The Time Sheet function allows you to create time sheets within FYI that are synchronised to Xero Practice Manager. This allows you to to complete all your daily time sheet functions directly within FYI.
Time Sheets are recorded against a Client, with a Job and an XPM Task.
You can add Time Sheet information in either of the following ways:
- Create a new Time Sheet using the + New button and selecting Time Sheet,
or press the shortcut key I.
- For a document selected in a list, click the Add Time icon in the tools at the top of the Drawer.
Adding a Time Sheet
- Click + New. Select I from the list of document types. You can also press the shortcut key I for a new Time Sheet
From an open document, click the Add time icon in the header of the Drawer.
The Create Time Sheet displays.
- Select or enter the filing fields, or change the defaults that are given.
When creating the Time Sheet for a selected document, the Client and Job for that document are shown as default but can be changed if relevant.
Date - Date defaults to today's date. To change this, click the Date field and select the date from the calendar.
User - User defaults to your name. If adding the Time Sheet for a different person, select the name from the drop-down list.
Client - type at least three characters of the client name to display all clients containing those characters anywhere in the Client Name. Then click to select the required client.
When adding a Time Sheet for an open document, this defaults to the client of the selected document and can be changed if relevant.
Job - Select the Job for the client (refer to Jobs).
When adding a Time Sheet for a document, this defaults to the Job of the selected document and can be changed if relevant. You can only select a job that is still open.
XPM Task - Select the Xero Practice Manager Task for the selected Job.
Time - Enter the time taken. This is entered in hours and minutes in the format hh:mm.
Enter the time without the colon (:). FYI will automatically add the colon. For example,
to enter 1 hour 30 minutes type 0130
to enter 15 minutes type 0015.
To change the time entered, click the X in the Time field to delete it and then enter it again.
Notes - add any notes for the Time Sheet.
When adding a Time Sheet for an open document, this defaults to the type and the name of the selected document, for example "Letter: ATO Overdue Payment" or "Email: BAS Due" and this can be changed if required.
Billable - This defaults to "On". If the Time Sheet is not billable, click this to switch Billable to "Off".
The Time Sheet is saved in FYI and can be displayed in your Dashboard, using the My Time tab.
Note: Where the respective user is not assigned to the defaulted job, FYI will need to add the user temporarily and then remove it. When this is the case, you may receive a notification from Xero Practice Manager.
Synchronisation with Xero Practice Manager
Time Sheets are synchronised to Xero Practice Manager immediately.
Making Changes and Displaying Time Sheets for Other Users
- Any changes to a Time Sheet need to be done in Xero Practice Manager.
- If you need to display Time Sheets for another user, this needs to be done in Xero Practice Manager.
Displaying Time Sheets
In your Dashboard, use the My Time tab to display the Time Sheets you have added.
The dates default to the current week. Click the start or end date to display the calendar to select a different date range.
Recommended Approach to Recording Time in FYI
We recommend recording your Time Sheets from within FYI, rather than via Xero Practice Manager. This allows you to leverage the data that is already in FYI by recording your time against the documents and client interactions in FYI. The better the filing of your documents, the more optimised your time recording will become.
One approach is to record your time at the end of the day as follows:
- From your Dashboard in FYI, display the My Recent tab.
- This displays all the documents you have created or edited during the day. The Modified On column shows the date and time the document was created or edited.
- You can click on each of the relevant documents in the My Recent page and assign time to each from the FYI drawer.
- You can display the My Time tab to see how many hours you have recorded for the relevant day.