Optimising FYI to work with Remote Desktop can be necessary due to the security that often exists in such environments.
All of the configurations below should be done with administrator rights and according to the protocols of the Remote Desktop environment for them to apply to all users.
Office Desktop and FYI Addins
To configure or troubleshoot FYI Addins for Office Desktop for use with a Remote Desktop environment, click here.
Latest OneDrive Version
Microsoft has transitioned from the old "OneDrive For Business" to "OneDrive", therefore it is important the latest version is installed for each user. Click here for more information.
Office Trusted Location
To prevent the "Some files contain viruses that can be harmful..." warning every time users either Create or Edit Office documents on the desktop:
- Open either Word, Excel or Powerpoint on the desktop
- Select File
- Select Options
- Select Trust Center
- Select Trust Center Settings
- Select Trusted Locations
- Select Add New Location...
- Add the domain of your practices OneDrive
- An example is https://yourgrowthpartners-my.sharepoint.com/
- Where "yourgrowthpartners" is unique to your practice.
- Select "Sub folders of this location are also trusted"
- Select Okay to save
Chrome confirmation for opening external applications
Creating and editing Office documents from Chrome causes a prompt regarding trusting the link every time which is annoying for such a common workflow throughout the day.
There is a registry edit suggested for businesses by Google that suppress this warning for Office documents such as Word and Excel, detailed here
Missing Drawer Pin (Office 2016 only)
Microsoft has released an updated version of Office 2016 that supports the pin with Office Addins which is detailed here, which can be summarised as:
- Build 7668.2000 or later for users in the Current or Office Insider Channels
- Build 7900.xxxx or later for users in Deferred channels)