There are two ways to link to a Word or Excel document in FYI.
- Using the Doc Link tool.
- Using the Insert a Document Link icon in an opened document.
You can also copy a link to an Email, using the Doc Link tool.
Using the Doc Link Tool
Doc Link tool creates a hyperlink to the selected document within FYI. The link is copied to your clipboard and can be pasted inside or outside of FYI.
A Doc Link can be used in emails to other internal users, as a reference to the document ensuring they access the most recent version. When a user is directed to a document via a Doc Link, this opens the Clients - Documents with the relevant document selected and the drawer open.
Copying the Doc Link as Preview or Open
As a default, the Doc Link is copied so it will be opened as a Preview. From the Preview, a user can then select to Edit it. If you want the Word or Excel document to automatically open when clicked, you can copy the Doc Link as "Open".
- Select a Word or Excel document in a list.
- For Word, click the Doc Link tool. Or right-click and select Doc Link from the tool bar pop-up menu (refer to Tool Bar and Right-Click Functions).
To copy the Doc Link to the Word or Excel document so that, when the link is clicked it opens for editing, select Open from the drop-down next to the Doc Link button. It is opened using the user's default setting for either via Microsoft Online or Microsoft desktop.
If you will be pasting the link into an Excel spreadsheet, click the down arrow next to the Doc Link tool and select Excel.
- The link is copied to your clipboard.
- Paste the link as required, for example to a email or to another document.
From the Preview pane in the drawer of the selected email or document, you can also use the Doc Link tool in the same way.
For a video walkthrough that includes this feature, refer to Document Action Bar and Starred Documents (6 min).
Inserting a Doc Link from Word or Excel
When editing a Word or Excel document from FYI, you can use the Insert a Document Link button in the FYI Drawer to search for FYI documents, copy one of these as a link and insert the link to the FYI document into the Word or Excel document that you are editing.
- Click Insert a Document Link button in the header of the drawer.
- The Document Search displays. The recently opened documents for the selected client display at the bottom. You can click one of the recent documents to insert the link for it.
- Or use the Document Search options to find the document for which you want to copy the link. The documents found by the search display at the bottom of the drawer.
- Click the required FYI document to select it as the link.
- This copies a hyperlink to that FYI document into the Word or Excel document with the FYI name of the document.
Opening a Doc Link
To open the Doc Link, in Word or Excel, Ctrl+Click on the link.
This opens a new window in your browser with the FYI document opened in Preview.
- A Doc Link always opens the highest version of the document.
- If the document is not currently being edited by a user and is not in Co-edit, the Doc Link opens in edit mode. When it is closed, it will then need to be checked back into FYI by clicking I am finished editing.
- If the document is in Co-edit, the Doc Link opens it in Co-edit.
- If the document is being edited by a user, the Doc Link will not open and the following message displays. You can close the message and view the document using the the document drawer.
Popup Blocker when Opening the Doc Link
When opening the Doc Link via Microsoft Online, if you may get a message that a popup blocker has stopped opening the document.
Click OK and then display the Popup blocker at the top of the screen. Click this and select Always allow pop-ups and redirects from app.fyidocs.com", then click Done.