Let’s start by creating a new word document in FYI using practice stationery, and then opening it in Office for editing.
Watch this video tutorial to learn how to:
- Use the + button to create a letter in FYI
- Use the Drawer in FYI to apply practice Stationery
- File the letter to a Client and Cabinet
- Preview the document in FYI
Alternatively, you can follow the instructions outlined below.
This article contains the following sections:
- Step 1 - Creating a New Word Document in FYI
- Step 2 - Saving the document in FYI
- Step 3 - Previewing the Document
Step 1 - Creating a New Word Document in FYI
- From FYI, click the + button in the menu bar and select Word from the list of document types.
Note: As shown on the list, you can also simply press the shortcut key W for a new Word document without having to click the + button.
- The Drawer displays on the right-hand side.
It is likely there are default settings for the Cabinet and other filing details that have been applied for your practice, for your profile or for the client.
- Select a Client - if you are testing, you might like to file it to an internal client.
- Make any other selections and complete the filing details.
Select Stationery - if it has been uploaded, choose your practice letterhead from the drop-down (or leave this field empty for no letterhead).
Select a Template - if one or more have been uploaded, choose a template from the drop-down (or leave this field empty for a blank document).
The Cabinet will populate based on the Template's Filing Defaults (the AutoFile Defaults section in the Template). Review the cabinet and edit as required.
Review any additional filing information that displays (this will differ from cabinet to cabinet) and edit as required. There are also options in the filing details (such as Tags and Keywords) that are optional.
Enter a Name for the document (this will prefill if a template has been selected, but you can edit as required).
- Click Create to launch Word and populate the document with the selected stationery and/or template (where selected).
Word will be launched in the location set as your preferred (online or desktop). This can be changed in My Settings. Refer to Setting Defaults and Filing Defaults for your own Login - My Settings.
- Review the document and make any changes as required.
Note: If you inserted Stationery during the creation process, Word may not show this by default. If this is the case, you can view the letterhead by selecting View - Reading View from inside Word.
- Close Word in the usual way.
For Word Online, close the Word browser tab.
For Word Desktop, click the X in the top right-hand corner, press Ctrl+F4, or select File - Close.
As your document is stored in the cloud (even if working from your desktop Word app) you do not need to save or click Ctrl+s.
Once Word is closed, you need let FYI know you have finished editing the document and save any changes to FYI.
Step 2 - Saving the document in FYI
If the Drawer for the document is no longer displayed in FYI, go to your Home and display the My Edits tab.
The Home - My Edits list displays as follows.
Select your document from the list and the Drawer displays.
In the Drawer click "I am finished editing"FYI will sync with Office. The “Syncing with FYI” message will show for up to 30 seconds until your changes have been saved in FYI.
This removes the document from your Home - My Edits.
Step 3 - Previewing the Document
Once you have “checked in” the document by selecting "I am Finished Editing", you can preview the document to see your changes.
- In FYI, go to your Home and display the My Recent tab.
- Select the document you just edited to open the Drawer.
- On the edge of the Drawer, select Preview.
This displays the document without “checking it out”.
Review the document in the preview pane to ensure you changes have been reflected.
For more information, refer to Creating Word Documents from FYI.