You can set up Custom Processes that use a Documents, Jobs or Client view in FYI to trigger the process. This can be a system view or you can set up your own views to use. Refer to Saving Changes to the View Layout, Modifying and Deleting Views.
When using a view to trigger a Custom Process, you can set up a Summary Notification step so that the notifications are sent out automatically as a summary.
Note: Summary Notification is only available when an FYI view is used to trigger the process.
- An example of using Document - View Filters is when there are documents "Pending Approval". You set up the Custom Process to send out a notification to each of the relevant approvers, for example every 12 hours. Depending on the users settings, this will get sent as an email with a link that the Approver can click to go directly to the Documents list automatically filtered to show only the emails/documents that are "Pending Approval" and where that user is selected as the Approver. A notification is also sent as a reminder.
- Another example of using a Document - View Filters and a Summary Notification is for the Tax Assessment process where you want to customise who gets notified. For example, if you have two offices with the different administration teams and would like the admin officer of the respective office to be notified of the Tax Assessments rather than the Partner or Manager. See below Sending Notification to other than Partner or Manager.
- An example of using the Client - View Filters is when sending out newsletters. For example, if you had Client Custom Fields of "Opt in" and "Newsletters", you can set up a Client view with the clients that have these selected. You can then select this view as the Custom Automation Client - View Filters so only those clients receive the newsletter created by the Custom Process. The Client view gives you an easy way to check the clients who will receive the newsletter before sending it.
Pending Approval Notification
The following explains how to set up a Custom Process for sending out a notification to each of the relevant approvers when there are documents "Pending Approval" .
Determine the View to Use as the Filter or Set up the View
Make sure you have the view in place to do the filter. This needs to be a view in the Documents, Clients or Jobs list. If needs be, an FYI administrator can set up a view that isolates the scenario you are looking to monitor or to send reminder notifications on. Depending on what you want the view to trigger in the process,the view can also include filters and search criteria.
In the example below, this uses the "Workflow - Pend. Approval" system view to trigger the Custom Process and as the source of the notification.
Note: If setting up a new view, when you save the view you can specify Automations only so it only appears in Custom Processes and is not included as a view in the Documents, Clients or Jobs lists. Refer to Saving Changes to the View Layout, Modifying and Deleting Views.
Set up the Custom Process
The Custom Process needs to be set up by an FYI administrator.
The following is the Custom Process set up to show the example of sending a Summary Notification for documents Pending Approval.
Select the Trigger as "Schedule". Then set this up the schedule as in the following example. This will run the process every 12 hours.
Start and End. Set the Start date and optionally the End date. These dates determine when then process is going to start and end running.
Select the interval at which you want to schedule the process to run, for example "Every 12 Hours".
Note: When setting Hours, this is within 24 hours so be mindful of how many notifications you will be sending in a day,
A filter determines what information is monitored or included in the process.
Click the edit icon to display the Filter Items.
To filter using a one of the Documents or Jobs list views, set the Filter Type as "Document - View Filters", "Job - View Filters" or "Client - View Filters". When setting up a Custom Process using a "Jobs - View Filters" or "Client - View Filters" this is set up in the same way as a "Document - View Filters" as shown in this example.
View - Select the View as you want the process to monitor or to send reminder notifications on.
For this example, it is the system view "Workflow - Pend. Approval". A View must be selected.
Run Only Once Per Document - This option determines whether or not the automation sends the notification about a document or job only once.
In the example of sending notifications of what needs to be approved, you would usually set this so Approvers are sent further emails or notifications if the document is still pending approval. This means the Approvers only have to refer to the last notification to see what they currently need to approve. So for this example, you would remove the checkmark for Run Only Once Per Document .
If you want to send a notification to approvers only once that a document needs approval (that is, when it is initially set to "Pending Approval") you would checkmark Run Only Once Per Document. In the same way, you would send notifications only once when a document has come back from digital signing, or if a Job has the Job State set to a specific value.
The Filter Type of "Client - Select Filters" does not use a view. For details of the Client filter refer to Setting up and Running Custom Processes.
Add the Step for a Summary Notification
The Step for a Summary Notification is only available when "Document" is selected as the Trigger and when an FYI view is used to trigger the process. When setting up a Custom Process trigger by a Job view, this would trigger individual notifications.
To set up the step for the Summary Notification:
- Click Add Step.
- Select FYI.
- Select Summary Notification.
- For Notify User, for this example you want to select the relative person for the approval. The selected view includes the column Document Approver, so you can select Document Approver.
Test is not relevant for a Summary Notification.
When the Summary Notification is triggered, the Approver receives a notification. Depending on the users settings, this will also get sent as an email. The notification and the email show the number of emails and documents that the Approver has pending approval. The email includes a link that the Approver can click to go directly to the Documents list automatically filtered to show only the emails/documents that are "Pending Approval" and where that user is selected as the Approver. The link in the notification displays the Documents list automatically set to the "Workflow - Pend Approval" view which can then be sorted or filtered on the Approvers name.
For examples of the notification and the email, and how the link is used, refer to Summary Notification in Reviewing and Approving Emails and Documents.
The Alter Document step is useful for Custom Processes that use a view. When using a view to retrieve a collection of documents you can then use Alter Document to update any key fields. For example, with Client Uploads, when the documents are imported the Alter Document can be used to file the documents as Workpapers. Refer to Sharing the Uploads Folder with the Client.
Sending Process Notification to other than Partner or Manager
The following explains how to set up a Custom Process for sending out a notification of a Tax Assessment automation to users other than a Partner or Manager, for example, to the administrator of one of two different offices.
- Save two document views with the filters set as a combination of:
The respective partners of each of the two offices
The Name search containing the relevant words such as "Tax Assessment"
- Within each of the Tax Assessment automations, in the create step for the Word or the Email, set the Approver to be the "Partner".
- Configure scheduled Custom Process automations with the filter based on each of the document views.
- Within each of these Custom Process automations enable a step "Summary Notification" which is directed to the appropriate administrator for each office.