You can use Zapier to automate dataflow between FYI and other platforms, for example, to connect to Practice Ignition, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc., and to automatically import and file documents in FYI.
It is recommended that you send documents to FYI to a specific user within your practice. This ensures that someone within your practice (usually the person in charge of this process) is always monitoring documents that have been sent to FYI via Zapier. If the document can be auto-filed, this sends the document to that user's Home - My Recent tab. If it cannot be auto-filed, it will go to that user's In Tray, ready for filing.
Practice Ignition makes available the client email (Contact Email) which can be mapped in the Zap so that documents can auto-filed directly to FYI using this client email address.
You can alternatively use other attributes from what is being sent to populate the details in FYI such as a specific Client Name. This allows the document to be filed automatically for a specific client, but would need you to set up a specific zap for each client. FYI will be soon including Client Code as a field so that, when Client Code is available for documents being imported from Zapier they can be auto-filed against the relevant client.
To use this function:
- You need to be a registered and subscribed user of Zapier.
- To connect FYI to your Zapier account, an FYI Administrator will need to first get the FYI Access Key that is used in the connection with Zapier.
- Zaps need to be set up the Zapier for the relevant applications you want to connect to FYI.
Setup Zapier app in FYI
First get the FYI Access Keys that will be used in your Zapier account to connect to FYI.
Note: This is a one-off step and can only be done by an FYI administrator.
- From FYI, click the Automation menu option.
- Go to the Apps tab.
- For Zapier, click the cog icon to edit it.
- In the Zapier Integration panel, click Reveal Secret Key.
- This displays the Zapier Integration keys for FYI; the Access Key ID and the Access Key Secret. These keys will be used in Zapier to connect to FYI. You can click the clipboard icon to copy each of these and paste them, for example to a Word document, to use later in Zapier.
- Optionally, you can select the Cabinet and Categories that will be used as the AutoFile Defaults if these have not been set up for the client. If you set up the AutoFile Defaults, the document will not first go to a user's In Tray.
Connect Zapier to FYI
- As the FYI integration app is still in beta with Zapier, you need to connect using this link which gives you the beta invite.
- You will be prompted to log in to your Zapier account.
- When you have logged in, this displays a message that you have been invited to use FYI on Zapier.
- Click Accept Invite & Build a Zap.
To set up a Zap
Note: The following instructions relate to Zapier functionality but shows how Zapier is set up specifically for FYI. If you need additional help please check the Zapier help.
You need to set up any of the Zaps you want to use within your own Zapier account.
The Zap requires two steps:
Step 1 - Trigger Event
The Trigger Event determines where the document is coming from and what triggers the action (in this example, a new proposal document in Practice Ignition).
Step 2 - Action Event
The Action Event in the Zap determines what to do when the Zap is triggered, the App to send it to (FYI) and what is created in FYI and how it is filed in FYI.
Setting up the Trigger in the Zap
How a Zap is set up will depend on which application is being connected to FYI. The following is an example of setting up a Zap for Practice Ignition to FYI.
- When you create a Zap, you are prompted to choose an app and an event. In this example, Practice Ignition is the App and Service Accepted by Client is selected as the Event (the triggers available will depend on the app that is selected).
- From the drop-down, select the account for the app (for example, the Practice Ignition account for your practice). If needed, select Add new account and follow the Zapier prompts.
- Test the Trigger to check you are connecting and to find data.
- Click Continue to set up the Action.
Setting up the Action in the Zap
The Action (the Do this) in the Zap determines what to do when the Zap is triggered, where to send it and how it is filed in FYI.
- Zapier lists the supported apps. When prompted in the Do this .. to Choose App, search for and select "FYI".
- For the Choose Action Event, select "Create Web Link".
- Click Continue.
- Select the Account. The first time you will need to select Add an account from the drop-down selection.
Paste the Access ID and Access Secret that you copied from FYI (see above). Then click Yes Continue.
Your FYI account will then show as selected.
- Click Continue.
Set up the fields that are be passed through to FYI
Using the metadata from the documents being handed over to FYI, you customize where the documents are sent to and any information that is passed through to FYI such as the filing details, for example, the name of the document. Some of these are required.
The parameters that are available will depend on the app that the document is coming from. You will see a list of the metadata that is available from the app.
When you click a field, this displays the fields that are available from the Trigger service (in the examples, from Practice Ignition).
Note: The field that shows in bold is the field name. Next to this is an example of what will be returned from the data. For example, in the screen below "1. Contact Name Frank Marshall", Contact Name is the field and Frank Marshall is a sample of what it will return. If you are not seeing examples of what a field will bring in, you can use the Find Data function in the Trigger Event of the Zap.
Click Show All Values to show additional fields. Select the values as relevant.
In the example below, the Customize fields have been set up with Name as "Proposal Name" and Web Link as the "Proposal URL". These are from Practice Ignition.
Client Email is set as the "Contact Email". User Email is set as the "Client Manager Email" within FYI so that when the files are imported, they are imported to that user's In Tray, ready for filing.
As well as Client Email, you can also include the fields for Client Code, Export Code, and XPM ID as the information that is sent. This will allow FYI to assign it to a specific client depending on what data is available so it can match to the client if there is no Client Email.
You can add text that will be sent in addition to the contents of a field.
You can add more than one field (remember to add a space between them).
In the Send Data section you can send a test to review what you have set up.
Remember to turn the Zap "On".
Create File Note
As well as creating a Web Link to a document in Practice Ignition, you can set up a Zap to create a File Note in FYI.
The fields are the same as for Create Web Link with the addition of HTML and it does not include the URL field.
HTML is a required field and you can add a field from Practice Ignition or FYI to add the initial text in the File Note that is created.
The following is an example of the File Note that is created in FYI by the Zap.
Notes for Practice Ignition
- Zapier will only bring in a Web Link as the shortcut to the document in Practice Ignition, not the full document.
- When using the Contact Email held in Practice Ignition as a parameter in Zapier, if this is a shared email address, it will use the client that has been set as the Primary client with Include in AutoFile (refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client). If none of the clients are set as the Primary, the document will not be auto-filed in FYI and it will go to the user's In Tray.
However, if you have set up AutoFile Defaults in the Zapier App in FYI (see below) these defaults will be used to AutoFile the document. This also imeans the document will not first go to a user's In Tray.
Connecting multiple Zapier accounts to FYI
You can connect more than one Zapier account to FYI. For example, if you have two separate Practice Ignition accounts, one for your accounting practice and the other for the Financial planning practice. You can use the same Keys from FYI for both Practice Ignition accounts using the steps below. FYI does not differentiate between them.
Note for Dropbox
You need to set up the Zap for Dropbox to send the document extension as well as the document name.