In the FYI Migrate application, click Windows Explorer (refer to Document Migration Set Up).
This video walks through the process outlined below to quickly sync your document folders.
Note: If your folders include groups or any other complexities or major inconsistencies, please ensure you understand the document import process before syncing your documents.
Select your Folder(s) to Migrate
- When prompted to select your folder(s), click Add Folder.
- Select the Folder(s) from Windows Explore that you want to sync.
Note: You can add multiple folders.
Before clicking Done, decide whether you want to Include folder name on export.
If you are syncing only client files, then it is not overly important.
If however you are syncing both client files and other internal files (such as an "Admin" or "HR" folder), then it is important to Include folder name on export so that its easier to import your client documents, separate to your Admin and HR files further down the track.
As a Guide:
If the folders selected were:
We would select "Include folder name on export"
If we had only selected:
Then we would still recommend selecting "Include folder name on export"
If the folder(s) selected were at a higher level, and did not provide context to the type of documents, for example:
C:\Users\HowNow\Data (which contained 'Clients' 'Admin' and 'HR')
Then we do not need to select "Include folder name on export"
Once you are comfortable with your selection, click Done.
To begin syncing your MYOB documents with FYI simply select Start.
If you want to double-check your selection before selecting Start, you can click on Restart Wizard and it will return you to the first step in the process (but will remember what you have entered).
Once the Sync is Underway
- Before beginning the sync, the application will check the selected directories for the number of documents
The "UPLOAD STATUS" will advise what the application is doing while you wait for the sync to begin.
- Once the first sync is complete, the app will return to the top and look for any new/edited documents and sync them also. The "Skipped" documents are those which the system found had no changes since they were initially synced. This process repeats until either the app is closed or the sync is stopped.
Note: The number of documents uploaded + the number of documents skipped may not equal the total. This occurs where the document cannot be uploaded. Most common examples:
- The document is in the process of being edited
- The document has an extremely long file path (greater than 256 characters).
Once the Sync is Complete
The next steps will be handled by your FYI Client Success Manager. Refer to The Onboarding Process.
Answers to common questions are outlined below.
What if the Sync Stops?
If you select Stop the sync will effectively pause. You can then select Start to continue the sync.
If the FYI Migrate application is closed, or the computer it is running on is shutdown, the syncing process may stop. To restart the sync:
- Simply open the application
- Log back in (if prompted)
- Ensure all settings are exactly as they were.
- Then start the sync again (it will pickup where it left off).
Important note: At step 3, if you sync a different folder to the one you synced originally, or if the "include folder name on import" is checkmarked, when it wasn't originally (or vice verse), this can result in duplicate data. Duplicates can of course be deleted from within FYI following the import completion, but if at anytime you need FYI to completely clear your sync so that you can start again, please submit a support request and pause any ongoing syncs.
How to Perform a Secondary Sync?
- At any time you can stop a sync, open the app again and reselect the existing folder locations as well as add another.
- The existing folder will be synced again, but no duplicate documents will be brought across (so long as you have set the sync up exactly the same, as explained in our important note above).
- Any new folders added will be synced up as per usual.
- If you need to import data from both MYOB + Windows Explorer, please contact FYI to arrange assisted onboarding.