Our practice has an Xero Practice Manager account and an FYI account and is becoming a franchise. I am currently one of practice team. I am a current user of practice's Xero Proactice Manager and the practice's FYI. I am now a franchisee and want to set up my own FYI account.
I currently log in to Xero Practice Manager with the same email address to access both sets of clients (using the Xero Practice Manager option that allows a user to connect one Xero account to multiple Xero Practice Managers).
I want to be able to do the following:
- Ideally, access both Xero Practice Manager accounts with the same email address (for example, email@example.com)
- Access one FYI account with the email address I use for Xero Practice manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Create another FYI account with a separate email address (NEWmyname@xyz.com).
- Access both FYI accounts using the FYI alias function.
You cannot use an alias in FYI to log in to a separate instance of FYI. As the original email is linking to the first Xero Practice Manager account, we cannot then create a secondary instance using this same connection.
If you have connected the two email address via an alias using the Magic Link, you will not be able to create a new trial of FYI and connect to the Xero Practice Manager as the original email would have been replaced by the alias on the first instance of Xero Practice Manager.
There are two possible solutions:
Solution 1 - Make the change in Xero Practice Manager to separate the accounts
- In Xero Practice Manager, remove the second email address from one of the Xero Practice Manager accounts (NEWmyname@xyz.com).
- You will need to wait for that change to sync across to FYI (overnight or this can be done manually by an FYI administrator).
- Deactivate that user in FYI (refer to Managing Users).
- Create the new user in Xero Practice Manager and link it only to the relevant Xero Practice Manager account (NEWmyname@xyz.com)
- Wait for this to sync to FYI.
The two Xero Practice Manager accounts are now completely separate client lists. You can then set up the trial account for FYI with the new email address (NEWmyname@xyz.com). You can access the other Xero Practice Manager account and FYI account using the oringal email address (email@example.com).
Solution 2 - Make the change in Xero Practice Manager to separate the accounts
- Add a new FYI user to the existing FYI account using the new email address (NEWmyname@xyz.com)
- Deactivate the original user (firstname.lastname@example.org) from the first FYI account.
Important Note: This requires FYI’s development team to remove the account altogether. Please contact the FYI Support Team at email@example.com.
- Generate the new FYI trial using the original email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Important Note: This needs to be done soon after the step 2 above, before FYI and Xero Practice Manager sync the users again.
Issues and downsides to Solution 2
Because the new email (NEWmyname@xyz.com) is not assigned as a user in either of the two Xero Practice Manager accounts, there are no jobs etc assigned to this person so names will not flow through from XPM jobs etc. When you login to FYI using that account, you will not see “My Jobs” and your user name will not align with the Xero Practice Manager data.
Assuming step 3 above has been performed to generate the new FYI trial, when FYI next syncs the Xero Practice Manager user list, it will see the email address (email@example.com) but it will not bring it back in because it will see it assigned to another FYI.