The following is an example of how to set up a Custom Process that uses a View and Summary Notifications.
This example sends out a notification when a client has uploaded documents to their OneDrive Upload Folder (refer to Sharing the Upload Folder with the Client).
This article contains the following sections:
- Create the View that will Trigger the Process
- Add the Custom Process
- Add a Step to Alter the Document
- Set up the Notification about the Client Upload (as a Summary Notification or as a Comment)
- Set the Status of the Process to "Active"
- Testing and Running the Process
- When the Notification is triggered
Create the View that will Trigger the Process
This process needs a Documents view to be set up that will be used to trigger the Custom Process. Refer to Adding/Removing/Moving Columns in a List, Sorting and Filtering and Saving Changes to the View Layout, Modifying and Deleting Views.
For this example:
- Include the column Source in the view.
- Filter the Source column to show only documents with Source set to "Client Upload".
- Include the Workflow column in the view.
- Filter the Workflow column to show only documents with Workflow status of "Not Started"
Save the View, for example, as Client Uploads.
Add the Custom Process
The following is the Custom Process.
- The Name has been set as "Client Upload - Import and Refile". This is included in the Notification in FYI and, depending on the user's settings, in the email notification that is sent.
- If required, add any additional description of the Process in the Details.
- The Trigger in the Process is set as "Schedule".
- The Schedule has been set as "Every 2 hours" to run the process every 2 hours and the Start Date has been set.
- The Filter Type is set as "Documents - View Filter".
- The View is selected as the view that was created "Client Uploads".
- As no documents are created by the process, Inherit Job is uncheckmarked.
- When sending notifications that a client has uploaded a document, only one notification needs to be sent. So for this process, you would checkmark Run Only Once Per Document.
Add a Step to Alter the Document
The Alter Document Step is used to refile the document.
In the Filing section:
- Set the Name using the Merge Field "Original Filename"
- Change the Cabinet and any Categories as appropriate for your practice.
Set up the Notification about the Client Upload (as a Summary Notification or as a Comment)
There are two ways to notify users of the Client Upload.
- Add a Summary Notification step.
- Add a Comment to the Alter Document step.
Add a Step for the Summary Notification
Add another step and set up the Summary Notification.
For Notify User, this has been set to select the relative Manager.
If required, add a Custom Message that displays below the link in the notification and in the notification email.
Adding a Comment to the Alter Document Step
The following is an example of a Comment added to the Alter Document step. This will send a Comment Notification to the Manager and to a specific user. For information on adding Comments to Processes, refer to Automation Notifications.
Set the Status of the Process to "Active"
When you are ready, set the Status of the process to "Active".
Testing and Running the Process
When setting up a Custom Process, it is very important to test it to ensure it is working as expected. Refer to Testing Custom Processes.
When the Notification is triggered
When the process is triggered (either via a Comment or Summary Notification) the recipient receives the notification.
- Where the notification is sent via a Comment, clicking the link in the notification opens the drawer of the document that the client uploaded.
- Where the Summary Notification is used, clicking the link in the notification opens the Client Uploads view.
The Client Uploads view will grow as clients upload documents. When reviewing an uploaded document, team members should update the Workflow Status to "In Progress" to acknowledge they have reviewed it and to remove the document from the Client Uploads view. This can be done for the individual document or using Bulk Update. The workflow change ensures that the Client Uploads view only shows uploaded documents that require action. This is especially important where notifying users with the Summary Notification.