This article relates to the Filter Drawer function in Jobs and Tasks lists and when New Lists - Beta are not enabled.
For information on Sorting and Filtering with New Lists, refer to:
- Sorting and Filtering Clients List with New Lists
- Sorting and Filtering Documents Lists with New Lists
- New Lists - Sorting and Filtering - Beta
In Tasks and Jobs lists you can use the Filter Drawer to easily apply filters to any of the columns that are available in the list, providing the column can have a filter applied. This allows you to filter on columns even if the view does not already show them.
The Filter Drawer can be used as an alternative to, or in combination with, selecting filters from the column headings in a list (refer to Sorting and Filtering).
When selections are made from the Filter Drawer, the lists and the filters in the columns are updated automatically as you make your selections.
This article contains the following sections:
- Expanding and Collapsing the Filter Drawer
- Sticky Open and Close of the Filter Drawer
- Initial Selections in the Filter Drawer
- Adding Filters in the Filter Drawer
- Applied Filters
- Using the Documents List when the Filter Drawer is Open
- Changing Filters in the Filter Drawer
- Selecting Cabinets in the Applied Filters
- Cabinet Explorer
- Cabinet and Categories in the Filter Drawer where the View is Already Filtered on these
- Resetting the Filters
Expanding and Collapsing the Filter Drawer
Expanding the Filter Drawer
The Filter Drawer is displayed in the Documents, Clients, Tasks and Jobs lists by clicking the Expand Filter Drawer button (to the left of the View button).
Or, when an item is selected, on the left-hand side of the tool bar.
The Filter Drawer displays on the left-hand side.
Click on Applied Filters to display any filters that have been applied.
Collapsing the Filter Drawer
To close the Filter Drawer, and leave any filters as selected, click Close at the bottom of the Filter Drawer.
Click the Collapse Filter Drawer.
Sticky Open (Expanded) and Close (Collapsed) of the Filter Drawer
Whether the Filter Drawer is shown as open (expanded) or closed (collapsed) is "sticky" within each type of list. If you leave the Filter Drawer open on a list and move to a different page, returning to that type of list will show the Filter Drawer as open. Or if you leave the Filter Drawer closed on a list, returning to that type of list will show it as closed.
For example, opening the Filter Drawer on a Jobs list and then displaying a different list, re-displaying the Jobs list re-displays the Filter Drawer as expanded.
Initial Selections in the Filter Drawer
Any selections in the Filter Drawer are initially applied using any filters that have been selected for any columns in the current list. These are the filters set in the selected View as well as any other filters that have been set in specific columns.
The following is an example of the Filter Drawer for a Tasks list where Filters have been applied for the Status column.
Adding Filters in the Filter Drawer
From the Filter Drawer, to add or change the filters that you want to apply.
- For Tasks and Jobs lists you use the selections for the Applied Filters.
When you add or change any filters, the list updates automatically to reflect what you have filtered on.
Applied Filters allows you add or change filters for any of the columns that are available in the list and that can have a filter applied.
Adding a Filter
- If needed, expand the Applied Filters by clicking on the heading.
- Click the drop-list for Add Filter.
- The drop-down list shows all the available columns for the list on which filters can be selected. They are shown in alphabetic order.
- Selecting a Filter displays the Add/Remove ... pop-up for you to select one or more items that you want to filter on. In this example, you select one or more Client Names. The Add/Remove ... is used in the same as when selecting filters from the column headings. You can use the Search functions as needed and click to select the required items and mark them with the green tick icon.
- Click OK.
The selected filter(s) display in the Filter Drawer.
The list updates automatically to reflect the filter selected.
Adding Additional Filters
- Click the drop-down for Add Filter
The list of available filters excludes any filters that have already been selected.
- Select the filters in the same way from the Add/Remove ....
The list updates automatically to reflect the filters selected.
Using the Documents List when the Filter Drawer is Open
While the Filter Drawer is open, you can use the list in the usual way. You can Search, or select a document and open the drawer for the document, or select one or more documents and use the buttons in the tool bar as usual.
Note: When the Filter Drawer is open and a Job or Task is selected in the list, the tools in the tool bar display without the full description. You can hover over a button to show the tool tip.
Changing Filters from the Columns Headings in the List
You can change any of the filters using the columns headings in the list by clicking on the heading. Any changes to filter made using the column headings are automatically reflected in the Filter Drawer.
Changing Filters in the Filter Drawer
To change any selections for the Applied Filters:
- Click on the link in the Applied Filters to redisplay the Add/Remove ... pop-up.
- Click the green tick icon to remove a selection and include any other filters as required.
To clear all the selections for that filter, click the Clear link at the bottom of the Add/Remove ... pop-up.
- Click OK.
The list updates automatically to reflect your selection.