The Refile function allows an FYI administrator to update the FYI filing details of multiple documents.
This can be used:
- At any time if you ever need to adjust the filing structure of your documents in FYI, for example, to move existing FYI documents from one cabinet to another or from one category to another. This can also be used, for example, to move documents if you need to delete a cabinet or category.
This process can be considered a more powerful alternative to the Bulk Update function which limits refiling to documents to a specified list. Bulk Update can be used on up to 100 documents at a time, whereas Refile can be used to update anywhere from 1-10,000+ documents at a time.
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice Settings and then select Documents.
- Go to the Refile tab.
- Select the Cabinet under which the documents are currently filed.
The Select Criteria panel displays all the categories that are application to the selected cabinet. Categories are added or removed in the Practice Settings (refer to Managing Cabinets).
The Refile panel displays all the categories that have been set up for your practice.
- In the Select criteria panel. click to select the categories to refile. The number of documents that match the criteria displays at the bottom of the panel. You can use the Filter to type in the starting characters of the categories values to display. Click the tool at the right of the Filter to Clear the filter, Select all the displayed values or Deselect the selected values.
- In the Refile panel select how you want the documents to be refiled.
In the following example, any documents in the Year "2010" or "2011" with be refiled under the Year "Pre 2012".
In the following example, selections have been made for both the Year and Admin Type so only documents with the Year set as "2019" or "2020" with the Work Type of "Correspondence" will be selected. These will be refiled under the Work Type "General Correspondence".
- Click Run Refile.
The Refile is processed and selections are cleared so you can set the criteria for another Refile.
At the bottom of the screen, the Results show the refiles that have been run previously.
Click Results in the top of panel to expand it and display the past Refiles. The green tick shows when a refile has completed. You can use this to check what you have already done.
From the Results, you can also click Load Refile to load the same settings for Cabinet and Categories as a previously run Refile. This is useful if you want to repeat a refile that you have done before for any new documents that meet the selected criteria and you use the same Refile options as before or make changes to these.