The Drawer provides a view of all the information, functions and features that are available for that email or document in FYI.
For a recorded introduction to The Drawer, watch our 4-minute tutorial below:
The information available from the Drawer will depend on the type of document, email or interaction.
This is where you can:
- Change the Name of the email or document
- Update Filing information
- Preview the email or document
- Mark an email or document as Starred for easy access
- Add Comments for your team
- Add Tasks related to the email or document
- Display recent Activity relating to the email or document
- Access Recent emails and documents
- Add Time Sheet information
- Upload a file as an attachment
For emails, you can also:
- View the Email Thread.
- Display email addresses for People associated with the email
And for documents you can:
- Access previous Versions of the document
- Insert a Document Link
- Initiate a Workflow
The Name displays at the top of the drawer. This identifies the email or document internally and is the name that displays in the lists in FYI.
To change the Name, click the Name field, make the change and click the Tick icon to save the change (or click the X icon to not save the change).
The Filing section of the Drawer displays the following information for the selected email or document:
You can add or change the following information to re-file it in FYI.
- Client – To search for a different Client, type at least three characters of the Client’s name to display all clients containing those characters anywhere in the Client Name. Then click to select the one required.
- Cabinet– select from the Cabinets set up for your practice. For example, Client Files, Correspondence etc
- Work Type – optionally select from the Work Types set up for your practice. For example, Tax, Audit, Administration
- Year – optionally select the Year
- Job - If Jobs are enabled for the selected Cabinet, this may indicate a Xero Practice Manager Job for the client. Refer to Jobs.
- Tags and Keywords- If the selected Cabinet has been enabled for this feature, you can create or select Tags and/or enter one or more Keywords to use when searching for the email or document. Refer to Tags and Keywords.
Refer to Updating Filing Details of a Document.
If the email is part of a thread, these documents display in the Thread section. Refer to Managing Email Threads.
You can display a snapshot of the contents of an email or document by clicking the Preview tab on the side of the Drawer. This can be used for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and also for a PDF or an image such as a .jpg or bitmap. Refer to Previewing a Document and Previewing an Email
Comments can be added to an email by any team member. These can be used to add any notes and also allow team members to collaborate on an email. Refer to Adding Comments and Notifying Team Members
If any tasks have been created, they are listed in the Tasks section. You can add a new task from this section. Refer to Working with Tasks
The Workflow functions in FYI allow documents to be managed through their life-cycle.
You can add or change the following information from the Drawer:
- Status – Select from “in progress”, “changes requested” or “waiting info” to “completed” or “pending approval” to indicate the progress of the document through the workflow. The Status controls which users can review and edit the document, and if relevant, whether the document needs to be approved.
- Approver – Select the user who will approve the document.
- Owner – Defaults to your name and can be changed if necessary by selecting a different FYI user.
Note - When an email is filed into FYI, the Workflow status is automatically set to "Approved".
Refer to the section Workflow.
Activity is an automatic log of all major events that have occurred on any given email or document including when it was created, any modifications, delete, edits, etc.
The Activity includes the date and time of the activity and the name of the user who completed it.
This displays the email addresses of People included in the From: To: and Cc: of the email. Note that is for emails included in FYI since 6 September 2019.
Recent Documents in the Drawer is a list of the most recent documents created for the client.
For Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, a history is kept of all major events on a document. If you want to update a document, but wish to retain a prior version, select Open as new version. Any subsequent updates will only be made to the new version. You can always go back to a prior version at any time.
Using the tools at the top of the Drawer
In the tools at the top of the Drawer are the Add Task, Add Time and Starred Icons.
Click the Add Task icon to add a new Task for the selected email. Refer to Working with Tasks.
Click the Add Time icon to add Time Sheet information. Refer to Time Sheets.
You can mark a document as Starred, or Unstarred with the Starred icon in the Drawer. This allows you to mark specific documents that you personally want to be able to access easily. Refer to Marking and Displaying Starred Documents.
Inserting a Document Link
When editing a Word or Excel document from FYI, you can use the Insert a Document Link button in the FYI Drawer to search for FYI documents, copy one of these as a link and insert the link to the FYI document into the Word or Excel document that you are editing. Refer to Inserting a Document Link