Now let’s add a Task to the letter, for example, as a reminder to call the client to discuss.
The following steps will show you how to:
- Locate the Word document you created.
- Add a task from the drawer of the document.
- Change the due date and subject of the task.
- Review and complete the task.
Step 1 - Locating the document and creating a Task for it
- In FYI, go to your Home and display the My Recent tab.
- Select the document. The following is the example document created in Creating your First Letter in FYI.
- Click the Tasks section to expand it.
- Click Add Task.
Create Task displays in the drawer.
- Select or enter the task details, or change any defaults that have been given.
Task Name - Give the task a name. This is usually a brief description of the task.
Delegator - Your own name is set by default as as the delegator.
Start Date and Due Date - These are set as defaults using settings for your practice. They can be changed by clicking on the field and selecting from the calendar.
Status - By default this is set to "Not started".
Client - In this example, because the task is being created for a document, the client is automatically assigned as the client the document is filed under.
The remaining fields are optional.
Assignee - Assign the task to yourself (for the purpose of testing).
Cabinet, Job, Job Category - You can update any of the Cabinet or Job fields or leave these blank.
Details - You can add the Details if you want as free form text. Remember that as you are creating this task by attaching it to a document, you can easily display the original source document to provide context for the task, so this may not need to be covered in the Details.
- Click Create.
Refer also to Using the Task Drawer.
Step 2 - Updating the Task
- Go to your Home and display the My Tasks tab.
You can update the Due Date and Subject directly in your Home - My Tasks.
- Click the Subject field and enter or change the text.
- Click on the Due Date and use the drop-down to select "Mark for Today" or move the Due Date forward a selected number of days from today.
Step 3 - Reviewing and completing the Task
You can open the task from My Tasks.
In the Home - My Tasks, clicking the Delegator opens the drawer.
From the Task drawer, you can click Preview on the side of the drawer to view the document.
To complete the task, in the drawer select the Status as "Complete".
There are several other ways to indicate you have completed the Task.
One of these is in the Home - My Tasks by clicking the Status column on the left-hand side. Refer also to Completing a Task.