This article details the steps in the FYI Migrate app when you have selected Windows Explorer, HowNow or Handisoft as your current system (refer to Using the FYI Migrate App to Sync your Data).
Note: If your folders include groups or any other complexities or major inconsistencies, please ensure you understand the document import process before syncing your documents.
This video walks through the process outlined below to quickly sync your document folders for Windows Explorer.
Select your Folder(s) to Migrate
- When prompted to select your folder(s), click Add Folder.
- Select the Folder(s) from Windows Explore that you want to sync.
Note: You can add multiple folders.
- Ensure the box is ticked for "Include folder name on export".
For details of what is created, refer to Implementors: Live Import.
If you are syncing both client files and other internal files (such as an "Admin" or "HR" folder), then it is important to Include folder name on export so that its easier to import your client documents, separate to your Admin and HR files further down the track.
If we had only selected:
Then we would still recommend selecting "Include folder name on export"
If the folder(s) selected were at a higher level, and did not provide context to the type of documents, for example:
C:\Data\Documents\Data (which contained 'Clients' 'Admin' and 'HR')
Then we do not need to select "Include folder name on export"
The following is an example of the folders selected for HowNow.
Once you are comfortable with your selection, click Done.
To begin syncing your documents with FYI simply select Start.
If you want to double-check your selection before selecting Start, you can click on Restart Wizard and it will return you to the first step in the process (but will remember what you have entered).
Once the Sync is Underway
- Before beginning the sync, the application will check the selected directories for the number of documents
The "UPLOAD STATUS" will advise what the application is doing while you wait for the sync to begin.
- Once the first sync is complete, the app will return to the top and look for any new/edited documents and sync them also. The "Skipped" documents are those which the system found had no changes since they were initially synced. This process repeats until either the app is closed or the sync is stopped.
Introduction to Live Import
When the syncing begins, your documents will LIVE IMPORT into FYI. Refer also to Implementors: Live Import.
- FYI will place the documents into Cabinets, that it automatically creates based on head folders selected above.
- FYI will also automatically create Categories (for example, Clients - Level 1), which will contain the sub-folder detail from the head folder above.
- FYI will look to match Client Names and Client Codes with Xero Practice Manager where possible.
- FYI will also look to assign the Year where possible.
Note: It is acceptable if Client Names, Years etc. do not appear to come into FYI perfectly during the Live Import. This could be, for example, if the Client Name was spelt slightly differently, or the Client Code is not in Xero Practice Manager. These issues can be resolved following the completion of the migration process. FYI will provide instructions.
Note: The year must be in format “20XX” (for example, 2019, 2020) for it to match. Any other year formats, such as, “FY20” or “2019-20”will not match automatically.
How documents behave inside of FYI during the LIVE IMPORT
- If a document appears in FYI, it can be selected, edited, refiled etc.
- If FYI identifies a new version of the document, from your historical document store, FYI will version that on top of any edits made inside of FYI.
Note: We suggest your users are careful editing documents that are still live importing. However, if you refile a document and then a new version is uploaded, the refiling will remain in effect, that is, if you refiled the document from "Pre FYI cabinet" to the required "cabinet", editing the document does not return the document to the "Pre FYI cabinet".
Once your data sync is complete, liaise with your Client Success Manager who will arrange refiling in consultation with you.