You can create an email by selecting one or more documents filed in FYI that you would like to send.
For a video walkthrough that includes this feature, refer to Creating an Email in FYI (5 min).
- In FYI from any list, select one or more documents you want to send.
To select multiple documents, select the documents you want to send by clicking the checkboxes on the left-hand column next to the relevant documents/emails. Refer also to Selecting Documents in a List.
The Create Email options display in the drawer.
The selected file(s) are automatically attached and show in the Attachments section.
If required, you can select any additional documents filed in FYI by clicking Add Document.
To remove a selected document, click the X next to it.
- Enter or change any of the Create Email options.
Client - To search for a different Client, type at least three characters of the Client’s name to display all clients containing those characters anywhere in the Client Name. Then click to select the one required.
Recipients - If the email is being sent to additional recipients, or to CC or BCC recipients, or to a different email address other than that of the client it is being filed under, click the Recipient link. Refer to Creating an Email in FYI.
Template - If relevant, you can select from a library of Templates maintained for your practice. If relevant for the selected template, default values for one or more Categories are offered providing a Cabinet is selected that uses the relevant Category/Categories. You can change the value for the Categories if required. Refer to Creating Emails from Templates.
Name - this identifies the email internally and is the name that displays in the lists in FYI.
Enter the filing details (refer also to Using the Email Drawer.Cabinet - If the selected Client has a default Cabinet, or you have a default for your own settings, this is displayed. This can be changed if required.
Defaults display for additional filing fields depending on the Cabinet selected, for example, Categories, Jobs, Tags and Keywords. Refer to Jobs and Tags and Keywords.
- Select if you want to save the email as a draft or send it. In Save or Send, select Draft in FYI, Draft in Outlook, or Send Immediately.
- If you do not need to make any changes to the content (for example, when using a template) you can select Send Immediately.
- Selecting Draft in FYI will keep the email inside FYI, where you can assign tasks, share comments and workflow the email if it needs to be edited or reviewed by other users in your practice. You can leave the email as draft in FYI to send later or so it can be sent by another user.
- Selecting Draft in Outlook will send the email to your FYI - Drafts folder in Outlook so you can edit the email in Outlook. You will then be able to add additional recipients, set the importance flag, set the read receipt, attach documents from Windows Explorer and send the email directly from Outlook.
Once the email has been created as a Draft in Outlook, if you make any changes from Outlook, you cannot send the draft back to FYI. You need to make all the required changes and send it from Outlook. In FYI, you can only Preview the email (with the Preview tab on the drawer).
- In Send via, select how you want to include the attachments (OneDrive, Email or Postal Service).
Set the Include as PDF switch to "On" to send the attachments as PDF files, or "Off" to send in their original file format.
- When set as Email, the documents are included in the email as attachments, either as PDFs or as a copy of the selected documents according to how to Include as PDF was set.
- When set as OneDrive, the attachment is sent as a link The attached document is included in the Client - Collaborate tab. Refer also to Sending Documents via the Practice OneDrive Account, and Sending Documents via OneDrive - Share.
- When set as Postal Service, the Create button is not shown and a message displays at the bottom of the Drawer as a reminder. You can click Cancel to stop the send and send the document by post.
- Click Create.
The email is created with the document(s) attached and is either saved as a draft or sent, depending on what you selected for Save or Send. The documents are included as attachments, either as PDFs or as a copy of the selected documents according to how Include as PDF was set.
Up to 10 files can be attached to an email. There is a total limit of 15MB to the size of the file(s) attached.
When the sent email is filed, you can open the Attachments section and click on the attachment to display the drawer for that attachment. You can also click the Open icon to open the document that was sent as the attachment. The attachment will not be saved as a separate document in FYI as it is already a filed document.