FYI holds information related to all types of documents in the Drawer.
For Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents, the Drawer can be accessed from within FYI, and also from Outlook.
- Whenever you select a document in a list in FYI, this displays the Drawer on the right-hand side.
- To access the FYI Drawer from within Office, simply click on the FYI icon in your Office ribbon menu. The FYI Drawer displays on the right-hand side.
- When creating a document in FYI, you add the document and filing details in the drawer. Refer to the section Creating Documents in FYI.
The Drawer gives a focused view of all the information, functions, and features that are available for that document.
The sections and options that are included in the Drawer, and how they are used, vary depending on the type of document and whether you are creating the document or looking at an existing one. There may also be different options available depending on the selections you have made (such as once a Client or Cabinet has been selected).
Using the Drawer for a Filed Document
The following is an example of the Drawer that displays for a Word document that has been filed in FYI.
For a filed document, the drawer is where you can:
- Change the Name of the document
- Update Filing information
- View or add Tasks related to the document
- View the document Thread, if relevant
- Display recent Activity related to the document
- Access Recent Documents created for the client
- Display and access previous Versions of the document
- Display email addresses for People if the document has been emailed
- Preview the document
- Add Comments for your team
- Initiate, view or change a Workflow related to the document
- View or add Time information
- Mark a document as Starred for easy access
For an existing document, the Name displays at the top of the drawer. This identifies the document internally and is the name that displays in the lists in FYI.
To change the Name, click the Name field, make the change and click the Tick icon to save the change (or click the X icon to not save the change).
The Filing section of the Drawer displays filing information for the selected document. You can add or change this information to re-file it in FYI.
Client - For an existing document you can change the Client by typing over the existing client and selecting the new Client. Type at least three characters of the client name to display all clients containing those characters, then click to select the required client.
When creating a document in FYI (with the + New button), once the client has been selected, the fields that display depend on whether the client has a default Cabinet selected or if you have a default Cabinet selected. As relevant, if a template is selected, the categories may change depending on whether default categories have been set up for the template. Refer to Setting Defaults and AutoFile Defaults for your own Login - My Settings, Setting Filing Defaults for a Client and Creating Templates for Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
Cabinet - As relevant, select the Cabinet or change the default that has been added.
When the Client and Cabinet have been selected, further defaults display. For example, some or all of the following will display, depending on the Client and Cabinet selected.
- Job - If Jobs are enabled for the selected Cabinet, this may indicate a Xero Practice Manager Job for the client. Refer to Jobs.
- Categories - the filing Category/Categories for the document, such as Year and Work Type.
- Tags and Keywords- If the selected Cabinet has been enabled for this feature, you can create or select Tags and/or enter one or more Keywords to use as additional categorisation and to use when searching for the document. Refer to Tags and Keywords.
Other Sections in the Drawer
When opening an existing document, the rest of the information displays in sections in the drawer as detailed below.
Threads are more commonly used for emails. But the document will also be shown as part of a thread (such as a Web Link), these documents display in the Thread section. Refer to Managing Email Threads.
If any tasks have been created for that document, they are listed in the Tasks section. You can also add a new task from this section. Refer to Working with Tasks.
The Time section shows any Time that has been recorded for the document. You can add Time that relates to the document by clicking Add Time. Refer to Adding Time.
The Workflow functions in FYI allow documents to be managed through their life-cycle. Refer to the section Workflow.
The Activity section shows the automatic log of all major events that have occurred on the document including when it was created, any modifications, edits, etc. The Activity includes the date and time of the activity and the name of the user who completed it.
When a document has been auto-filed, the Activity section includes details of this and shows how any default filing settings were applied. In the following example, the document was an attachment to an email that was auto-filed. The Activity section shows that the document was sent to the In Tray and then filed.
The Recent Documents section in the Drawer is a list of the 10 most recent emails and documents created for the client. You can click on an email or document in the Recent Document section to open it.
Where a document has been edited and saved, the Versions section shows the date and time of the current and the previous versions.
From the Versions section you can read or delete an older version of the document. You can also set an older version as the current or save the document as a new version. Refer to Creating a New Document Version.
If the document has been sent out by email, or received as an attachment to an email, the People section displays the email addresses of People included in the From: To: and Cc: of the email.
For future use.
You can display a snapshot of the contents of a document by clicking the Preview tab on the side of the Drawer. Refer to Previewing a Document.
Comments can be added to a document by any team member. These can be used to add any notes and also allow team members to collaborate on a document. Refer to Adding Comments and Notifying Team Members.
Using the Tools at the Top of the Drawer
At the top of the Drawer are the tools Add Task, Add Time and Starred.
Click the Add Task icon to add a new Task for the selected document. Refer to Working with Tasks.
Click the Add Time icon to add Time information. Refer to Adding Time.
You can mark a document as Starred, or Unstarred with the Starred icon in the Drawer. This allows you to mark specific documents that you personally want to be able to access easily. Refer to Marking and Displaying Starred Documents.