaults as the email. If required, the attachments can be filed with different filing details to the email.
Note: If you do not want the attachments to be filed in FYI, you can delete these as relevant from the In Tray.
From your In Tray
- Select the attachment.
- Change any filing details if required
- Click File in the drawer.
The attachment is now filed inside FYI and removed from your In Tray.
From the FYI Drawer (in Outlook or FYI)
If you have not already filed the attachments in your In Tray, and once the email has been filed (either from your In Tray or from Outlook) you can file the attachments. This can be done from inside FYI, or from your inbox/sent folder in Outlook.
- Select the email (in Outlook or FYI).
- Expand the Attachments section in the FYI drawer.
- Click to select an attachment.
The FYI drawer displays the filing details for the attachment.
- Change any filing details, if required.
- Click File.
The attachment is filed and removed from your In Tray.
If there is more than one attachment, file each in turn.
Configuration 2: In Tray Review is "Off" and Save Attachments Separately is "On"
If you have In Tray Review turned "Off" and Save Attachments Separately set "On", there are two possible scenarios:
- Both the email and attachments are auto-filed (the attachments automatically have their filing details set as the same as the email).
- Both the email and attachments are unfiled (the email and attachments need to be filed manually - refer below to the instructions in Configuration 3 for manual filing).
Email and Attachments are Auto-Filed
If auto-filed, the attachments can be displayed and accessed directly from the email in the Attachments section of the drawer.
Or, selecting the attachment in a list to display the drawer, this shows the email the attachment was filed from.
Configuration 3: Save Attachments Separately is "Off"
When Save Attachments Separately is set "Off", the only way to save email attachments is manually from Outlook.
For an email you are sending, you can file the attachments while you are filing an email from Outlook, or after you have sent it. You cannot file attachments manually, without first filing the email.
- Open the email open in Outlook (in your Inbox or Sent folder).
- In the FYI Drawer, click Save Attachments.
Save Attachments displays in the FYI drawer.
A list of the attachments displays in the FYI Drawer with all the files initially set as included to be saved.
- You can change any of the filing details if required.
If there is more than one attachment, for any that you do not want to save, click the Include switch to deselect it.
If needed, you can change the name of the attached file.
- Click on the Edit icon (with the pencil) next to the attachment name
- Edit the attachment name.
- Click the Save icon (with the disk).
This displays a list with a check mark next to the files that have been filed.
When email attachments have been manually filed, the drawer of the email displays display “Attachments have been Manual Filed”.
Accessing Unfiled Attachments
If an email in FYI is showing "Email has unfiled attachments", you can access the attachments using the Export function.
Note: Export can be used to extract attachments on all emails. Even if the attachment was saved separately.
The export gives you access to attachments if you have chosen not to save them to FYI, or if an email has been migrated from another system. You can also use Export to check whether or not you want to file an attachments. Refer also to Exporting Documents.
- Select the email in a list.
- Click the Export button in the tool bar. Or right-click and select Export from the tool bar pop-up menu (refer to Tool Bar and Right-Click Functions).
- Click the link to the exported email that is shown in the bar at the bottom of browser screen.
The email opens in Outlook from where you can open the attachments.