This article details the steps in the FYI Migrate app when you have selected Windows Explorer as your current system (refer to Using the FYI Migrate App to Sync your Data).
This video walks through the process outlined below to quickly sync your document folders.
Note: If your folders include groups or any other complexities or major inconsistencies, please ensure you understand the document import process before syncing your documents.
Select your Folder(s) to Migrate
- When prompted to select your folder(s), click Add Folder.
- Select the Folder(s) from Windows Explore that you want to sync.
Note: You can add multiple folders.
Before clicking Done, decide whether you want to Include folder name on export.
If you are syncing only client files, then it is not overly important.
If however you are syncing both client files and other internal files (such as an "Admin" or "HR" folder), then it is important to Include folder name on export so that its easier to import your client documents, separate to your Admin and HR files further down the track.
As a Guide:
If the folders selected were:
We would select "Include folder name on export"
If we had only selected:
Then we would still recommend selecting "Include folder name on export"
If the folder(s) selected were at a higher level, and did not provide context to the type of documents, for example:
C:\Users\Jack\Documents\Data (which contained 'Clients' 'Admin' and 'HR')
Then we do not need to select "Include folder name on export"
Once you are comfortable with your selection, click Done.
To begin syncing your documents with FYI simply select Start.
If you want to double-check your selection before selecting Start, you can click on Restart Wizard and it will return you to the first step in the process (but will remember what you have entered).
Once the Sync is Underway
- Before beginning the sync, the application will check the selected directories for the number of documents
The "UPLOAD STATUS" will advise what the application is doing while you wait for the sync to begin.
- Once the first sync is complete, the app will return to the top and look for any new/edited documents and sync them also. The "Skipped" documents are those which the system found had no changes since they were initially synced. This process repeats until either the app is closed or the sync is stopped.
Introduction to Live Import
When the syncing begins, your documents will LIVE IMPORT into FYI.
- FYI will place the documents into Cabinets, that it automatically creates, based on the folder names selected above.
- FYI will look to match Client Names and Client Codes with XPM where possible.
- FYI will also look to assign the Year where possible.
Please note, that it is acceptable if Client Names, Years etc do not appear to come into FYI perfectly during the live import. It could be, for example, that the Client Name was spelt slightly differently, or the Client Code is not in XPM. These issues can be resolved following the completion of the migration process. FYI will provide instructions.
How documents behave inside of FYI during the LIVE IMPORT
- If a document appears in FYI, it can be selected, edited, refiled etc.
- If FYI identifies a new version of the document, from your historical document store, FYI will version that on top of any edits made inside of FYI.
Note: We suggest your users are careful editing documents that are still live importing.