You need to select a document in a list before you can perform certain functions on it.
- You can select a single document in a list.
- You can select multiple documents in a list.
Some functions are only relevant when a single document is selected and some functions are only relevant when multiple documents are selected.
Selecting one Document in a List
In the list, click on the relevant document, email or task. It displays as highlighted with a dark background.
Displaying the Drawer
When you select a single document in this way, the Drawer displays on the right-hand side of the screen. You can use the Drawer to preview the contents, see the filing details of the document, any attachments, comments and tasks. You can also change filing information and set up comments and tasks for the document. Refer to Using the Drawer and Using the Email Drawer. The Drawer can also be displayed from within Outlook or Office. Refer to Displaying the Drawer in FYI, Outlook and Office.
Tool Bar Functions
When a document is highlighted in a list, functions that are relevant for that document display in the tool bar (see Using the Tool Bar to Work on Documents below).
Selecting One or More Documents with the Checkboxes
Click the checkboxes on the left-hand column of the list to select the document(s).
When one or more document is selected with the checkbox, the drawer does not automatically display.
Note: When one or more document is checkmarked in a list, you cannot then click on a single document and display the Drawer for it. First unselect any checkmarked documents (see Unselecting Documents in a List below).
Selecting all Documents in the Current Page
Click the checkbox in the column heading to select all the documents currently displayed on that page. This is useful if, for example, you have set filters to first display only the documents that are relevant.
The number of documents selected in this way depends on the number currently displayed per page. By default, this is 25 documents and you can change this to 50 or 100 at the bottom of the list.
Unselecting Documents in a List
There are various way to unselect documents.
- Click Cancel in the tool bar. This unselects documents regardless of how they have been selected.
- If you have clicked on a single document, and the Drawer is displayed, clicking the X in Drawer will also unselect the document.
- If you have clicked the checkbox for one or more documents, clicking the checkbox(es) again removes the check.
- If you have selected all documents in a page, click the checkbox in the column header again to unselect all.
Using the Tool Bar to Work on Documents
When you select one or more document in a list, buttons display in the tool bar with additional functions.
These allow you to perform various functions, depending on the list and type of document or email selected. Refer to Using the Document Action Tool Bar.
The tool bar functions that are relevant according to whether a single document or multiple documents are selected and the current state of a document (for example, if a document is locked from editing or if an email is draft or sent). You use the tool bar to do the following functions, as relevant:
- Edit a document, task or job.
- Reply, Reply All or Forward an email.
- Copy an email, document or task.
- Delete one or more documents.
- Read to open a document in it's own tab.
- Doc Link to create a hyperlink to a selected document.
- Share documents via email.
- Delivery to set the Delivery Status and mark documents as Sent or Received, or to Clear the Delivery Status.
- Export one or more documents.
- Convert to covert a document to PDF.
- Staple to staple together relevant documents.
- Bulk Update to update the filing details (such as Client, Cabinet, Status, Owner, and the Workflow Status) for all selected documents.
Displaying the Tool Bar as a Pop-up Menu
You can also right-click over the document to display the tool bar as a pop-up menu. The pop-up tool bar menu is only applicable for a single document, so this does not display if more than one document is checkmarked. Refer to Using the Document Action Tool Bar.
Bulk Update Filing Details of Selected Documents
You can use Bulk Update to make changes to multiple documents/emails/tasks/jobs at the same time. Refer to Bulk Updating of Filing Details. You can also checkmark a single document and click Bulk Update but there are only limited filing details you can change in this way.