This article details the steps in the FYI Migrate app when you have selected MYOB Document Manager or Virtual Cabinet as your current system (refer to Using the FYI Migrate App to Sync your Data).
Please note, since the recording of this video, the option to Include Folder Name on Export is no longer shown and is automatically set "On".
Enter the Server Name and Database Name
- Enter the Server Name and Database Name for your MYOB or Virtual Cabinet documents (if a password is required for the FYI app to access the SQL database, then enter those details also, otherwise leave blank).
By default, the server name is set to “localhost” (for both systems) and the database to "VPMSER" (for MYOB) or "VirtualCabinet" (for Virtual Cabinet).
If you do not know this information, refer to Extra Note: How to find MYOB server and database details at the end of this article. This may require the assistance of your IT provider.
- Click Next.
If you enter an incorrect Server Name and then click Next, the app will display an error.
Select your Folder(s) to Migrate
When the Server Name and Database Name have been entered correctly, you are prompted to add the folders that hold the files to migrate.
Click Add and select the top-level folder containing the documents to migrate.
For Virtual Cabinet this is usually called "VCFileStore" or similar (and should contain folders similar to the above screenshot).
For MYOB this is usually called "DMFS_VPMSER", "VPMSER", "DMFS_AODB1" or similar.
When the folder is selected it displays in the migrate application.
Important note For MYOB or Virtual Cabinet:
- It is the head folder we want to sync (should look like our screenshots)
- Not the internal folders (i.e. 2018, 2019, index1, index2 etc)
In the Select your folder(s) to Migrate, Back takes you back one screen, Add lets you add a folder or another folder, Remove removes the select folder and Clear removes all the selected folders.
To continue with your selection, click Done.
For Virtual Cabinet, select Use Client ID or Use Client Code
For Virtual Cabinet, select if you want to use the Client ID or Client Code to indicate whichever will match the client correctly to Xero Practice Manager.
Note: If a match is not made on the respective Client ID or Client Code, FYI will then try to match on the Client name. If there is no match on the Client name, the client is created as an umatched client which can be resolved after the migration, using resolve unmatched (refer to Resolving Unmatched Clients).
To continue with your selection, click Done.
Start the Syncing
The Syncing screen displays.
To begin syncing your MYOB or Virtual Cabinet documents with FYI, click Start.
If you want to double-check your selection before starting, you can click Restart Wizard and it will return you to the first step in the process (but it will remember what you have entered, so you don't have to completely start from scratch).
Once the Sync is Underway
Before beginning the sync, the application will check the selected directories for the number of documents.
The headline status shows what the application is doing while you wait for the sync to begin.
The following is an example of the Syncing screen for Virtual Cabinet.
Note: Once the first sync is complete, the app will return to the top and look for any new/edited documents and sync them also. This process repeats hourly until either the app is closed or the sync is stopped.
Extra Note: How to find MYOB & Virtual Cabinet server and database details
Finding the MYOB Server Name and Database Name
For MYOB sites you can usually find the server name and database name in the DMFS folder location in a document called databaselookup.xml. In the example below, this shows the Server Name of MYOBSRV\MYOBACCT and the Database Name is AODB1.
How to find the MYOB or Virtual Cabinet Server Name and Database Name
Where the defaults or above suggestions do not work, you can always find what you need using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. Note, you may need the assistance of your IT provider to perform the following steps.
- Run SQL Server Management Studio and log in.
If you are running the FYI Migrate app on the SQL Server machine, then the server "localhost" will usually work.
The default Database name for MYOB is "VPMSER" and for Virtual Cabinet, it is "VirtualCabinet".
- Locate the server name and database name
In this screenshot example, the server is "ACCDATABASE20" and the database is "VirtualCabinet".
Introduction to Live Import
When the syncing begins, your documents will LIVE IMPORT into FYI. Refer also to Implementors: Live Import.
- Cabinets and Categories in FYI will be generated automatically directly from the MYOB or Virtual Cabinet data.
- FYI will place the documents into Cabinets and Categories based on the original data in MYOB or Virtual Cabinet.
- FYI will look to match Client Names and Client Codes with Xero Practice Manager where possible.
- FYI will also look to assign the Year where possible.
Note: It is acceptable if Client Names, Years etc. do not appear to come into FYI perfectly during the live import. It could be, for example, that the Client Name was spelt slightly differently, or the Client Code is not in Xero Practice Manager. These issues can be resolved following the completion of the migration process. FYI will provide instructions.
How documents behave inside of FYI during the LIVE IMPORT
- If a document appears in FYI, it can be selected, edited, refiled etc.
- For Live Import from MYOB, if FYI identifies a new version of the document, from your historical document store, FYI will version that on top of any edits made inside of FYI.
- For Live Import from Virtual Cabinet, because of the way documents are recorded, there would be a separate document uploaded, not a new version.
Note: We suggest your users are careful editing documents that are still live importing.
Once your data sync is complete, liaise with your Client Success Manager who will arrange refiling in consultation with you.