You can start your migration process by downloading the FYI Migrate app which you can direct toward your existing file store and begin syncing your documents.
The FYI Migrate app will run a live sync of your historical documents including any newly created or edited documents until a designated migration cut-off date and time.
Note: Throughout the syncing process, your documents remain accessible via your legacy system and your team can continue to create and edit documents.
The steps below walk you through the process of downloading and installing our FYI Migrate app.
- The FYI Migrate app syncs your documents, meaning it takes a "live copy" and continues to sync as users create new documents and edit existing ones. The sync will continue running until you stop the FYI Migrate app. You can sync everything and leave the FYI Migrate app running to keep syncing, until such time as you plan on importing. If you need help with the FYI Migrate app, please contact the FYI Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When you decide you are ready, you stop the sync and the next steps will be handled by your FYI Client Success Manager.
Before you begin the Data Migration
- You must have an active FYI account (trial or paid)
- You will be required to enter billing details (don't worry, we won't charge you until your trial is complete)
- If you haven’t already done so, book a Discovery call with our client success team to discuss the process. This can be booked via the Onboarding Wizard.
- If migrating from a folder system, perform any cleanup of files and folders beforehand.
- If migrating from a cloud-storage system, sync your documents locally to the machine you will be migrating from, before beginning FYI's sync.
Refer below to What about systems other than MYOB, Virtual Cabinet, Windows Explorer, HowNow or Handisoft?
- Contact your IT provider to prepare a computer or server that can run the sync non-stop. The computer or server needs to:
- be configured so that it does not shut down periodically. Any shut down will stop the FYI sync.
- have access to the files, folders and/or databases that you will be syncing.
- they can review the Technical Requirements at the bottom of this article
This video walks you through the first steps of the document migration process: downloading, installing and logging into FYI's Migrate app.
Note: This application is designed for Windows 64 bit versions. This does not run on Mac OS.
Step 1. Download the FYI Migrate app
From the Migrate Documents section in the Onboarding Wizard, click Download. This will download a FYIMigrate.zip file.
Step 2. Extract the application files
Extract the files in the FYIMigrate.zip file.
Step 3. Run the application file
Run the extracted application file FYI Migrate.
If prompted, click the More Info link, then click Run anyway.
This will install the FYI Migrate app.
Note: If you get any errors on the installation of this application, first discuss it with your IT provider. If they are unable to successfully install the application, please contact the FYI Support Team at email@example.com.
Step 4. Login using your Windows Microsoft 365 (FYI) login
If your IT provider requires Proxy details, tick the proxy box and enter the relevant details.
When you click Login with Windows you will be directed to a browser tab where you can login.
As part of the login, you will be asked to accept permissions to enable the FYI Migrate app to run. You can select "Consent on behalf of your organisation" if you prefer not to be prompted each time.
Click Accept to continue.
Once logged in, you will be prompted to close the browser tab and return to the application.
Step 5. Select the location of your source documents
Select MYOB Document Manager, Virtual Cabinet, Windows Explorer, HowNow or Handisoft as the location of your source documents.
If you are not on one of these, see below for information on what to select.
The next step depends on what you selected as your current system.
What about systems other than MYOB, Virtual Cabinet, Windows Explorer, HowNow or Handisoft?
If your documents are stored with any other platform, then select Windows Explorer.
- Other on-premise document management systems
For document management systems you will be syncing the underlying folders. For assistance locating the root directory containing your documents, please refer to your IT provider.
- Other cloud-based document management systems
If your documents are stored in the cloud (Dropbox, SharePoint/SuiteFiles, Google Drive etc), you will need to sync your documents locally. Once synced locally, you will use the Windows Explorer method linked above. To set up the local sync, you may be able to follow the instructions linked below, otherwise, refer to your IT provider.
Note: When syncing from a cloud location it is important that the documents are stored locally, not just presenting as a ghost copy.
For example, this folder is available via the cloud, not synced locally:
Whereas this folder has been synced locally:
Some IT providers may require the below information to prepare the system for the sync.
What permissions does the user need to have on the folders being synced?
- Read; or
- Read & execute; or
- List folder contents
- UDP 53
- TCP 443
- Approximately 3 kilobytes per document being uploaded