When sending documents to your clients via OneDrive, the client receives an email which includes a secure link to each of the documents that were sent. The client clicks on the link to access the document. Refer to Sending Documents via OneDrive - Share.
This article explains what to do if there is an issue where the OneDrive secure link to attachments sent to the client in the email is inactive or unclickable.
There three possible reasons why the secure links created by FYI are inactive:
- Collaborate within FYI Automation hasn't been configured
- In OneDrive Administration, External Sharing is turned "OFF"
- The recipient is already a named user or guest in Office 365
1. Collaborate within FYI Automation hasn't been configured
The prerequisite for sharing documents securely with clients from within FYI is to configure Collaborate. Refer to Map your Collaborate Filing Structure.
2. External Sharing is set on the Office 365 account for your practice as it is your practice sharing the document with your client.
This needs to be done by an Office 365 administrator.
Go to Office 365 Account for Administrator.
Open OneDrive, Administration, Sharing
For the setting external sharing, set this as "ON"
- External reference enabling sharing with external users in Office 365
3. The email address must not be a licensed user or guest in Office 365
Creating a secure link to share a document via FYI Collaborate will not work for existing users within a practice's Office 365 account including:
- licensed users
- guest users
What this means is you can not use or even test Collaborate with a licensed or guest user of Office 365 within your practice, instead use a test email address from Gmail or other external email providers.
Also if you have already shared documents with an email address using the native OneDrive/Sharepoint features, any guest user account will have to be removed before using FYI Collaborate with that address.
Removing these guest accounts is done by:
- Opening guest user list within Office 365 from this link.
- Select the guest)s) that you want to delete
- Then select Delete from the top menu