Let’s start by creating a new word document in FYI using practice stationery, and then opening it in Office for editing.
The following steps will show you how to:
- Use the +New button to create a letter in FYI
- Use the Drawer in FYI to apply practice Stationery
- File the letter to a Client and Cabinet
- Preview the document in FYI
Step 1 - Creating a New Word Document in FYI
You can create a new Word document and apply your practice stationery directly from within FYI.
- From FYI, click + New and select Word from the list of document types.
Note: As shown on the list, you can also simply press the shortcut key W for a new Word document without having to click the + New button.
- The Drawer displays on the right-hand side.
- Select a Client - if you are testing, you might like to file it to an internal client.
When you select the Client, additional fields display in the drawer and some may be pre-filled as relevant for the client you selected.
- Make any other selections and complete the filing details.
Select Stationery - if it has been uploaded, choose your practice letterhead from the drop-down (or leave this field empty for no letterhead).
Select a Template - if one or more have been uploaded, choose a template from the drop-down (or leave this field empty for a blank document).
Select a Cabinet.
Select any additional filing information you are prompted to enter (this will differ from cabinet to cabinet). There are also options in the filing details (such as Tags and Keywords) that are optional.
Enter a Name for the document (this will prefill if a template has been selected, but feel free to edit as required).
- Click Create to launch word and populate the document with the select stationery and/or template (where selected).
Word will be launched in the location set as your preferred (online or desktop). This can be changed in My Settings. Refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your own Login - My Settings.
- Review the document and make any changes as required.
Note: If you inserted Stationery during the creation process, Word may not show this by default. If this is the case, you can view the letterhead by selecting View - Reading View from inside Word.
- Close Word in the usual way.
For Word Online, close the Word browser tab.
For Word Desktop, click the X in the top right-hand corner, press Ctrl+F4, or select File - Close.
As your document is stored in the cloud (even if working from your desktop Word app) you do not need to save or click CTRL + S.
Once Word is closed, you need let FYI know you have finished editing the document and save any changes to FYI.
Step 2 - Saving the document in FYI
If the drawer for the document is no longer displayed in FYI, go to your Dashboard and display the My Edits tab.
Select your document from the list and the Drawer displays.
In the Drawer click "I am finished editing"FYI will sync with Office. The “Syncing with FYI” message will show for up to 30 seconds until your changes have been saved in FYI.
This removes the document from your Dashboard - My Edits.
For more information, refer to Creating Word Documents from FYI.
Step 3 - Previewing the Document
Once you have “checked in” the document by selecting "I am Finished Editing", preview the document to see your changes.
- In FYI, go to your Dashboard and display the My Recent tab.
- Select the document you just edited to open the drawer.
If you see the “Syncing with FYI” message in the drawer, give the document 30 seconds to finish syncing.
- On the edge of the drawer, select Preview.
This displays the document without “checking it out”.
Review the document in the preview pane to ensure you changes have been reflected.