The FYI Add-ins can especially have issues with Remote Desktop environments caused by combinations of older versions of Microsoft Office and enhanced security often present in a managed environment.
The typical symptom is users being unable to log in to FYI Add-ins in desktop Outlook or Office, whereas the FYI Add-in is enabled and works with online Outlook and Office for the same user.
It is recommended to troubleshoot with administrator rights for Remote Desktop environments to make the configuration changes to isolate the cause.
Test for resolution
After each step, do the following to test for resolution
- Open Outlook desktop
- Log in to FYI from the FYI Drawer
- Repeat for an Office desktop application
Areas to Check
This article covers the following areas which could be causing an issue.
- Error "This app could not be started. Close this dialog to ignore the problem or click "Restart" to try again."
- Error "Waiting for the machines to run. The email will be uploaded at next synchronisation"
- Error Message "Trouble Loading FYI"
- White screen when logging in
- Virus Protection
- Internet Explorer 11
- Outlook and Office Desktop
- Issue with the Profile
- FYI Add-ins not working through Remote Desktop server
- Older Versions of Outlook on a Terminal Server
- Check the Credential Manager in Windows
Error "This app could not be started. Close this dialog to ignore the problem or click "Restart" to try again."
If the error message relates to "This app could not be started. Close this dialog to ignore the problem or click "Restart" to try again."
Make sure that you have the latest Office updates are installed, or download the update for Office 2013.
For more information, please refer to this help article:
Error "Waiting for the machines to run. The email will be uploaded at next synchronisation"
If the error message relates to "Waiting for the machines to run. The email will be uploaded at next synchronisation":
Diagnosis: The auto-login to Office 365 on the computer is set up under a different or incorrect account.
This may occur if the auto-login account was entered incorrectly, such as a misspelled email, or the auto-login is set to log in under a different account.
Fix: To ensure that you are logging correctly into Outlook, you can disable the auto-login and then enter the login to ensure this is the correct account.
- In Outlook, click File. In the Account Information, click the Account Settings button then select Account Setting from the list.
- In the Email tab, click Change, then click More Settings.
- On the Security tab, check the box next to "Always prompt for logon credentials."
- Click Apply.
- Log out of Outlook and log back in with the correct account.
FYI users might encounter issues with the FYI Add-in, specifically where the FYI add-in fails to load or is inaccessible.
In this article, we'll discuss a specific scenario: the FYI Add-in has stopped responding, and threw out an error message but does not provide a detailed error message as shown below:
"Sorry, we had to restart because this add-in wasn't responding"
We have Identified the Pre FYI Cabinet, with its corresponding Categories labelled as follows: Pre FYI 1, 2, 3, and so on, as possibly causing the FYI Add-in to fail from loading properly.
The reason being is that this Cabinet and its Categories are used as part of our client data/document migration. If there is significant data in each of the above categories, they may well result to slow loading times which sometimes results in the FYI add-in to stop responding.
To troubleshoot the issue, we need an FYI User with admin rights/access to check the following:
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select Documents.
- Go to the Cabinets tab.
- Check if you have the Cabinet Pre FYI with the Categories Pre FYI 1, Pre FYI 2, Pre FYI 3 and so on.
- If you find the Cabinet Pre FYI, or Categories Pre FYI 1, 2, 3, 4 or similar, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our support team will then liaise with the appropriate personnel to assess if these can be removed.
Error Message Trouble Loading FYI
If the error message relates to "Trouble Loading FYI. Check your internet connection and try again."
- Check the computer has Windows 10 installed and check the Outlook version and build.
Pre-requisites for running add-ons are:
The 32- or 64-bit version of Office 2013 or a later version, running on Windows 7 or a later version.
- The Add-On does not have any configuration, it is all executed by Microsoft hosted in IE11 and FYI does not have any way to set any proxy settings.
Refer to the following for additional information.
- Try running https://office.fyidocs.com from Internet Explorer 11.
- Clear local storage, cache and browser history from IE11 and then re-run FYI.
Delete Browsing History
Open your browser and delete the browsing history. For Internet Explorer 11 in Windows:
a) Open the Tools in the top right-hand corner.
b) Select Safety, then select Delete Browsing History.
c) Checkmark History and Temporary Internet files and website files
d) Click Delete.
- Run Outlook as Administrator.
Ensure ESC (Enhanced Security Configuration) is turned off for administrator and users.
- Check if the client is running a VPN. It’s possible that the VPN is blocking FYI.
Turn off the VPN and try running FYI again.
White screen when logging in
When logging into FYI, user gets a white screen.
Clear the cache from your browser history then re-run FYI.
- Open your browser and delete the cache. For Chrome:
- Check Cached images and files
- Click Clear data
If virus or firewall protections exist that beyond the standard Microsoft utilities
- Temporarily disable the 3rd party virus protection (for the current user)
Run the test for resolution (see above). If the FYI Drawer does not load, then continue with the steps outlined below.
Note: If disabling the virus protection solved the issue, email FYI Support for assistance with configuring the protection without compromising the overall security of the practice.
Return to Areas to Check.
Internet Explorer 11
If you are using Internet Explorer 11
- Ensure Outlook and all other Office products (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) are closed.
- Open Internet Explorer 11,
- Ensure Enhanced Security Configuration is turned off (ESC)
- Delete Browsing History
- Select the Cog in the top right-hand corner
- Select Security
- Select Delete Browsing History
- Tick all options
- Select Delete
Outlook and Office Desktop
Check the latest Office and Outlook updates are installed
- Open any Office product or Outlook
- Select File
- Select Office Account
- Office Updates / About
- If updates exist that are pending, then download and install
Ensure you are running the latest version of FYI Add-in
- Select anywhere in the FYI Drawer, select Ctrl + F5
Issue with the Profile
Check if the error is happening to one user, and if so, check if it occurs only on a single computer for this user. If it is only for a specific computer, this indicates that the issue is environmental to that computer or that there is an issue with the Profile (see below).
- Create a new profile on the affected computer to check if this corrects the error. Refer to the following articles: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account
FYI Add-ins not working through Remote Desktop server
Please do the following:
- Try to run https://office.fyidocs.com from IE11
- Clear local storage, cache and browser history from IE11 and re-run
- Run Outlook as Administrator
- Ensure ESC (Enhanced Security Configuration) is turned off for administrator and users.
If you are still having the issue
- Add https://office.fyidocs.com as a Trusted Site
- Check if you are not running a Volume Licence version of Outlook (especially if it's 32 bit). You can find the version by going to File->Office Account and it's on the right under about Outlook.
Older Versions of Outlook on a Terminal Server
There is a known issue with the older versions of Outlook on a terminal server.
- If the error message relates to "Microsoft Windows is not compatible with FYI":
Diagnosis: FYI is supported for use on Windows 10. Check that FYI loads within Outlook when used on a computer with Windows 10 installed.
Fix: Check the computer has Windows 10 installed.
- If the error message relates to "Outdated version of Outlook":
Diagnosis: If you can login to FYI via Outlook , check the version that displays at the bottom of the FYI Drawer.
As of September 2019, this version is 2.0.10.
Fix: You can update the version in Outlook by pressing Ctrl + F5.
Check the Credential Manager in Windows
- Reboot your computer.
Before opening any Office app or Outlook -
- Open Credential Manager in Windows.
- Remove any stored credentials that reference to Office or Outlook.
If the issue is still not resolved, email FYI Support for additional assistance.