We have recently released an update to the way in which Templates, Word Stationery and Email Signatures are created and edited.
There is no change to the way in which users select Templates or Word Stationery when creating documents or emails or when selecting a template in a Process Automation. Users can also use the Create button in the Knowledge - Templates view to create documents and emails for a selected active template (but not from an Email Signature).
If you have already been using the FYI Templates, Word Stationery and Email Signatures, the following is a summary of the changes to the latest release and the changes to the Practice Settings to select the Default Email Signature for your practice.
Templates, Word Stationery and Email Signatures
- Templates, Word Stationery and Email Signatures are now created from the Knowledge - Templates list (not from Practice Settings).
- Word Stationery and Email Signatures are created in the same way as Templates but with the addition of checkmarking the Stationery or Signature indicator to mark them as Stationery or Signature.
- Word, Spreadsheet and Presentation templates are created and edited in the same way as documents in FYI. They use the drawer and can be edited in the online or desktop version of the relevant Office application.
- To create Word, Spreadsheet, Presentation and PDF Templates, you can also drag and drop existing documents onto the Knowledge - Templates list to import these and then edit the contents directly from FYI.
- Where you have an existing Word, Excel or PowerPoint file (as .docx, .xlsx or pptx) you can create the Word, Spreadsheet or Presentation template and then upload the file in the Upload section of the drawer.
- Email Templates are created and edited in a similar way to emails in FYI and the contents can be edited using the FYI Editor. The available Merge Fields are shown in the Email Editor and can be included in the email Template or Signature contents directly from the Editor.
- Templates, Stationery and Signatures themselves hold filing details to organise and categorise them in the Knowledge - Templates list. They are all held in a new Templates Cabinet as the top level of the filing.
- Templates can optionally hold AutoFile Defaults for the Cabinet and Categories that will be set when the email or document is created with that template selected, providing the user has access to the relevant Cabinet. The AutoFile Defaults Cabinet and Categories from the selected Template will override the client or user defaults for filing. These are optional and can be left blank in a Template. You can also select, for example, just the Cabinet so that any categories are selected as relevant for the email or document that is created. When the email or document is created, the AutoFile Defaults Cabinet and Category from the Template can be changed if the user wants to.
- The Default Email Signature is no longer indicated in the Email Signature itself. The Email signature you want to use is selected in the Default Email Signature in Practice Settings - Admin - Settings.
Refer below to Select the Email Signature to use as the Default for your Practice.
If any users use a different Email Signature, this is still set up in their User Profile. If this has already been set up, and providing the name of the additional Email Signature is the same, this does not need to be updated in the User Profiles.
Templates Cabinet and Categories
- A new Cabinet called Templates is automatically added to your practice's Cabinets. All users will have access to the Templates Cabinet but it is only available when creating and editing Templates.
Note: The Templates Cabinet cannot be removed.
- You can add Categories to the Templates Cabinet to further categorise the Templates, Stationery and Signatures. For example, you could add a Category such as "Team" (to indicate who would use them) and the Category "Work Type" (to indicate when they would be used).
- In Categories, the option Available in Templates in Categories is no longer relevant and is not shown.
Using the Knowledge - Templates List
The Knowledge - Templates list displays the Templates, Word Stationery and Email Signatures that have been set up for your practice.
Refer to Using the Knowledge Templates List.
Conversion of existing Templates, Stationery and Signatures
For existing installations, all your Templates, Stationery and Signatures will be converted for you by FYI. Any Template or Word Stationery that has been added to your Process Automations will remain the same. Because of this conversion, the roll-out of the latest templates will be over a period of time.
Select the Email Signature to use as the Default for your Practice
The Default Email Signature is no longer indicated in the Email Signature itself.
An FYI administrator needs to check the Practice Settings > Admin > Settings tab to ensure the relevant Email Signature is set as the Default Email Signature. This will be used for any users who do not have an alternate Signature set in their user profile. You can only select an Active Signature. Refer to Practice Settings - Admin -Settings in Practice Settings.
Setup Categories for the Templates Cabinet
An FYI administrator can add any Categories to Templates Cabinet as relevant for your practice. Refer to Managing Cabinets.
Optionally, the Filing details of the Templates, Word Stationery and Email Signatures can be added or updated in Knowledge - Templates to organise and categorise them in this view.