If you find that you cannot edit or delete a document, it could be one of the following reasons:
- Document is Locked
- Cabinet is marked as a Knowledge Cabinet
- Document is a Legacy Document
Document is Locked
You cannot edit or delete a document if it has been locked for one of the following reasons:
- It has been approved or complete in Workflow, or it has been sent to the client for signature or is signed by the client. It shows with the Locked icon.
- It is currently being edited by a user and is currently locked. It shows with the editing icon.
- It is in Co-edit and shows with the Co-edit icon.
- An email cannot be deleted if It has been approved or complete in Workflow. It shows with the Locked icon.
When selecting a locked document in a list, the Edit and the Delete buttons are not included in the Tool Bar, or in the tool bar pop-up menu when you right-click on an email or document (refer to Using the Document Action Tool Bar).
You can display the drawer and see the filing details and you can also use other options in the Tool Bar, such as Read.
When selecting multiple documents, if any one of these cannot be edited or deleted, the Edit and the Delete button will not display.
Note: Any outgoing emails that have been sent, and incoming emails, also cannot be edited.
Email or Document has been set as Approved or Completed in the Workflow
When an email or document has the Workflow Status of "Approved" or "Completed", it is the final version and cannot be edited. If needed, the person assigned as the Approver can change the Status back to a lower level so that it is editable again. Refer to Workflow Basics.
Document is being edited by another user
When a document is being edited by another user, it is locked. It cannot be edited by more than one person at any one time. It shows in the lists with the Document being edited icon. You can hover the mouse over the icon to display the name of the person who is editing it, contact that person and have them finish editing it. Then it can be edited by any user.
Refer to Opening, Editing and Finish Editing Documents which also includes information on how to finish editing and Stop Editing.
If needed, an FYI Admin can use the Stop Editing function on behalf of the person who has the document locked. Refer to FYI Admin Check in of Locked Documents.
Sent to the client for signature
If the record has been sent out for signature using DocuSign, Adobe Sign, Annature or FuseSign it can not be altered. In the Workflow section of the filing details, the Status shows as "Pending Client Signature". When the document is signed by the client and returned to FYI, the Status shows as "Client Signed" and also cannot be edited. Refer to Digital Signatures using DocuSign, Digital Signatures using Adobe Sign, Digital Signatures using Annature and Digital Signatures using FuseSign.
Document is in Co-edit
When a document is in Co-edit, you cannot delete it.
The Co-edit button displays instead of the Edit button and it cannot be edited exclusively by a user. Refer to Finish Co-editing in Co-editing an Internal Document.
Cabinet is marked as a Knowledge Cabinet
If you can see documents that are filed under the Cabinet and you can select it as a filter in the Cabinet column and in the Filter Drawer, but you cannot file documents under that Cabinet, this indicates that:
- Your User Group has been given access to the Cabinet, but it has been marked as a Knowledge Cabinet and your User Group does not have Permissions enabled for Knowledge. You can therefore see the documents but cannot file any against that Cabinet.
As relevant, an FYI Admin will need to:
- Edit the User Group you belong so that Permissions are enabled for Knowledge.
- Edit your User details and change the User Group you are assigned to one that has access to the Cabinet and has Permissions to Knowledge enabled.
- Remove the Enable Knowledge setting on the Cabinet.
Document is a Legacy Document
'Legacy documents' (that is, from old versions of Office such as .doc or .xls) cannot be Co-edited. Export the file, save it as the latest Office version (.docx, .xlsx), import it to FYI and you will then be able to Co-edit it. Refer to How can I work with old (legacy) Microsoft files such as .xls and .doc?.
If none of the above solves the issue, please contact the FYI Support Team at email@example.com.