The Refile function updates the FYI filing details of multiple documents. This feature is restricted to FYI Implementors.
This can be used:
- At any time if you ever need to adjust the filing structure of your documents in FYI, for example, to move existing FYI documents from one cabinet to another or from one category to another. This can also be used, for example, to move documents if you need to delete a cabinet or category.
- After migration, the Refile can also be used to create unmatched clients that have been imported from folder-based systems (see Creating Unmatched Clients after Migration below).
Note: Documents deleted from Refiling are permanently deleted and cannot be restored
This process can be considered a more powerful alternative to the Bulk Update function (refer to Bulk Update of Filing Details).
Refiling requests are only processed overnight from 6 pm - 6 am (depending on your location). Any processes that are still running at 6 am will be completed; all others will be delayed until 6 pm.
Running the Refile
- Login to FYI with an FYI Implementor user account.
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice Settings and then select Documents.
- Go to the Refile tab.
- Select the Cabinet under which the documents are currently filed.
The Select Criteria panel displays all the categories that are applicable to the selected cabinet. Categories are added or removed in the Practice Settings (refer to Managing Cabinets).
The Refile panel displays all the categories set up for your practice.
- In the Select criteria panel, click to select the categories to refile. The number of documents that match the criteria is displayed at the bottom of the panel. Click to select the categories.
You can search for categories by typing the text that displays anywhere in the categories. To search for additional categories, separate these with a comma. You can also copy and paste comma-separated values directly into the filter to select the categories.
Click the tool at the right of the Filter to select Clear the filter, Select to select all the displayed values or Deselect the selected values.
- In the Refile panel select how you want the documents to be refiled.
In the following example, any documents in the Year "2010" or "2011" with be refiled under the Year "Pre 2012".
In the following example, selections have been made for both the Year and Admin Type so only documents with the Year set as "2019" or "2020" with the Work Type of "Correspondence" will be selected. These will be refiled under the Work Type "General Correspondence".
If you need to set the documents in the selected criteria to be filed without a client selected, you can click Clear Client to enable this. When the documents are refiled, they are filed as "No Client".
If you need to clear the category, such as Year, from the documents in the selected criteria, you can select the option Clear Selection at the bottom of the Categories drop-down list. When the documents are refiled, the selected category will be blank.
- Click Run Refile.
- A Confirm Refile pop-up displays your selections. Click Yes.
The Refile is processed and selections are cleared so you can set the criteria for another Refile.
Reminder: Refiling processes are only performed overnight from 6 pm - 6 am (depending on your location). Any processes that are still running at 6 am will be completed; all others will be delayed until 6 pm.
Displaying and Using the Results of Previous Refiles
At the bottom of the screen, the Results show the refiles that have been run previously.
Click Results at the top of the panel to expand it and display the past Refiles. The green tick shows when a refile has been completed. You can use this to check what you have already done.
From the Results, you can also click Replay Refile to load the same settings for Cabinet and Categories as a previously run Refile. This is useful if you want to repeat a refile that you have done before for any new documents that meet the selected criteria and you use the same Refile options as before or make changes to these. Replay Refile is only enabled if a refiling has been completed and is not pending or in progress.
If a Refile has been cancelled, it displays in the Results with a cancelled icon (a circle with a line through it). Cancelled refiles cannot be replayed.
Creating Unmatched Clients after Migration
After migration, the Refile can also be used to create unmatched clients that have been imported from folder-based systems. For details, refer to Creating and Resolving Unmatched Clients (Folder-Based Systems) in Implementors: Live Import.
This then allows you to resolve these clients using the Resolve Clients button on the Clients list so you can identify unmatched clients and merge or match unmatched clients with active clients. Refer to Resolving Unmatched Clients.
Unmatched clients can also be matched to active clients using the Unmatched Client Import. Refer to Unmatched Client Import.