There are multiple ways to import and file documents in FYI.
- Filing documents directly from Office using the FYI Drawer
- Drag and Drop documents directly from Windows Explorer or from your desktop
- Uploading documents using the Import Drawer
- Using OneDrive to automatically import documents to your In Tray
There are also defaults for how documents are auto-filed in FYI.
Filing Documents Directly from Office
You can file documents in FYI directly from Word, Excel and PowerPoint using the FYI Drawer.
Refer to Saving an Office Document to FYI.
Drag and Drop
You can Drag and Drop documents into FYI directly from Windows Explorer or from your desktop.
When adding multiple files using this method, the filing details that you select will be applied to all the documents.
Drag and Drop is only available for practices on the "Intermediate" or "Pro" plan.
Refer to Drag and Drop.
Uploading Documents using the Import Drawer
You can use Upload to import any type and number of files into FYI. This is useful for images or zipped files, and for multiple files.
Using OneDrive to Automatically Import Documents to your In Tray
FYI is integrated with OneDrive.
- For every active user in FYI, a system folder is automatically created in each user's OneDrive. This is called FYI - My Imports. FYI is constantly watching and monitoring this folder. Whenever files are added to this folder, FYI detects this and automatically imports them. This is especially useful when printing to PDF from any application. They are added to the relevant user's In Tray for review and filing. You can also manually sync files from your FYI - My Imports folder by clicking the FYI - My Imports button in your In Tray. Refer to Using OneDrive FYI - My Imports to Automatically Import to your In Tray.
- The FYI - My Imports can also be used for scanned documents. This is often used where a specific member of your practice administration team is responsible for the scanning. This person can scan and upload the documents to their FYI - Imports OneDrive folder and then file them from their In Tray. Refer to Profiling Scanned Documents.
- FYI integrates with Digital Signing Apps such as Annature, Adobe Sign, DocuSign, and FuseSign. These integrations can be configured so that signed documents are automatically imported back into FYI. Refer to the section Sending Documents for Signature.
Default Cabinet, Categories and Job
As well as automatically filing documents under the relevant client, defaults can be set for the Cabinet (such as Client Files) and Categories (such as Work Type and Year) that items are filed under in FYI. If Jobs are enabled for the selected Cabinet, the default can also be set for a Xero Practice Manager Job for the client (refer to the section Jobs and Setting Up Jobs in FYI).
The defaults can be set in the following ways:
- By setting the defaults for the client in the Client - Details tab. Refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client.
- By setting or changing them in Outlook. From Outlook, the Cabinet and Categories can also be set for an open email in Outlook within the FYI Drawer, and then set as defaults by clicking the Save as client default link. Refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client from Outlook.
- You can also set your own user defaults that will be applied if none are set at the client level. These are not used in the AutoFile but are when you create new documents directly. Refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your own Login - My Settings.