As part of migrating historical information, your documents are imported from a folder structure that represents your filing structure.
For practices integrated with Xero Practice Manager, the FYI import function will use folder names to match clients in Xero Practice Manager. If any Clients in Xero Practice Manager do not match your nominated folder structure for FYI, the clients and documents can be created as Unmatched Client names and resolved. Refer to Creating and Resolving Unmatched Clients (Folder-Based Systems) in Implementors: Live Import.
Note: When you begin your trial with FYI and your client list is migrated, this does not bring in any of your archived clients. However, when you import your documents (from your historical document store) if there are any archived clients in Xero Practice Manager, these will be imported but will not match to a client in FYI. The FYI import will create these as ‘Unmatched clients' in FYI, and should be archived.
Displaying the Status and Source in the Clients List
You can use the Status column in the Clients list to filter on "Unmatched" clients as well as "Archived" clients. You can also use the Clients Bulk Update to set "Unmatched" clients as "Archived". Refer to Bulk Update Unmatched Clients as Archived in Clients Bulk Update.
You can also include the Source column to display and filter the source of the client. Refer to Adding/Removing/Moving Columns in the Clients Lists. This column shows the following:
- XPM - The client has been created/synced from XPM.
- Practice Sync - The client has been created/synced with the Generic Practice Management Software (refer to Integration with Generic Practice Management Software).
- Legacy - The client has been created from the migration process, but was not matched with a client in FYI, The unmatched client was created in FYI in the Refile function and then shows the Source as Legacy. Refer to Creating and Resolving Unmatched Clients in Implementors: Live Import.
Using Resolve Clients
The following are some examples of how Resolve Clients is used and what it does.
Note: The Resolve Clients function is only included if there are any unmatched clients.
- There is a difference in the spelling of the name in the folder. For example, in the folder structure, the client name has been entered as "Jones, Antony" but the correct name in Xero Practice Manager is "Jones, Anthony". An Unmatched Client is created for "Jones, Antony".
Use the Resolve Clients function to match the incorrect client name to the actual client. All the documents will show in FYI under the actual client name as held in Xero Practice Manager.
- There is an additional folder for a client with a different name. For example, most of the documents for "Smith, Abigail" are in the folder structure as "Smith, Abigail" but there is also an additional folder "Smith, Abigail 1" with some additional documents.
Use the Resolve Clients function to match the additional client to the actual client.
When merging an Unmatched Client into an actual client, you do not lose anything already filed to the actual client. The actual client will now contain both sets of documents. All the documents will have the client's name as the actual client.
- There is an Unmatched Client that you do not want to import as an active client. This may be, for example, for a historical client from before you started using Xero Practice Manager.
This client can be archived, and will not be included in the Client search when creating new documents. Refer to Archived Clients.
- From FYI, you can mark Unmatched clients as "Archived" using the Clients Bulk Update. Refer to Bulk Update Unmatched Clients as Archived in Clients Bulk Update.
- The name of an archived client can be changed in the Client - Summary tab (refer to Client Summary). This can be useful when clients are imported as part of the migration and they have been imported as Client Codes instead of names.
- If you are sure you do not need the documents for the imported Unmatched Client, and are sure it is not needed as an archived client, it can be deleted in the Resolve Clients function. This will also delete the associated documents. Refer below to Deleting an Unmatched Client.
Matching an Unmatched Client
An Unmatched Client can be matched to a Client in Xero Practice Manager:
- Using the FYI Resolve Clients function (refer below to Matching an Unmatched Client in the Resolved Clients Function).
- Using the Unmatched Client Import process (refer to Unmatched Client Import).
Matching an Unmatched Client in the Resolved Clients Function
- Display the Clients list on the Clients workspace.
- Click the filter for the Status column.
- Filter only on "Unmatched"
The Clients list includes unmatched clients which display Unmatched next to the Client Name.
- Select the Resolve Clients function from the View Tools on the right-hand side.
Note: The Resolve Clients button is only included if there are any unmatched clients.
The Merge Clients displays a list of unmatched clients that were created in FYI.
The Archive Client button only displays for FYI Admins.
Note: This can also be accessed from Settings - Practice Settings - Documents - Export tab.
- Select an Unmatched Client and, on the right-hand side, search for the correct Client in Xero Practice Manager.
- Click Merge to match it.
When merging an Unmatched Client into an actual client, you do not lose anything already filed to the actual client. The actual client will now contain both sets of documents. All documents will have the client's name as the actual client.
Exporting the Unmatched Clients
You can export a list of the names of the Unmatched Clients as a CSV file which you can open in Excel. This can be useful to compare to your previous system to check which client to match to the Unmatched Client in FYI. From the Actions button, select Export.
Save Documents for Unmatched Clients
If you need to save documents for an unmatched client that doesn't exist in your Practice Management system, for example, Xero Practice Manager, you will need to create the client. This is useful for when you have historical clients that are no longer active, but you still need to import the documents.
Using Xero Practice Manager as an example:
- Create the client in Xero Practice Manager.
- Run a manual sync, or wait for the overnight synchronisation to create the client in FYI.
- Merge the unmatched client to the newly created client.
- Save all required documents.
- Archive the client in Xero Practice Manager; the client will be archived in FYI automatically.
Archiving Unmatched Clients
Unmatched clients should be archived. The client, and any imported documents, will be stored in FYI as an Archived client. Refer to Archived Clients.
The name of the Unmatched Client can be changed if needed in the Client - Summary tab (refer to Client Summary). This is useful if the client name has been imported as a Client Code.
Removing Unmatched Clients that have no Files
You can remove any of the unmatched clients that do not have any files. From the Actions button, select Remove unassigned. This checks any of the clients that are unassigned and removes them from the list of unmatched clients.
Removing all Unmatched Clients and documents
You can also remove all the unmatched clients that have files. From the Actions button, select Remove all unmatched clients and documents. You are prompted to confirm. This checks any of the clients that are unassigned that have documents. This removes the clients and documents and removes the client from the list of unmatched clients.
Deleting an Unmatched Client
If you are sure you do not need any information relating to the imported Unmatched Client it can be deleted from Merge Clients. This will remove the unmatched client but any associated documents are left and can be refiled under a different client. This function is only available to FYI Admins.
Before deleting an Unmatched client, ensure that it is not needed as an archived client.
To delete unmatched clients:
- Tick the appropriate clients to be removed
- Click Bulk Update
- Click the Delete toggle to change it to Yes
- Click Run
The clients will be scheduled to be removed accordingly.
If a Client is Merged with the Wrong Client
If you accidentally merge an unresolved client to the wrong client you can refile the documents to the correct client using Bulk Update.
You can identify the documents that need to be updated as follows:
- Select the client that the unresolved client was merged to in Clients.
- Display the Client - Documents tab.
- Add the Source column to the view to show where the files were imported from. This will display information such as the directory (refer to Adding/Removing/Moving Columns in the Documents Lists).
- Filter the view to show only these documents (refer to Sorting and Filtering Documents Lists).
- Select the documents and use Bulk Update to file them to the correct client (refer to Bulk Updating of Filing Details).