The FYI Add-ins can have issues (especially for the initial setup) integrating with the Microsoft desktop applications of Word, Excel and Outlook. The typical symptom is where users are unable to log in to FYI Add-ins in desktop Outlook or Office, whereas the FYI Add-in is enabled and works with online Outlook and Office for the same user.
This article relates to:
- If you are having an issue with the FYI Office or Outlook Add-in on your desktop computer.
- This article covers scenarios such as Error "Trouble Loading FYI" (refer below to Error "Trouble Loading FYI").
If the FYI Add-in has been working but is now not loading and displays a blank drawer, refer below to FYI Add-in for Office or Outlook no longer loading.
If the FYI Add-in for the desktop version of Office/Outlook is running slow, refer below to FYI Add-in is running slow for the Desktop version of Office or Outlook.
- If your issue is specifically related to the error, refer to the FAQ Error "This add-in could not be started. Close this dialog to ignore the problem or click “Restart” to try again.."
- If you are configuring the FYI Add-ins in a large practice, refer to Issues Configuring FYI for Enterprise Practices.
- If you are running a Remote Desktop or a Terminal Server, refer to FYI Add-in for Office or Outlook not loading or failing to login - Remote Desktop or Terminal Server.
Areas to Check
This article covers the following areas which could be causing an issue and details what needs to be checked for each in turn.
- Step 1 - Check Minimum Requirements and check Outlook and Office Updates are installed
- Step 2 - Check your User Status in FYI
- Step 3 - Check FYI's Integration using Office Online
- Step 4 - Check FYI's Integration using Office Desktop
- Step 5 - Virus Protection
Test for resolution
After each step, do the following to test for resolution.
- Open Outlook desktop
- Log in to FYI from the FYI Drawer
- Repeat for an Office desktop application
Step 1 - Check Minimum Requirements and check Outlook and Office Updates are installed
- Always make sure you are using the correct version of Microsoft 365.
- Always make sure that you have the latest Outlook and Office updates installed. This may be an issue if you have auto-updates of Office turned off.
Refer to Prerequisites for using FYI in your Practice and Supported Environments.
Step 2 - Check your User Status in FYI
The first step is to check your Status in FYI to make sure there are no known issues with your environment.
- Open a browser to check the user's FYI Status from this link: https://app.fyidocs.com/user-health (refer to Individual Settings and Status).
If there are any items showing in the Status tab that show with a red tick or exclamation then:
- If Microsoft 365 shows as "Not Connected", then logout and log back in again to FYI.
- If Microsoft 365 is showing the incorrect email, log out of Microsoft 365, close the browser and then log back in again.
- If needed use separate browser profiles. This is useful if you use more than one Microsoft 365 login (for example, one for business and one for personal). If you use Chrome, you can set up separate Chrome Profiles to easily access a separate Microsoft 365 account. Refer to How can I login to multiple FYI accounts?
- If OneDrive does not show as "Business", then follow this Microsoft article regarding disconnecting two accounts using the same email address.
- If Outlook FYI Drafts shows as "Missing", then please contact the FYI Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All items in the Status tab should have green ticks or green exclamation marks.
Check for any messages that are being displayed (refer also to Preparing your Browser for FYI).
- If Pop-up blockers display, follow the instructions to allow these.
- If Permissions are needed, ensure these are accepted.
Step 3 - Check FYI's Integration using Office Online
To check that FYI is correctly integrated with Office online, check you can use the online version of Office from FYI.
- From FYI, in a documents list, edit document in Office online, for example a Word document using Word online (refer to Opening a Word, Excel or PowerPoint Document in Opening, Editing and Finish Editing Documents).
- If you cannot edit using Office online from FYI, refer to Adding FYI Add-ins as a User from within Office and Outlook.
An alternative way to check this is as following
- Open https://office.com
- Navigate to Word.
- Open a new Word document.
- Check if the FYI add-in appears in the top right menu
- If FYI doesn't appear use the following:
(refer also to Adding FYI Add-ins as a User from within Office and Outlook).
a) Use the Insert menu and select Add-ins
b) Either select FYI or search for FYI
c) Add via the button in the bottom right corner
- Login to the FYI drawer.
Step 4 - Check FYI's Integration using Office Desktop
- Check the version of Office that is installed on the desktop. If it is an older version (2016 or before) then where possible (users may be restricted when working within a remote desktop environment), the latest version should be installed with automatic updates applied.
- Ensure all Microsoft Office desktop applications are closed including Outlook.
- Open Word and check the correct user is logged in the top right-hand corner of Word.
- If not the same user account of FYI, then click the name that displays and use the Word options to login with the correct user.
- Create a new document using the standard Word features.
- From the Home tab in the ribbon menu and check for the FYI Add-in.
If you do not see the FYI Add-in, then add from Insert - Get Add-ins on the Word ribbon menu. Refer to Adding FYI Add-ins as a User from within Office and Outlook.
- Click the FYI Add-in to open the FYI Drawer and click on the login button.
- If a message displays "Login successful, please close this popup" then use the X in the top right-hand corner of the message window.
If you were able to login successfully, then follow similar steps for Outlook desktop:
- Outlook on the desktop and open the FYI Add-in
- Check you can log in successfully within Outlook
Step 5 - Virus Protection
If virus or firewall protections exist that are beyond the standard Microsoft utilities
- Temporarily disable the 3rd party virus protection (for the current user)
Note: If disabling the virus protection solved the issue, please contact the FYI support team at email@example.com for assistance with configuring the protection without compromising the overall security of the practice.
Contact FYI Support
If the issue is still not resolved, please contact the FYI Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Error "Trouble Loading FYI"
If the error message relates to "Trouble Loading FYI. Check your internet connection and try again."
- Check the computer has Windows 10 installed and check the Outlook version and build.
Prerequisites for running add-ins are:
The 32- or 64-bit version of Office 2013 or a later version, running on Windows 10 or a later version.
- The Add-On does not have any configuration, it is all executed by Microsoft hosted in IE11 and FYI does not have any way to set any proxy settings.
Refer to the following for additional information.
- Try running https://office.fyidocs.com from Internet Explorer 11.
- Clear local storage, cache and browser history from IE11 and then re-run FYI.
Delete Browsing History
Open your browser and delete the browsing history. For Internet Explorer 11 in Windows:
a) Open the Tools in the top right-hand corner.
b) Select Safety, then select Delete Browsing History.
c) Checkmark History and Temporary Internet files and website files
d) Click Delete.
- Run Outlook as Administrator.
Ensure ESC (Enhanced Security Configuration) is turned off for administrator and users.
- Check if the client is running a VPN. It’s possible that the VPN is blocking FYI.
Turn off the VPN and try running FYI again.
FYI Add-in for Desktop Outlook is no longer loading
If the FYI Add-in has been working but is now not loading and displays a blank drawer, follow the steps below to clear the browser cache and browser cookies.
- Open Outlook.
- Click on the FYI icon to open the drawer.
- Right-click on the blank drawer.
- Select Inspect to display the DevTools screen.
- Go to the Network tab.
- Press Ctrl+r to refresh the screen.
- Right-click anywhere on the table that displays in the Network tab screen.
- Select Clear browser cache and then click OK.
- Then right-click again anywhere on the table that displays in the Network tab screen and select Clear browser cookies and click OK.
- Close the screen.
- Close Outlook and restart Outlook.
Another possible cause is if you do not have en-us Office string.
- In the DevTools screen, go to the Sources tab.
- Expand the sections under appsforoffice.microsoft.com.
- In the section en-us, check you have office_strings.js and outlook_strings.js.
If you do not have these, please ask your IT administrator to check.
FYI Add-in is running slow for the Desktop version of Office or Outlook
If the FYI Add-in for the Desktop version of Office or Outlook is loading but is running slow, check if this is also the case when using the online version of Office/Outlook. For example, check if making selections in the drop-downs is also slow in the online version of Office/Outlook.
If the issue is only with the desktop version, contact your IT provider to troubleshoot this. Some things to consider are::
- Check if other team members are experiencing the same issue.
If they are not, check what is the difference between the setup of Office/Outlook on your computer and on a computer that is not slow.
- Check if other third-party Add-ins are running slow and if these are causing FYI to run slowly.