FYI provides many options for automation and integration with other systems to automatically import documents. There are also defaults for how documents are auto-filed in FYI.
Emails and Calendar entries can also be auto-filed from Outlook, refer also to Introduction to Email AutoFile.
Filing Documents Directly from Office
You can auto-file documents in FYI directly from your Office products using the FYI Drawer. Refer to Saving an Office Document to FYI.
Automation Via Xero Practice Manager
FYI's integration with Xero Practice Manager allows information from Xero Ledger and Xero Tax to be automatically imported. FYI calls out to Xero Practice Manager on a scheduled daily basis.
- The Tax Return AutoFile process automatically files batches of all tax returns received electronically via Xero Tax. Refer to Displaying the Auto-Filed Tax Returns.
- Via the integration with Xero Ledger, Client Ledger Reports can be automated and imported into FYI. These are run as and when required for a specific client and automatically filed in FYI. These include Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet, Bank Summary, Trial Balance. Refer to Client Ledger Reports AutoFile.
Also as part of the integration clients, staff, jobs are updated and synchronised directly from the information held in Xero Practice Manager. Refer to Xero Practice Manager-Synchronising Clients, Staff, Jobs and Tax Returns.
Automation via OneDrive
FYI is integrated with OneDrive.
- For every active user in FYI, a system folder is automatically created in each user's OneDrive. This is called FYI - My Imports. FYI is constantly watching and monitoring this folder. Whenever files are added to this folder, FYI detects this and automatically imports them. This is especially useful when printing to PDF from any application. They are added to the relevant user's In Tray for review and filing. You can also manually sync files from your FYI - My Imports folder by clicking the FYI - My Imports button in your In Tray. Refer to Using OneDrive FYI - My Imports to Automatically Import to your In Tray.
- The FYI - My Imports can also be used for scanned documents. This is often used where a specific member of your practice administration team is responsible for the scanning. This person can scan and upload the documents to their FYI - Imports OneDrive folder and then file them from their In Tray. Refer to Profiling Scanned Documents.
- As part of the Digital Signature function (for example, via DocuSign), this can be configured so that signed documents are automatically imported back into FYI. Refer to Digital Signatures.
- OneDrive is also used when importing large number of documents (such as historical documents when migrating to FYI). Refer to the Migration section.
Automation via Other Apps
You can use Zapier to automate dataflow between FYI and other platforms, for example, to connect to Dropbox, Practice Ignition, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc., and to automatically import and file documents in FYI. Refer to Import from Zapier.
Notification of what was Imported
There are various ways to control which documents are being imported with the Automation. For example, when importing from your OneDrive FYI - My Imports folder, documents are sent to the In Tray for the relevant user for review and filing, or when Tax Returns are auto-filed from Xero Tax, this can be set up to send a notification, including an Email notification, for example, to the relative manager for the client. Refer to Clearing your In Tray and Notifications via Comments.
Default Cabinet, Categories and Job
As well as automatically filing documents under the relevant client, defaults can be set for the Cabinet (such as Client Files) and Categories (such as Work Type and Year) that items are filed under in FYI. If Jobs are enabled for the selected Cabinet, the default can also be set for a Xero Practice Manager Job for the client (refer to Jobs).
The defaults can be set in the following ways:
- By setting the defaults for the client in the Clients - Detail. Refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client.
- By setting or changing them in Outlook. From Outlook, the Cabinet and Categories can also be set for an open email in Outlook within the FYI Drawer, and then set as defaults by clicking the Save as client default link. Refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client from Outlook.
- You can also set your own user defaults that will be applied if none are set at the client level. These are not used in the AutoFile but are when you create new documents directly. Refer to Setting Filing Defaults for your Own Login.